IGNORED

New KMK/JZ Interface with CF card

dinosaur

I saw this on eBay and even with shipping,looks like a good deal!

Tested and working

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-8-bit-KMK-idea-h...idZp1638Q2em122

It’s a good price and I've bought from that guy before and was happy (although he did only use a bubble envelope... my item did survive).

I'd just say you might want to consider an SIO device (sio2ide or sio2sd) also because of the advantages of the media being formatted in fat16 (can use the whole media, can drop it in a PC to put ATRs you downloaded on the card or to make a backup of your card). Otherwise, yeah, cool.

Edited by sl0re

I can't seem to download the PDF for this thing, what exactly does it do? the guy has a bunch of other stuff for sale too, all atari related including a satan disk. I think though I'm holding out for the ultra satan, but what does this KMK thing do?

It's an 8 bit PBI based IDE controller. Probably the fastest hard drive controller available for the A8s.

Really nice unit.

I can't seem to download the PDF for this thing, what exactly does it do? the guy has a bunch of other stuff for sale too, all atari related including a satan disk. I think though I'm holding out for the ultra satan, but what does this KMK thing do?

The one referenced appears to be this one:

http://atarifanstore.selfip.com/idea.htm

Since part of the device is covered, it's not clear if this has a cart jack on it. If that is of interest, you should ask the seller (or be prepared to add one yourself).

There are many threads/posts here about the KMK/JZ interface:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...0&hl=update

Look at the top of post #54 which shows the KMK/JZ using 512-byte sectors in "native format" with SDX 4.4x.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...26074&st=40

-Larry

The one referenced appears to be this one:

http://atarifanstore.selfip.com/idea.htm

Since part of the device is covered, it's not clear if this has a cart jack on it. If that is of interest, you should ask the seller (or be prepared to add one yourself).

There are many threads/posts here about the KMK/JZ interface:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...0&hl=update

Look at the top of post #54 which shows the KMK/JZ using 512-byte sectors in "native format" with SDX 4.4x.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...26074&st=40

-Larry

I have one, it came with a place to add a cart jack but it was not attached. Also, the solder points on the board didn't really hold solder well. I'd touch them up with something before adding the cart connector and soldering it in (to avoid the trouble I had getting one to work...).

KMK/JZ interface is nice and now I would like to add a cartridge connector to it.

But my case is hot glued shut.

Is there an easy way to open this without breaking it. I understand I will need to modify the case to expose the cartridge connector, and don't mind. I just don't want to break the case.

I can't seem to download the PDF for this thing

The web server was down today for a reason, but it is working now, so the file should be available again.

thanks I'll check it again...

Does anyone know if I can run games from this? How would I go about copying ATR disk images to the hard drive and will the games run that way?

I am one of those classic Atari computer guys who is pretty much only interested in running games with the exception of the ST, which I would use for music as well. I have no interest in doing desk top publishing or other stuff like that, just the games, so with that very limited and I admit narrow focus, would this thing be worth getting for my newly acquired 130XE?

The web server was down today for a reason, but it is working now, so the file should be available again.

Does anyone know if I can run games from this? How would I go about copying ATR disk images to the hard drive and will the games run that way?

I am one of those classic Atari computer guys who is pretty much only interested in running games with the exception of the ST, which I would use for music as well. I have no interest in doing desk top publishing or other stuff like that, just the games, so with that very limited and I admit narrow focus, would this thing be worth getting for my newly acquired 130XE?

This one rocks, but its probably not the one for you due to your needs. It doesn't write in PC fat16 so it's not going to help you move ATRs. You'd still need an SIO2PC and Ape.

But, if you got an SIO2SD card (which the same guy is selling), you could plug the SD card into a PC and move atrs to the card that way.

KMK/JZ interface is nice and now I would like to add a cartridge connector to it.

Is there an easy way to open this without breaking it. I understand I will need to modify the case to expose the cartridge connector, and don't mind. I just don't want to break the case.

Mine came bare like the one in this auction.

Isopropyl alcohol will dissolve the bond quickly. I used a Q-tip with IPA around the joint and the top came right off.

-Larry

This one rocks, but its probably not the one for you due to your needs. It doesn't write in PC fat16 so it's not going to help you move ATRs. You'd still need an SIO2PC and Ape.

But, if you got an SIO2SD card (which the same guy is selling), you could plug the SD card into a PC and move atrs to the card that way.

interesting, does the SIO2SD allow you to launch disk images right from the SD card with no computer interface? is there documentation for it somewhere?

interesting, does the SIO2SD allow you to launch disk images right from the SD card with no computer interface? is there documentation for it somewhere?

I have an SIO2SD (that I bought off this guy too). Yes - you can mount and launch disk images using its built in interface with no additional computer interface. Mounts 16mb MyDos images etc without hassle. I didn't get a manual but it has only a few buttons and tells you what it is doing onscreen, so pretty easy to work out. If you google SIO2SD you'll get a website that shows how the buttons work.

Mine works a treat - really easy to transfer dozens of big disk images directly off a PC.

I have an SIO2SD (that I bought off this guy too). Yes - you can mount and launch disk images using its built in interface with no additional computer interface. Mounts 16mb MyDos images etc without hassle. I didn't get a manual but it has only a few buttons and tells you what it is doing onscreen, so pretty easy to work out. If you google SIO2SD you'll get a website that shows how the buttons work.

Mine works a treat - really easy to transfer dozens of big disk images directly off a PC.

that sounds really great and exactly like what I need, thanks!! I will save up some pennies to get one :)

Yes and Yes... but I don't have the documentation.

SD has three ways to set up an ATR to launch. A8 software, buttons on the unit (plus that little lcd screen to see what your doing), and a config file you can see while you have the card in a PC (although I'm having trouble changing it; I need to get the docs to double check this one).

Speaking of this exact model; I just (as in just a minute ago) got the cart socket I added to one to work. The solder pads don't really hold solder. I had to brush a silver pen over them all. They're too little to do it precisely, so just brushed it over them all and then wiped around them when they were half dry. The solder mask is good so there were no shorts after a little clean up...

You can run games as long as they are in the form of executable files. You can also sector-copy a disk image onto a partition and boot from that, but this isn't very convenient.

In other words, this interface is not a floppy disk emulator (like SIO2SD, for example), and it is not a separate computer, so that it could manage files (i.e. ATR images) on a PC file system by itself. This is an ATA host adapter, that provides access to an IDE disk as a device. All the stuff necessary to do higher level I/O is done by Atari and its DOS.

The purpose of the device is rather different than just booting games. It is more like a hard disk controller card for a normal home computer. I'd say, that if you use DOS and need ramdisk, because serial drives are too slow for you, then you need this adapter, as hard drive partirions are bigger and faster than ramdisks, and the media is not volatile.