IGNORED

Bought a 1040STf, did I make a mistake?

MaXKiLLz

You never make a mistake when you buy any ST machine, they all rock.

hehe, good point, I think it just boils down to the monitor issue. The "m" has the TV monitor out right? and the "f" does not. As long as you got a monitor for the ST then you're good to go, start figuring out a way to get programs to it. There are a ton of discussions on how to do that. the easiest way I found was using PC formatted floppies. The ST can read them so you can get some games copied over to PC formatted floppies just make sure the floppy is a normal 800k floppy and not an HD 1.4MB. You can sometimes use tape to cover the hole that the floppy drive senses for the HD and reformat it to be an 800k floppy

the trick is finding games that are under 800k, some are not. you may be lucky in that the ST you have may have some upgrades hiding underneath the hood. so many people here have gotten a used machine only to find a cool upgrade they or the seller knew about.

use google to find game and disk utility archives, they're everywhere and free. main thing is to have fun :)

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

what makes you ask that question? how much did you drop on it? did it come with the monitor? have you fired it up yet?

All this STe talk got me thinking. I paid $97 plus shipping. It arrives this coming Monday. I have an SC1224 monitor waiting for it. Once it arrives, I'll start searching for software. I had an 1040ST during my teenage years. I'm trying to reacquire all the computers I owned during childhood.

what makes you ask that question? how much did you drop on it? did it come with the monitor? have you fired it up yet?

All this STe talk got me thinking. I paid $97 plus shipping. It arrives this coming Monday. I have an SC1224 monitor waiting for it. Once it arrives, I'll start searching for software. I had an 1040ST during my teenage years. I'm trying to reacquire all the computers I owned during childhood.

sounds like you're in for some fun time :) [again]

keep us updated

The STe's are worth it just for the ease of memory upgrade alone. If you have a PC with a floppy drive check out floimg. It allows you to directly write ST format disk files (like .ST and .MSA) right to floppies on your PC. No fiddling around with trying to transfer images to the ST. ;)

hmm, yes don't want sound mean but you seem to have paid little bit more than necessary. But as long as it works and you have fun, all is good !

Please show me where I can get one for less...

ebay, the trick is to do a saved search so you get emailed searched results daily. And then when you find something you like just wait until the last 10 seconds (so keep refreshing the main auction page in one window with your max bid ready to submit in another window simultaneously) before submitting your bid of a reasonable price. If the auction seems devoid of activity more often than not you will get a bargain :)

Condition does make a big difference to price. the ST's grey/blue colour is very susceptible to yellowing and one that still actually has that original lovely blueish/greyish tint to the plastics and shiny white keys will be worth more than a yellowed piece of rubbish (even though the yellowing can be removed now)

hmm, yes don't want sound mean but you seem to have paid little bit more than necessary. But as long as it works and you have fun, all is good !

Please show me where I can get one for less...

ebay, the trick is to do a saved search so you get emailed searched results daily. And then when you find something you like just wait until the last 10 seconds (so keep refreshing the main auction page in one window with your max bid ready to submit in another window simultaneously) before submitting your bid of a reasonable price. If the auction seems devoid of activity more often than not you will get a bargain :)

Condition does make a big difference to price. the ST's grey/blue colour is very susceptible to yellowing and one that still actually has that original lovely blueish/greyish tint to the plastics and shiny white keys will be worth more than a yellowed piece of rubbish (even though the yellowing can be removed now)

Use a sniper like Gixen to do the bidding for you in the last few seconds, then you don't get tempted to overbid :)