IGNORED

Some questions about playercolors and Multisprite Kernel

STGuy1040

Hello all!

I have some questions, so please bear with this batari Basic noob. :D I'm back to working on my Robohunter game and I'm confused on the playercolor functions. I'm using set kernel_options playercolors player1colors pfcolors, and the player1 sprite displays color perfectly fine, but player 0 doesn't for some reason. I define the player colors at the beginning but it doesn't seem to work. I did a bonehead measure and added the playercolor values for player0 in the animation frames but that obviously didn't work either. :dunce:

Oh, I haven't changed the animation for player0right1 yet in case you notice while checking over my code. :P

Also a quick question on the Multisprite Kernel: since I am working on a game that requires more than one enemy sprite, will it be possible to use playercolors and the Multisprite Kernel together without sacrificing both missiles?

robohunter.bas

Edited by STGuy1040

When you're using playercolors and player1colors you're losing both missiles. You still had code for the missiles in your file, after i removed it the playercolors worked for both sprites.

Also you have to define the playfield colors when you're using the pfcolors option. I suck at explaining things so i attached a changed version of your code that works as expected.

You can't use any kernel options with the multisprite kernel, see here.

robohunter02.bas

When you're using playercolors and player1colors you're losing both missiles. You still had code for the missiles in your file, after i removed it the playercolors worked for both sprites.

Also you have to define the playfield colors when you're using the pfcolors option. I suck at explaining things so i attached a changed version of your code that works as expected.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help!

I guess the pfcolors will have to be removed if I want to give the player the ability to shoot and have multiple enemy sprites.

I guess the pfcolors will have to be removed if I want to give the player the ability to shoot and have multiple enemy sprites.

No Problem! You don't lose a missile when you use pfcolors so removing it won't help you. But why don't you just make the robots single-color? IMO you can make some good looking robots with only one color, just look at Berzerk or Power Off!.

Pfcolors has no missile limitations, but you lose a missile for each multicolor player in the standard kernel (no multicolor players allowed in multisprite kernel). But you could still flicker the ball object to draw all your bullets. And in the standard kernel you could still have up to three independently moving multicolor enemies with 30hz flicker, and with some thoughtful programming could extend that to as many as nine "shootable" enemies with NUSIZx (although in that instance, each group of three would still move together, like a military unit).

I've attached a quick edit that might help produce a sample "mob" of Robotron grunts. In the attached file, I made two small changes:

Outside of the loop, I altered your robot sprite and colortable to create a column of three robots instead of one:

rem CHANGE #1
rem Draw a taller player1 sprite with three robot shapes
 player1color:
 $D8
 $D8
 $30
 $08
 $08
 $30
 $1E
 $30
 $D8
 $D8
 $D8
 $30
 $08
 $08
 $30
 $1E
 $30
 $D8
 $D8
 $D8
 $30
 $08
 $08
 $30
 $1E
 $30
end

player1
 player1:
 %000000000
 %000000000
 %001111100
 %010111010
 %010111010
 %001111100
 %001111100
 %000111000
 %000000000
 %000000000
 %000000000
 %001111100
 %010111010
 %010111010
 %001111100
 %001111100
 %000111000
 %000000000
 %000000000
 %000000000
 %001111100
 %010111010
 %010111010
 %001111100
 %001111100
 %000111000
end

Inside the loop, changed the NUSIZ1 property to create two horizontal duplicates of the robot sprite.

rem CHANGE #2
rem Draw three close copies of player1 
  NUSIZ1=$03

So now, you have a "mob" of nine robots hunting the character as one big group. They cannot move independently from each other, but they still hurt the character when they touch him. Not sure if this is helpful or not. For independently moving multicolor robots in bB, you will have to use flicker.

Cheers,

Jarod.

robohunter_enemy_mob.bas

Edited by jrok