IGNORED

7800 Development 2

kamakazi

Hey everyone.

Thanks to income tax, I was able to obtain a new laptop. I would like to be able to use this computer to start testing some actual 7800 code since attempting to do the same on the ST is starting to look like a dead end.

I went to www.atari7800.com and got development software from them. But I would like to double-check what all I would need. If someone will create a list of what is needed I would be greatful.

I need the following software packages for 7800 development:

Artwork Program

Assembler

Emulator

I missed placed my copy of Crimson Editor and I hope I put it on here somewhere.

On a side note, once I have a sample code, how can I burn it to a ROM using my laptop for testing on a REAL 7800? Thankx in advance!!

1.) The 7800 development software is for the Atari ST, not for a modern PC.

2.) The 7800 dev-kit requires a parallel port, which your new laptop doesn't have (or it's not a new laptop).

3.) You need an EPROM burner, you can't burn ROM's. You'll need an EPROM PCB as well and unless you have money to burn, you need an EPROM eraser.

2.) The 7800 dev-kit requires a parallel port, which your new laptop doesn't have (or it's not a new laptop).

You can look here (http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...37476&st=25) for a thread about updating the DevOS 7800 environment to work on modern day PCs.

--Selgus

I know that Eckhard is tinkering with his DevOS, I think the OP is talking about the real dev-kit.

DevCard7800.jpg

I was actually refering to developing games using my PC, not the Atari. I was needing to know what software to use or was best.

For an assembler I'd recommend DASM.

For the emulator I'd recommend the ProSystem one (no problems with the ROM images I've tried so far).

For an artwork package you can use something like Jasc's (now Corel) PaintShop Pro and suitable scripts (in C/C++, Perl, Python etc.) to convert them into files suitable for your application. Or you could try Gorf's sprite editor (not tried it yet) :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134722

You'll also need the signing application a78sign.

You can look here (http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...37476&st=25) for a thread about updating the DevOS 7800 environment to work on modern day PCs.

--Selgus

I know that Eckhard is tinkering with his DevOS, I think the OP is talking about the real dev-kit.

Ah, sorry, I meant to direct this at the original poster, if he wanted to try and get a PC-based 7800 development system up and running. I am sure you know all about DevOS. :)

--Selgus

At first, I was trying to develop games for the 7800 through actual Atari hardware/software. But not being able to find all the parts to build my own development card really put an x on it.

This time around, I am going to attempt to do so using easily available tools for modern day PCs and then test on an emulator. It's about the best I can do at this point.

The only reason I was doing it the "hard" way was to eventually try and tap into MARIA's real power I've read/heard so much about. I wasn't sure if emulators would be capable of this accuracy but I have to admit that I'm really impressed with ProSystem emulator. It's really nice. And I like the interface and ease of use.

Does an artwork program exsist for creating 7800 graphics data? (for PCs not the ST)

So how would one get sprites for a 7800 emulator (or create I should say), when they are used to using tools Atari used? (NeoChrome)

To convert *.NEO files into PC compatible files use Tom Kirk's ATARIPIC.

You need to write a convertor program using C/C++, python, perl etc. I'd recommend that you draw the sprites in black, white and two shades of grey first. Then temporarily colour the sprites using a palette taken from one of the emulators just to view them. Save the grey shade sprites and run your convertor on them to convert the image into a suitable format for MARIA to display in your game. In your code you'll need to set up MARIA's palette registers to colour the sprite.

Failing that, try out Gorf's editor (as mentioned in my previous post).

At first, I was trying to develop games for the 7800 through actual Atari hardware/software. But not being able to find all the parts to build my own development card really put an x on it.

This time around, I am going to attempt to do so using easily available tools for modern day PCs and then test on an emulator. It's about the best I can do at this point.

The only reason I was doing it the "hard" way was to eventually try and tap into MARIA's real power I've read/heard so much about. I wasn't sure if emulators would be capable of this accuracy but I have to admit that I'm really impressed with ProSystem emulator. It's really nice. And I like the interface and ease of use.

Does an artwork program exsist for creating 7800 graphics data? (for PCs not the ST)

Yes but you must have the MSVC debugger dll....MFC42.dll or MFC42D.dll forget which.

Could not get a release version not to crash but the debug version works.

This is the thread with the release version....supposedly it works fine on Vista.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=0#entry1622981

This is the thread with the one the 'should' work as a debug version. Make sure you

have MFC42.DLL and MFC42D.dll.

It's still a work in progress but very useful and has a sample font/sprite map.

It only works for 2bpp modes right at the moment.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134761

• 3 weeks later...

Well...for one, I can't program in C...I never could understand that language. So ATARIPIC won't do me any good.

But, I can create my artwork on my ST and use part of MadMac to display the code. Then possibly enter the code for use in emulation. But I have no clue if the code generated is right or not since I have no clue what to look for.