IGNORED

"Import" issues... sigh

DaytonaUSA

Ok, fun times....

As most of you know, I have a Japanese white 40 gig PS3. I bought it not only to play ps3 games, but to also play my psone games, which I love.

I decided to put a copy of Need for Speed II in, one of my favorite games... and it says "This disc cannot be started due to region restrictions"... crud.

I seriously feel a bit jipped here.. what can I do to make this system play it? I've already sold my ps2 and psone in anticipation of getting the PS3, so please don't say the typical "play it on a playstation" :ponder:

I guess when I heard "region free", while I knew it didn't apply to ps2 games on systems that play those games, I never thought about the psone situation. Anything I can do here? :-/ :(

I think your out of luck.

PS1 and PS2 games are not region free so if you try to play North American PS1\PS2 games in a Japanese region PS3 it wont work.

My guess....but thats what I beleive to be true.

It seems you CAN play downloadable PS1 games on any system from what I read. So.......if Need for Speed ever comes to the US\UK PSN store which I doubt then you may have to download it for 6 bucks to play it on the Japanese console.

Sadly the american PSN store sucks for PS1 games.

I think your out of luck.

PS1 and PS2 games are not region free so if you try to play North American PS1\PS2 games in a Japanese region PS3 it wont work.

My guess....but thats what I beleive to be true.

It seems you CAN play downloadable PS1 games on any system from what I read. So.......if Need for Speed ever comes to the US\UK PSN store which I doubt then you may have to download it for 6 bucks to play it on the Japanese console.

Sadly the american PSN store sucks for PS1 games.

Sigh, wonderful >_>. Figured as much. Thanks for the response at least. I *wish* Sony took more charge with putting psone titles on there. Live has xbox titles going. Sony has it easy as they don't even put ps2 games on there to dload. PS titles should be a walk in the park. That is one thing I think Nintendo has done a very good job with, and it's paid off for them.

Worth remembering that the PS1 support on the PS3 is software, and even with the right region, it may not play all of your games. My PAL unit won't run Wip3Out for instance.

I'd really recommend picking up a second hand slim PS2, for PS2 & 1 games (You're certain to have room for it, it's tiny) and maybe using this as an excuse to pick up some Japanese exclusive PS1 titles, you lucky devil.