IGNORED

Atari ST RPGs?

Tempest

Can someone list some good RPG's for the Atari ST/STE? I generally like Bard's Tale type RPGs, but other types are good as well. I hear the Ishar and Phantasie series are good ones to look into.

Tempest

They did Bards tale for the ST

Yeah but I've played Bard's Tale I-III and Ultima I-V to death on my Apple II. :) I do need to check out Ultima VI though.

Tempest

The Phantasie series, I, II and III (IV was only released in Japan), were my all-time favorite RPGs on the Commodore 64. I've since collected most other versions, including for the Atari ST, which along with the almost exactly-the-same Amiga version looks the best. To me, the Phantasie series is very close to playing tabletop D&D, though of course keeping in mind that the originals were for 48K Apple II's...

The Phantasie series, I, II and III (IV was only released in Japan),

Wow I never knew there was a Phantasie IV. Too bad it's in Japanese, I actually have an MSX 2+. I wonder if anyone has bothered to translate it? Probably not...

Tempest

Yes, Phantasie IV was released for the Japanese Sharp computer and MSX2 specification. There is a fan-made English translation released as a ROM a year or two back, which I have in my archives, but I haven't gotten around to trying yet. I want to convert it to a real disk for use on my MSX2 system, and, barring that, use it on the Pandora via emulation after that comes...

Why there was never an official US release is beyond me, but of course it's all but impossible to know what the full story is with the game... Glad to know you're a big Phantasie fan too. I also have Legends and Legends II, which were solid attempts to clone most of the gameplay from Phantasie I and II on the TI-99/4a: http://www.adamantyr.com/crpg/article_01.htm

I have the MSX2 version of Phantasie boxed, but was never able to afford a boxed version of Phantasie IV, which can sometimes hit triple digits.

How about Legends of Valor? d-bug did a HD installable conversion for it, and enabled it to run on faster machines. And on the quicker MSTE and the Falcon (especially) you get a huge speed advantage over stock STs. Sweet. :cool:

I forgot all about that game. I could never figure out if the game had an actual plot, plus it ran dog-slow on a standard 1040ST. I really need to try it out on my Falcon.

Can someone list some good RPG's for the Atari ST/STE? I generally like Bard's Tale type RPGs, but other types are good as well. I hear the Ishar and Phantasie series are good ones to look into.

Tempest

Some of my favorites are:

Dungeon Master

Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back

Ultima: 3-4-5-6 (don't like 6's graphics, but love its features)

The Bards Tale

Phantasie 1-2-3

AmberStar (this game rocks!)

Hero's of the Lance

Hillsfar

Pool of Radiance

Lure of the Temptress (is that really an RPG? Love the graphics though)

Legends Of Valor

and I'm sure there are others - this is off the top of my poor, just got up

from working 12hr nightshifts, befuddled mind... :)

Edited by DarkLord

Why there was never an official US release is beyond me, but of course it's all but impossible to know what the full story is with the game... Glad to know you're a big Phantasie fan too. I also have Legends and Legends II, which were solid attempts to clone most of the gameplay from Phantasie I and II on the TI-99/4a: http://www.adamantyr.com/crpg/article_01.htm

Fun factoid: I used to know Ed Johnson who created Legends for the TI-99/4A 20-something years ago. His house is a couple miles from mine.