IGNORED

Tapeworm-like game

atari2600land

I'm working on a game like Tapeworm for the Atari 2600, and I need a little help. Right now, when you eat a treat, the worm is supposed to grow by one pfblock, which it does, but it does it on its own time. What I want is for it to do it automatically. How would I achieve this?

nybbles3a.bas.bin

nybbles3a.bas

I'm working on a game like Tapeworm for the Atari 2600, and I need a little help. Right now, when you eat a treat, the worm is supposed to grow by one pfblock, which it does, but it does it on its own time. What I want is for it to do it automatically. How would I achieve this?

How are you keeping track of the worm segments? A tapeworm-style game is unlikely to get very hard unless the worm can get quite long, and the 2600 doesn't really have a whole lot of spare RAM.

I think there are probably a few good ways to track a worm up to a certain length. I agree though that this would be the biggest obstacle in recreating this game in bB. I don't know of any other way to store and retrieve the movement history of a sprite in ram than to use a bunch of if-thens, it's beyond my abilities. With the superchip the length would be around 30 segments, without the superchip I'd say around 8 max.

Since games like this take up such a small amount of rom, I think it would be cool to see a superchip multicart with a bunch of these smaller games on it.

Edited by MausGames

Just have an X,Y for the end of the snake, then 2 bits for each cardinal direction toward the head as 00, 01, 10, 11. That's 2 bytes (or 12 bits if you really want to get technical) for the first segment and one byte for every additional 4. With Superchip, you could have a decent game. With regular RAM, you could also have a reasonably long snake - as the playfield isn't very big to begin with.

How are you keeping track of the worm segments? A tapeworm-style game is unlikely to get very hard unless the worm can get quite long, and the 2600 doesn't really have a whole lot of spare RAM.

I'm keeping track of the worm segments by what direction the player is moving when a timer reaches a certain point, then storing that info and retrieving it when it's needed, thus making the worm move. If I wanted to, I could make the worm even longer with variables u-y. If you look at my .bas file, you'll see that I could make it about twice as long as the longest it gets now because I'd use these variables as u{0}, u{1}, etc.

Anyway, any help on my original question would be very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...