IGNORED

Oklahoma Electronic Game Expo - Coming April 11

dstone

Hi, All,

I just wanted to take a moment to let you all know that the Oklahoma Electronic Game Expo is returning for 2009 on April 11th at Oklahoma City Community College. Vendor/Exhibitor registration packets have started making their way out. If you have not yet received a packet and would like to have a booth, be a guest speaker, or donate something, you can fill out the paperwork online or contact me via PM so I can get a packet sent to you promptly.

We have a wonderful lineup of guest speakers from a variety of backgrounds:

Designer's Panel

Len Bogner - UCO

Neal Hettinger- Century Martialarts

Jeff Price - OCU

Sarah Sears - S Designs Inc

Lindsey La Valle - PDC Productions

Toney Antonelli - OETA

Game Pipelines

P.L. Studios

"Commodork"

Rob O'Hara - Author and Collector

Making Flash Games

Akram Taghavi-Burris - Oklahoma Adobe Users Group, OCCC Professor

This year will also feature a game tournament sponsored by HxC Lan Center. Tournament games include Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4, and Guitar Hero (game list subject to change, any changes will be promptly notated here).

I will update this post with a list of vendors/exhibitors as they start coming in.

For more information, please visit our website at http://oege.catblog.occc.edu/wordpress

Thank you all for your support and hope to see you there!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the game tournaments:

The following titles will be available: Street Fighter IV, Soul Calibur IV, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii.

Although general entry to the expo is free, there will be a $1.00 charge per tournament if one desires to enter. Half of the proceeds will go to the Child's Play Charity.

Once again, special thanks to HxC Lan Center for sponsoring the game tournaments.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Tournament Rules

Soul Calibur IV Tournament Rules

Just a reminder, registration for exhibitors and vendors ends March 27. If you have been expecting a registration packet and have not received one yet, please get with me immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Exhibitor/Vendor registration has been extended to April 3rd.

Space is limited, don't wait until the last minute to sign up!

We now offer the ability to register over the web:

Click here for Booth registration.

Click here for Speaker registration.

OEGE is proud to be sponsored by the following organizations:

AlterNative Media

Best Buy

Computer Arts and Technology Society

Game Equals Life

Hardcore Lan Center

J-Darling

OKGamers.com

Okie AUG

Oklahoma City Community College

Oklahoma Creativity

We would like to announce that the following groups have booth space reserved at this time:

Best Buy

Creative Oklahoma

Game Equals Life

J-Darling

Metro Tech

New World Comics

Okie AUG

Oklahoma City Community College

Rob O'Hara

plus more on the way!

Also, a minor note of correction, Rob O'Hara will be giving a presentation over Collecting Classic Arcade Games instead of "Commodork."

I would like to send out a special thank you to all those that are making this possible!

I've signed up for a booth as well, so I'm definitely planning on being there, with both volumes of the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVDs, the CGE DVD box set, and probably some used games as well (2600, 5200, 7800, INTV, Colecovision and Atari 8-bit are likely suspects!) at not-too-crazy prices. ;) There'll be a constantly-running demo video showing excerpts from each of the DVDs, and other cool stuff as well, and I'm planning on bringing a classic system or three (possibly very, very classic!).

We are proud to announce that Chick-Fil-A is now a sponsor of OEGE.

We would also like to add the following groups to those with booth space reserved:

AlterNative Media

Brett Weiss

Cactus Jack's Family Fun Center

Chick-Fil-A

Phosphor Dot Fossils

Once again, many thanks to all who have signed up and will see you a week from Saturday!

Edited by dstone

We are proud to announce that Chick-Fil-A is now a sponsor of OEGE.

We would also like to add the following groups to those with booth space reserved:

AlterNative Media

Brett Weiss

Cactus Jack's Family Fun Center

Chick-Fil-A

Phosphor Dot Fossils

Once again, many thanks to all who have signed up and will see you a week from Saturday!

I'm looking forward to it!

Edited by 8bitgamer

My car's packed up and I'm ready to head to OKC in the morning. Here's a quick rundown of what I'm bringing:

Sale items: plenty of delicious nutritious PDF & CGE DVD sets, and heaps of games from my collection - 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 8-bit, C64, Channel F, NES, Genesis, PS1 and more!

Display items: I'll have an original Magnavox Odyssey and an original Nintendo Famicom both hooked up, running, and with their original packaging on display! You don't see these, let alone get to play them, every day, so drop by and have a look.

For those coming to the Expo, we highly recommend parking in Lot D and using Entrance 6 to the building. Exhibitors should use the same lot and entrance, as this provides the shortest distance from unloading a vehicle to your space.

occc_outside-300x247.jpg

If you choose to park elsewhere, we highly recommend finding your way to the main entrance; signs will be posted instructing you to the Student Union rooms.

occc_inside-300x247.jpg

(click images for larger, detailed versions)

Recommended parking areas and event locations are highlighted in red.

See you tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...
Any feedback or pictures from the show?

Much bigger show in terms of crowd size, though mystifyingly poor in terms of sales - I did very well with selling the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVD last year, despite a fairly thin crowd, so I was loaded for bear in terms of having DVDs stocked in depth - I had the DVD that was available last year, the new PDF DVD, and some CGE DVD box sets as well, and a pretty good chunk of my game collection up for grabs; only the games went, and even then, it was mainly NES-and-later stuff. DVD-wise I only sold about two copies of any given title.

The Magnavox Odyssey and the Famicom that I had set up at my table were incredibly popular, but they didn't translate into sales; one of my TVs, which would've shown a loop of selections from the DVDs to the folks playing the NES, died on the show floor, so I'm sure that didn't help. I set up a video camera pointed at where people would stand to play the Odyssey and got some incredibly funny stuff of people trying to figure out how it works and how to play it; I need to put together a montage of that at some point.

Maybe the crowd was just a bit young (this was not a retro show, after all, nor was it advertised as such - when I took stuff like boxed 5200 Star Trek and Zaxxon at very reasonable prices and ended up coming home with them, it's not a retro show!), maybe it's the economy, maybe I should've taken two showers that morning instead of one. I dunno. I had fun in any case, but didn't make the kind of money I was expecting. Hopefully there's still an OVGE show in the offing in Tulsa later this year: the goodies I had with me would've vanished by lunchtime in Tulsa. That's not the fault of OEGE's organizers or attendees - it was just a different crowd from what I usually cater to at a show, and perhaps naively the biggest concession I made to that was "Hey, I'll have a Famicom hooked up instead of an Odyssey2!"

Edited by Phosphor Dot Fossils

Some pics:

oege1.jpg

The Magnavox Odyssey display in the process of being set up. I have to give mad props to SteveW, who came up to visit the show as an attendee and ended up helping me out in my booth most of the day since my usual sidekick was absent this time around. Steve was great about going around to the front of the booth and setting the Odyssey back into an endless ping-pong loop until the next person came along and twiddled the knobs. :D

oege2.jpg

DVDs on display, along with price sheets for my games and other goodies.

oege3.jpg

There was someone occupying the Famicom 95% of the show. I only have 3 Famicom carts: SMB3, a mah-jongg game, and Raid On Bungeling Bay. While the Odyssey performed flawlessly all day long, along with its ancient TV set, the more recent Famicom and its broadcast monitor borg cube both got glitchier as the day went on.

oege4.jpg

No one could resist the Odyssey!

oege5.jpg

All your DVDs are belong to me: this TV showed a loop with selections from all of the DVDs I was selling.

oege6.jpg

Folks looking through used games and playing the Famicom. For some reason, this crowd just didn't want to buy any Doctor Who action figures off of me. :D

oege7.jpg

A look across the floor; my neighbors at New World Comics.

oege8.jpg

A crowd gathers to listen to TV Death Squad.

oegedvds1.jpg

To give you an idea of how many DVDs I had stocked up for this show: this was just one box that I had full of 'em.

Obviously I've got DVDs in stock still, so hit up my site if you need some video game DVD goodness.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I read over at DP that you're trying to get things together for a 2009 OVGE, Crossbow. Make sure to give me enough advance warning if things get going, so I can get the money together to try and get an exhibitor table again. This time I'll have to put gigantic neon signs everywhere on my table that says NOTHING IS FOR SALE. Lol.