IGNORED

Cool, didn't know my 360 would recognize my iPod

HammR25

I bought a 120gb hard drive yesterday and was trying to figure out how to copy my mp3s to it so I hooked up my iPod to the USB port and the 360 recognized all the songs on it and all my playlists on it as well and I could play the songs immediately.

I might not have bought the drive if I'd known it would do that, especially since the only other way MS gives you to put songs on your hard drive is to rip all the songs from the cds. I already did that once to my computer, don't need to do it again. I also don't have Windows Media Center or Vista so I couldn't stream them either.

Too bad my PS3 doesn't offer that functionality.

The 360 recognizes all the songs and plays off the iPod playlist without doing anything. The PS3 won't do that. I suppose it would be ok if it recognized the playlists but it doesn't. You have to create your own on the PS3 and those are limited as well. They have a limit of how many songs can go in them.

I assumed the 360 would just see it as a hard drive like the PS3 does but it has real functionality. I assumed it would work fine with the Zune but not the iPod.

My Xbox will not recognize my Girlfriend's iPod. :( I have a "newer" Falcon model too.

What kind of iPod is it? I don't think some of the newer ones work (ie the iPod Touch). You also have to DL the iPod compatibility update for the 360 in order to get it to work. I think it asked me if I wanted to install it automatically the first time I plugged in my iPod to the 360.

Edited by Lord Helmet

I might not have bought the drive if I'd known it would do that, especially since the only other way MS gives you to put songs on your hard drive is to rip all the songs from the cds. I already did that once to my computer, don't need to do it again. I also don't have Windows Media Center or Vista so I couldn't stream them either.

You don't need either Windows MCE or Vista. Windows Media Player 11 streams to a networked Xbox 360 perfectly. You just need XP SP2 for it to work.

My Xbox will not recognize my Girlfriend's iPod. :( I have a "newer" Falcon model too.

All 360's work with iPod. Some 360's might need a free downloaded update file. Here's the info.

I suspect (but I have not tested - down own an iPod) that if all the files were AAC and protected for iPod use only, they console may look as if it does not even recognize anythig plugged in. That's the console's default behavior if it sees no acitonable files at all.