IGNORED

HD-AV cable question.

Zeptari

I was looking at the back of my 360 last night... Checking out the manufacturer date..

She's still going strong... made summer of 06! edit: July 15th 2006!

anyways... what is this small port on the back of the HD cables?

I think my tv has one too... but I'm not sure if the one on my tv is an OUT or IN port.

my guess it's for hooking my 360 up to surround sound systems...

-rick

post-4314-1235602519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zeptari1

my guess it's for hooking my 360 up to surround sound systems...

Bingo. It's an optical digital audio port, that allows the XBox 360 to send Dolby Digital 5.1 and other such formats to a compatible receiver.

Thanks for the quick reply... I looked around the net for an answer... had a hard time... found mostly links

to stores selling the cable.

And I bought my 360 used so I didn't get a user manual.

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

The VGA cables also have optical output and I use it with the 360. The component cables for the original XBox had an optical output and I use that as well. The PS2 slim has the optical output right on the back of the console so you can use it regardless of the type of cable you use. I was pretty disappointed that the Wii has no optical output. They relied on PLII again.

Anyway, if you have an optical port to plug into then it is worth using the port.

Probably a stupid question, but does this meanIhave to use X-box spacific HD cable? I've never hooked the HDMI up on mine as I have the VGA instead, but I didn't know. It has the HDMI port though, and I've never seen one of those plugs on any of mine.

Probably a stupid question, but does this meanIhave to use X-box spacific HD cable? I've never hooked the HDMI up on mine as I have the VGA instead, but I didn't know. It has the HDMI port though, and I've never seen one of those plugs on any of mine.

The HDMI port is standard; you can use any HDMI cable with it. HDMI supports digital audio as well as digital video.

For any other type of connection, you have to use an XBox-specific cable that plugs into the XBox 360's A/V port. This port also supports digital audio, but the cable you use has to provide the connector for it. The XBox 360 component video cable does, but I don't think the VGA cable does.

Edited by skunkworx