IGNORED

Stguild BBS

okay so tonight I realized I have no idea how to use ST terminal software. on the a8 I just pull up IceT and enter the terminal from the menu and the lantronix comes up with LOCAL~> and I can telnet from there, so can someone with a lot of patience walk me through using TAZ to be able to dial into the BBS

(would also like to be able to telnet into IRC)

I could talk you through it. Honestly though, if you can get the term program talking to the Lantronix (making sure all the baud is the same and so forth) you can work the Lantronix from the ST like you do the Atari 8.

As for the telnet into IRC... there is a list I have up on a BBS that links to all the Atari BBS's (except the ST Guild at the moment)

telnet://rdfig.net (Prison Board BBS)

hit return till you get to the main menu

X for internet

A for Atari

Select the Atari IRC option.

I think my problem is I don't know how to work the terminal program properly. I believe I have everything set correctly, in fact it mirrors the Lantronix and the settings I use on the a8, but I don't get anything on screen. SO either

A) My STe serial port is borked

b) It's hooked up wrong (I've tried with and without a null cable)

c) I don't know how to operate the software properly

It's very frustrating to be sure.

Can't speak for anyone else, or on what they are using, but I'm using *this*

Lantronix device with my BBS (and have been for several years - its my 2nd one):

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/uds1100.html

It absolutely does not use any null-modem cable or adaptor.

Here is a pic of the end attached to the first Lantronix device I had (it eventually

died and I replaced it with the newer darker colored one), the other end plugs

straight into the serial port of the Mega ST. Both devices work the same way.

post-5822-128240738704_thumb.jpg

Very strange... I know of at least 4 people using the Lantronix MSS100 (the one in your photo) and they are all using a serial cable with a null modem adaptor or a straight up null modem cable.

Maybe there is something on the serial port on the Mega that's different? (doesnt it have two or three options for serial connection that are wired slightly differently)

Very strange... I know of at least 4 people using the Lantronix MSS100 (the one in your photo) and they are all using a serial cable with a null modem adaptor or a straight up null modem cable.

Maybe there is something on the serial port on the Mega that's different? (doesnt it have two or three options for serial connection that are wired slightly differently)

Perhaps you're talking about 8bit machines? I've heard that the 8bits have to use a null xxx with things

like the P:R:, etc...

No, I believe you're thinking of the Mega ST(e). The Mega ST only has the standard ST serial port while the

Mega STe has multiple serial ports, including high speed ones, as well as the stock ST one.

Well all I can say is that my setup with a regular serial cable from the modem port on the STe needs a null modem to work. I've tried it without and I get nothing.

I'm not doubting your word as I know you probably know more about the Atari ST in your little finger than I will ever know in my entire life LOL...

that's not a dumb question, it's a good question... Every single item I tried it said I was not allowed to do... SO I gave up and disconnected.

Hey guys, where are you downloading from? My BBS or the ST-Guild?

Its easy from my BBS - but it will probably depend on what program

you're using to telnet with.

For example, I use the terminal under Linux to telent into my BBS

a lot. Once there, if I want to download a file, it goes like this:

(From the MainMenu)

B - Browse File Section

Press any key to continue (a couple of times, text blurbs about the file section)

Enter File Area, Or [L]ist? (pick a number to go to that file area)

Now you can look at individual files - you can browse them individually,

or my fav way is to hit "C" for catalog, which shows a whole page with a

mini-description of each file. From here, you can look at individual files.

D to download, picking the letter for the appropriate file.

Now here is where it gets interesting. If you have a program that auto detects

zmodem downloads, then it should be automatic. If not, then you'll have to follow

the directions for whatever you are using. For example, using my Linux shell, I

hit control ] to start ztelnet, then rz -v filename and it downloads the file.

After that, you usually hit return, your download should be complete, and you're

back at the menu.

Hope this helps guys.

• 5 weeks later...

Its so odd...here at home, using my Linux box, I can logon to my BBS and it gives this:

Connected to 192.168.0.104.

Escape character is blah, blah, blah

which is appropriate since its across the local Lan.

So just out of curiosity, I took my Linux laptop to work, and logged on from there. Lo

and behold, without hitting any keys, it gave a connect message.

So whats the deal with Windows? It surely doesn't do it. Makes me wonder about Macs.

Anyone got a Mac and can try to logon to see what it shows?

BTW, I e-mailed Lantronix customer support and they said what I was asking couldn't be

done, that text couldn't be sent on a "connect"... :(

EDIT - just found the text:

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for contacting Lantronix Technical Support.

The only option for a text response when a connection is made sends a character out of the serial port, i.e. if a terminal is connected to the port and opens an outgoing connection to a network host and Connect Response is enabled the character C will be sent to the terminal when the connection is established, D will be sent when the connection is terminated and N is sent if the host is unreachable. See "b) Response" in Table 7-5 on page 44 of the UDS1100 User Guide, http://www.lantronix.com/pdf/UDS1100_UG.pdf

There is no method to send a Connect Response to an incoming network connection to the UDS1100's serial port. The UDS will keep DSR de-asserted until there is a connection, then assert it when the connection is established. If the serial device can be programmed to send a message into the UDS1100's serial port when it sees DSR go high, then your users will see that message.

Regards,

Gary Fisher

LANTRONIX

Senior Technical Support Engineer

167 Technology Drive, Irvine, CA 92618

Phone: (800) 422-7044 or (949) 453-7198

• 1 month later...

Ok, I got my Atari setup going again.

Called Darkforces, Boot Factory, Mousenet, Thunderdome, and EVEN SAW ACTIVITY ON THE GROVE. I just about fell out of my chair.

So how is the ST Guild? Still up? I'd like to "call" it.

Got a Mac which is not setup atm, but I think I had to hit Enter using BetterTelnet on it as well.

I can try that again when I have it up and running again.

If you are 'very' nosey about that you may remind me of testing that in short intervals... :D

Got a Mac which is not setup atm, but I think I had to hit Enter using BetterTelnet on it as well.

I can try that again when I have it up and running again.

If you are 'very' nosey about that you may remind me of testing that in short intervals... :D

Hey Jens! Thanks for the info. Sure would appreciate it if you could

verify that.

I don't quite understand it though. Why does the shell under Linux

return a "connect" message and not Windows or (apparently) the Mac?

Is there some flag or setting that can be used with these systems to

change this?

Thanks.

PS Here is a screenshot of when I connect locally.

post-5822-128829946817_thumb.jpg

Ok, I got my Atari setup going again.

Called Darkforces, Boot Factory, Mousenet, Thunderdome, and EVEN SAW ACTIVITY ON THE GROVE. I just about fell out of my chair.

So how is the ST Guild? Still up? I'd like to "call" it.

I put it up for a month and no one calls. LOL then people want to get on after I take it down!

Hey Jens! Thanks for the info. Sure would appreciate it if you could

verify that.

Just tried the 'DOS-Box' on my Win2k Setup, which needs one [Enter] to see the 'Press Enter'-Message. ;)

Same on my emaculated SheepShaver 8600 Macintosh which uses Cyberdog for Telnet.

I additionally d/l'ed BetterTelnet to verify this once again.

In each case the 'ATA' is not shown before pressing [Enter], so I confirm this to be verified for pre OS X Macintoshes. :D

A hint if you are interested in wading through sources:

The BetterTelnet sourcecode is available on the net. ;)

• 4 weeks later...