IGNORED

The Official Coleco ADAM Topic

Just to check a few things with your disk drive:

You have one end of the cable plugged into the ADAMNet connector on the ADAM and the other end is plugged into the IN connector on the drive.

The drive number selector switch on the rear of the drive is set to 1.

The power adapter is connected to the drive.

You first turn on the drive. At which time both LEDs should come on and you should hear the drive motor spin for a few seconds.

Then you turn on the ADAM, which will boot up to the SmartWriter typing program.

As you insert a disk, when the disk is about 3/4 of the way inserted, the rear optical sensor should break (the disk blocks the signal) and you should hear the drive motor spin while you continue to fully insert the disk and close the latch.

Then you pull the reset ADAM reset switch on the console and the disk motor will start to spin, and the access LED will light.

Then the software should appear on the screen as its being loaded.

So in your case Tempest, where does this sequence not respond properly?

When I turn the drive on I never hear the motor spin (unless it's the quietest 5.25" I've ever heard). I've always been starting the drive with a disk in it, should I insert it AFTER I turn the drive on and AFTER I turn the ADAM on? Basically I've been inserting a disk in the drive, turning it on, then turning the ADAM on.

That's some awesome ADAM swag you've got there. I didn't know there was an official tax program for the ADAM, that one is news to me. I've got Dragons Lair and Zaxxon on disk, but only because someone was selling them NOS a year or so ago. I've heard that the ADAM version of Dam Busters prints out weather reports on the printer, is that true? I also hear the ADAM version of Grogs Revenge has a neat animated title screen that the Colecovision version doesn't.

I'm only about 30 min from the Canadian border, why don't I even find things like this? :)

Tempest

If you don't hear the drive motor spinning when you turn the drive on, there's definately a problem. And yes, technically first the drive, then the console should be powered up. Then the disk inserted, and then the reset switch pulled. It goes along with the same thought process of not having a DDP in a drive on startup/power-down. The magnetic field generated by the printer on start-up due to the in-rush current which can potentially erase/corrupt the data on the DDPs, applies to disks as well. As far as the problem I'd guess one or more of a couple things:

The external power supply is weak, although probably not if the drive power light is lit.

The internal power supply is weak, again probably not if the drive power light is lit.

The motor is bad, thus not spinning.

The motor belt is broken, or off it's pulleys.

One of the 6-7 internal connectors is disconnected, loose, or dirty.

If you're not afraid to weild a phillips screwdriver, you can easily check the connectors, belt, and motor. Flip the drive over, and remove the screws to take off the top cover, and verify/disconnect/re-connect all of the internal connectors. One of the 4 drives that I currently have, had problems when I got it. It wasn't like yours, where I couldn't hear the motor spin, but it wouldn't load anything. A couple of the connectors must have vibrated loose, or gotten dirty over the years or during shipping, so I just disconnected and reconnected each one a couple of times, and presto the drive works fine. If you don't want to take it apart yourself, let me know and I'll take a look at it for you. Then also verify the belt is installed and intact, then apply power again to see if you can see the motor/belt spinning or not.

I've heard that the ADAM version of Dam Busters prints out weather reports on the printer, is that true? I also hear the ADAM version of Grogs Revenge has a neat animated title screen that the Colecovision version doesn't.

Tempest

If my ADAM worked I could check this out for ya, as I have the floppy disk version of Dambusters

I've heard that the ADAM version of Dam Busters prints out weather reports on the printer, is that true? I also hear the ADAM version of Grogs Revenge has a neat animated title screen that the Colecovision version doesn't.

Tempest

If my ADAM worked I could check this out for ya, as I have the floppy disk version of Dambusters

I got Super Dam Busters in a large lot on ebay a while ago. I think I tried it once to see if it worked. I didn't know that it printed weather/intelligence reports but it does! I don't have a scanner either but below is one of the reports.

post-13580-1236619778_thumb.jpg post-13580-1236619807_thumb.jpg

Intelligence Report from Central Bomber Command

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearance Code: Hof-steader

Operator: TNT

Date: 16 May

Time: 15:16 hrs

There are numerous flak installations in this area.

Heavy shelling is likely. Bright moonlight makes

excellent ground and air visibility.

Koln

Dortmund

Paris

*************** END TRANSMISSION ***********

Other rare ADAM items I know of: The EVE voice module (someone wrote an unlicensed Star Trek game that supports it, "Space, the final frontier..." is spoken), there was a MIDI plug-in expansion card sold and software to go with it, those arcade machine shaped cardboard box versions of the Super Games Zaxxon, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, the Super Front Line demo, SmartBASIC Bonanza, Best of Broderbund with AE and Choplifter.

I think we've discovered that Super Dambusters doesn't like the 64K memory expansion. We tried it on Doubledown's expanded ADAM and it hung on the title screen, but when I tired it on mine it worked just fine (game still sucks, but it works). Can anyone else out there test this?

Also, I've been trying to compile a list of software made by Coleco for the ADAM. I'm only looking for official Coleco titles, not 3rd party or PD stuff. This is what we've come up wtih:

2010: The Text Adventure Game (#7849 - Data Pack; #9659 - Disk)

ADAM Home Software Library (#7826 - DDP; #???? - Disk)

ADAMCalc (#7831)

ADAMLink DDP

Address Book Filer (#7815) (DDP); Disk Version also released?

BC II Grogs Revenge (DDP) - Coleco of Canada

The Best of Broderbund (Choplifter & A.E.) (#7850)

The Official Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom

CP/M 2.2 and Assembler (#7832) (DDP & Disk Version)

Disk Manager: Disk Operating System (D.O.S.)

Dam Busters (DDP) - Coleco of Canada

Donkey Kong (#2628)

Donkey Kong Junior (#2629)

Dragon's Lair (#2683)

Electronic Flashcard Maker (#7662)

Expertype (#7602)

Family Feud (#7710)

Flash Facts: Flashbacks (#2901)

Flash Facts: Trivia (#2902)

Flash Facts: Vocabulator (#2900)

Recipe Filer (#7814)

Richard Scarry's Best Electronic Word Book Ever (#7658)

SimpleCalc

SmartBasic 1.0

SmartBasic 1.2 (DDP? & Disk)

SmartFiler (#7813) (DDP & Disk)

SmartLetters & Forms (#7805)

Smartlogo (#7600)

Tax Planner (DDP) - Coleco of Canada

Wacky Word Games (#7657)

The Official Zaxxon (#2623)

I'm not sure if these were officially released, or just left to Public Domain. Can any provide some info?

===============

ADAM Link II

The Best of BC (DDP?)

The Best of Electronic Arts (Hard Hat Mack & Pinball Construction Set)

Cabbage Patch Kids

Electronic Flashcard Maker: Algebra DDP

Electronic Flashcard Maker: American History I DDP

Electronic Flashcard Maker: American History II DDP

Jeopardy (#7716)

SmartBasic 2.0

Subroc SuperGame

Super Frontline Demo - I assume this was never released in a completed form

Temple of Asphai - Was this to be a Coleco release?

Troll's Tale - Was this to be a Coleco release?

I'm also trying to find out which titles were released on both disk and DDP.

Tempest

Best of EA was never officially released, as far as I can tell.

Some other titles floating around are:

SmartBasic 2.0

Adam Link II

Adam Link III

Not sure if these were done at Coleco or by hackers later on?

Also some things about your list:

1) You might want to note that Dam Busters and Tax Planner were developed & released by Coleco Canada. They weren't released here in the U.S.

2) I don't think SmartLogo is the correct name. I believe it was just called "Logo"

3) Never heard of SimpleCalc before???

4) I'd say it's pretty doubtful that Address Book Filer came on disk. I don't think the box that the AutoDialer comes in is big enough to fit a disk.

Edited by else

Noted. I've never seen a box for it either, but it was reviewed in some ADAM newsletters and they made it sound like it was a commerical game they bought. Still there us no evidence so I'll move it down into the other section.

SmartBasic 2.0

Adam Link II

Adam Link III

Adam Link III was definitly a hack, but I'm not sure about Adam Link II. Didn't SmartBasic 2.0 come out on disk?

1) You might want to note that Dam Busters and Tax Planner were developed & released by Coleco Canada. They weren't released here in the U.S.

Ok, good to know.

2) I don't think SmartLogo is the correct name. I believe it was just called "Logo"

Nope it's SmartLogo. The word Smart is vertical to the left of the word Logo if you look at a box (check ebay there are two up right now)

Neither had I. Doubledown has the DDP in his collection (just the case and tape, no box). It's an official Coleco release.

4) I'd say it's pretty doubtful that Address Book Filer came on disk. I don't think the box that the AutoDialer comes in is big enough to fit a disk.

Maybe it was available directly from Coleco? I swear I've seen a disk version of it.

Tempest

Sounds good. I applaud your efforts. A comprehensive list is something that the Adam has been sorely missing, imho....

Oh, just thought of one more title you are missing: "Trolls Tale". I have it on DDP. The title screen mentions something about Coleco releasing it to the public domain. It's a fully playable graphic adventure game. It's a pretty short game though....

Edited by else

Sounds good. I applaud your efforts. A comprehensive list is something that the Adam has been sorely missing, imho....

Oh, just thought of one more title you are missing: "Trolls Tale". I have it on DDP. The title screen mentions something about Coleco releasing it to the public domain. It's a fully playable graphic adventure game. It's a pretty short game though....

Yeah I have a copy of that on disk. I though it was Sierra On-Line for some reason. I'll have to check on that, but it's definitly PD.

Tempest

Neither had I. Doubledown has the DDP in his collection (just the case and tape, no box). It's an official Coleco release.

Aren't you talking about ADAMCalc?

Nope, this is different. I'd never seen it either. Maybe Mike will post a pic of it for us.

Tempest

For those who haven't seen one, here's a pic of the arcade cabinet style packaging for the DDPs. The biggest flaws with the packaging:

1) The top flap is "glued."

2) The manual has to be folded in half to fit in the package.

Other than that, they are very cool.

post-4993-1237408837_thumb.jpg

That might be true. I'd have to double check, but all I believe I have is a photocopy of the real manual. It was most certainly finished and official, but it might never had made it out for official sale.

That might be true. I'd have to double check, but all I believe I have is a photocopy of the real manual. It was most certainly finished and official, but it might never had made it out for official sale.

I don't ever recall seeing it for sale around these parts, and the only copy of it I have is from the NIAD public domain library. Perhaps it was Canada only?

Here's some pictures of the SimpleCALC package (from Atari2600.com):

Tempest

Wow, I don't recall ever seeing that and I thought I pretty much saw or had everything. Nice!

I'll have to check my back issues of the NIAD newsletter. I dont ever recall seeing that in thier store.

Wow, that is REALLY cool!!! Must be practically a one-of-a-kind. Maybe they later rebranded it as AdamCALC or something?

I dont think so. The book for AdamCALC was as big as the one for SmartLOGO and CPM

The one for SimpleCALC looks like a pamphlet.

ALmost seems to be (without having a screenshot) to be like QUicken

Probably a dumbed down of AdamCalc. After all, there is precedent with Coleco doing this:

Recipe Filer is a dumbed down version of Smart Filer

Smart Letters and Forms is a dumbed down version of Smart Writer

It seems Coleco was really trying to milk what few titles they had for the Adam by recycling them as "different" products.

I wish a Coleco warehouse would be discovered one of these days. There's a few things now for the Adam that there seem to be only one or two in existence, yet seem to be finished products (this being one, the monitor cable set being the other).

Edited by else