IGNORED

5200, self centering joysticks?

82-T/A

Hey guys...

Maybe I'm nuts, but I have a set of normal 5200 joysticks that are self centering??? I just assumed there was a newer version and an older version, and that the first version weren't. I don't remember where I got these from. Anyway, I was considering selling all my games (except my 2600 and a few other things) because I'm going through an early mid-life crsis (30 years old, and wife just had a baby). And I started going through my stuff.

Are these rare? Or could someone have modified them?

As it turns out... it seems the market for video games has totally fallen through the floor. I see people getting barely $50 bucks for mint in box 5200 systems. Guess I'm going to keep mostly everything then... I'll probably be happy I did when I get out of this phase.

I'm not aware of ATari officially releasing self-centering joysticks for the 5200. I do know some were in the works, and have seen some prototypes of these kind of sticks.

I would say that someone else modified those joysticks....Anybody else have an opinion about this?

Sometime the rubber boot makes them pretty much "self centering". Mine always stay slightly center.

yea i think you are confusing boot reflex to centering

centering woudl mean that it springs back to the center the boot kind of just makes it not relax in a absolute direction

pop in missile command wigle the joy around and see if the cursor really springs back to exact center

Sometime the rubber boot makes them pretty much "self centering". Mine always stay slightly center.

yea i think you are confusing boot reflex to centering

centering woudl mean that it springs back to the center the boot kind of just makes it not relax in a absolute direction

pop in missile command wigle the joy around and see if the cursor really springs back to exact center

Ok, I'll check it out. I seem to recall that they had springs inside of them though...

• 2 weeks later...