IGNORED

Spent $99 on a 5200 system and wico should I return this or not?

homerwannabee

Ok, just went to a local thrift shop and I spent $99 on the following stuff. They give you a 7 day return policy. I was wondering if I should return it or not.

Here are the major highlights of what it comes with

Atari 5200 4 porter with power supplay

A boxed Miner 2049er

2 Wico Command controllers (One seems broken and the other maybe working)

2 Wico Keyboards to transfer the controllers into the system

An Atari 5200 trackball controller

Suncom Analog Edge controller

Here is the rest

Boxed Counter measure

Boxed Star Raiders

Boxed Qbert

Boxed Vanguard

Boxed Galaxian

Boxed Dig Dug

Boxed Super Breakout

loose Pac-Man

Now here is the bummer. There is no power RF switch box, so I have no way of testing it. So as you can see I do have a legitimate reason to bring it back. Don't have the RF switch box power supply converter. So what do you think bring it back or keep it?

Ok, big time edit: Apparently the Wico controllers are not as broken as I thought. I thought because they were loose that they were broken, but then I looked on the bottom and put them in lock position and they now have the normal give of a joystick.

Edited by homerwannabee

Ok, just went to a local thrift shop and I spent $99 on the following stuff. They give you a 7 day return policy. I was wondering if I should return it or not.

A boxed Miner 2049er

Here is the rest

Boxed Counter measure

Boxed Star Raiders

Boxed Qbert

Boxed Vanguard

Boxed Galaxian

Boxed Dig Dug

Boxed Super Breakout

loose Pac-Man

Now here is the bummer. There is no power RF switch box, so I have no way of testing it. So as you can see I do have a legitimate reason to bring it back. Don't have the RF switch box power supply converter. So what do you think bring it back or keep it?

i think it would be a safe bet that if only the carts,trakball and system worked you still got a steal. especially if the wicos and keypads work, ,i think i would take the chance and keep it

Edited by jc78_2005

Uh, no. A hundred dollars is a bit steep for a thrift store find, but you can easily get your money back by selling the keyboard attachments on eBay. Keep it! It's a fine system and you've got a lot of valuable peripherals with it.

By the way, can you take a picture of the Analog Edge joystick? I'd love to see it.

Actually, out of curiosity, any way we could see a picture of all of it?

I've been thinking about this, and it seems to me that condition would be the deciding factor for me on this one. If all, or most of it is in nice shape, good looking, etc, then I'd keep it. If it's a big box full of dirty, crusty, scratched up junk, then I'd return it.

It really does seem like a good value, assuming it works. Get the switchbox and if it works, I think you got a pretty good deal. Enjoy!

(incidentally, I'm in a similar situation, I have a 4-port, but no box to try it with).

If the Wico keypads work 100% then this lot is easily worth well over $100. I have had some issues with the Wico controllers. A lot of them have been broken and some of the keypads have had issues as well.

If everything works I think that you probably could double your money if you wanted to. You also have a nice start to a 5200 collection should you decide to keep it.

I spent 50 bucks on a 2-port that only came with 2 games,2 controllers and it did'nt have an rf box. I ended up spending 15 more bucks on a brand new RF switchbox that's kinda falling apart now(one of the cables inside it is a bit faulty and I always have to move the box a certain way to get a good picture). Good thing my system works tho and I've been playing it regularly for 3 months.I think I need to buy a new box too tho.

I say that's a good deal you have. I wished my local thrift store sold Atari stuff...I always see NES games but never any Atari ones :ponder: :D

edit - Can the RF Box for 2600 work with a 5200??

Edited by lushgirl_80

Alright I decided not to return this. I am really surprised that the saving grace for this purchase was the Joysticks. Also, I have a feeling the joysticks work the more I think about it. The actual stickers are still on the joysticks. The keyboard ones have a Quality 1 control sticker on the bottom, and the joysticks have at-5200 still on them and very visible. I am guessing they would of fallen off by now if they were heavily used, or at the very least be unreadable.

Edited by homerwannabee

The one Homer has is a 4-port model, which had a special switchbox... the power goes directly into it, rather than into the unit itself. The 4-port requires the special switchbox.

But, the 2-port model that you have uses a regular RF switchbox, yes.

I'd get one of the switchbox eliminator coax-adapters though, if I were you. They're only a couple bucks, give a better picture, and you don't have to mess with anything then.

Edited by Mirage1972

A boxed Miner 2049er

Here is the rest

Boxed Counter measure

Boxed Star Raiders

Boxed Qbert

Boxed Vanguard

Boxed Galaxian

Boxed Dig Dug

Boxed Super Breakout

loose Pac-Man

Ok, big time edit: Apparently the Wico controllers are not as broken as I thought. I thought because they were loose that they were broken, but then I looked on the bottom and put them in lock position and they now have the normal give of a joystick.

Great Score. :thumbsup: Of course keep it. HHW

DEFINITELY WORTH IT!!! Just for the wico sets alone.

If you sold one of those wico stick & key combo right now on ebay, you'd make your money back, most probably.

Great deal, but high for a thrift. I find that the thrifts are getting more expensive. And no doubt, they are using ebay for pricing.

OK, by popular demand here is the Wico keyboards and controllers, and also the boxed games to boot :)

Man I didn't realize the wico sticks and keypad were worth so much.

But I have to agree, aside from worth, the whole lot is nice... the system, the boxed games, the sticks, the trackpad... all of that is nice. It would be GREAT if you could actually play all that, I know $99 is hard to swallow when you can't use it immediately. But be patient, hunt for the power box or find some solution, and you will be happy you did.

The 5200 is a system that grows on you. I've played in the high score club here on Atariage (the main reason for me these days to hang on to most of my Atari stuff and keep building them up) and every game is generally a game I want to play. (Whereas the 8-bit Computer selection is so varied with hundreds of more games that I find I like to play that one every other time.)

Point here is there is about 124 games on the 5200 (that I have rom images for, I should know, I have the 128 in 1 cart from Atarimax... highly suggested!!) and of them, most of them are great classic arcade titles. A lot of bang for the buck.

Sure... you could get an Atari 800 xl and have hundreds of more games to choose from and better controllers, but then the 5200 high score club is so fun here. :D

I did mention the 5200 grows on you right? ;)

The one Homer has is a 4-port model, which had a special switchbox... the power goes directly into it, rather than into the unit itself. The 4-port requires the special switchbox.

I'd get one of the switchbox eliminator coax-adapters though, if I were you. They're only a couple bucks, give a better picture, and you don't have to mess with anything then.

I guess they don't have a switchbox eliminator for the 4-port version. I do have an extra 4-port RF switchbox if anyone wants to make an offer... (got an extra with my unit).

Anyone tried using the 11.5v DC adapter from 2-port version on 4-port version over long period of time?

I guess they don't have a switchbox eliminator for the 4-port version. I do have an extra 4-port RF switchbox if anyone wants to make an offer... (got an extra with my unit).

Anyone tried using the 11.5v DC adapter from 2-port version on 4-port version over long period of time?

Yes, there is not a switchbox eliminator for the 4-port version. I was recommending that lushgirl_80 get one for her 2-port model.

I use my 2600 switchbox with my 4 port 5200 all the time. It works just fine! :D

*finds something else to tinker with*

Great score, homer. I woulda said keep it also. No one mentioned it but that boxed Miner has to be worth at least $10 or $20. I think even without the Wicos what you got would have been high, but probably worth while. With the wicos, well, that's history.

I'd keep the wicos, though. A rebuild kit for the standard 5200 stick is almost $50 by itself.

Edited by shadow460

Best has rebuilt 5200 joysticks for $38, or $33 with core trade in. Is there something wrong with those? I've been looking at my options to finish up my 5200 set up... not sure if it's worth it unless I can get a complete used one cheap(er). Seems like the most expensive system to maintain.

That's the main reason this is such a good find... those Wico sticks/keyboards are awesome. Please let us know if they work once you can try them out.