IGNORED

4-port won't turn off

claancy

Today I decided to dig out my 5200 after a couple years of not playing it. After cleaning up a controller, it seemed to work fine until I tried to turn it off. Pressing the switch had no effect at all. I unplugged the power cord, plugged it back in, and was able to turn the system on but not off. The switch box had a little corrosion on it so I cleaned it up but that didn't help. I observed the following:

• The switch box clicks immediately when I plug in the power supply.
  • The switch box clicks a second or two after I unplug the power supply.
  • The switch box does not click at all when powering on the system (or when attempting to power it off)

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is the problem in my switch box? I found one thread here that wasn't much help.

Thanks.

Today I decided to dig out my 5200 after a couple years of not playing it. After cleaning up a controller, it seemed to work fine until I tried to turn it off. Pressing the switch had no effect at all. I unplugged the power cord, plugged it back in, and was able to turn the system on but not off. The switch box had a little corrosion on it so I cleaned it up but that didn't help. I observed the following:

• The switch box does not click at all when powering on the system (or when attempting to power it off)

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is the problem in my switch box? I found one thread here that wasn't much help.

Thanks.

It sounds like the switchbox. You might want to leave it out in a warm place for 2 days and then try it or get another one if that doesn't work

Thanks.

It sounds like the switchbox. You might want to leave it out in a warm place for 2 days and then try it or get another one if that doesn't work

do you mean that the red light wont turn off and it keeps playing the game till you unplug it?

the one i have it turns on just fine and turns off and then goes to snow on my screen till i tap the switchbox

but if it stays on that doesnt sound like a switch box prob its probably an internal relay that is sticky

be very careful with that system cause if you jerk a cart or insert a cart with the red light on it will break

do you mean that the red light wont turn off and it keeps playing the game till you unplug it?

Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

so when you plug it back in the red light is off again then you have to press power?

Yes. When I plug it in the red light is off and I have nothing but static on the screen (I don't have antenna/cable connected thru the switch box). I need to press the power button to turn the system back on.

I had a similiar problem on my 2 port system. One day, I looked down at the system, at it was on, and no matter how many times you hit the power switch, it wouldn't turn off.

It turned out to be the 4013 Dual-D Flip Flop IC, located right by the Power switch. It was "locked" into ON.

I'm not sure if this kind of problem would apply to the 4 port system though.... I think it would.

I had a similiar problem on my 2 port system. One day, I looked down at the system, at it was on, and no matter how many times you hit the power switch, it wouldn't turn off.

It turned out to be the 4013 Dual-D Flip Flop IC, located right by the Power switch. It was "locked" into ON.

I'm not sure if this kind of problem would apply to the 4 port system though.... I think it would.

Very well could be. The 4013 flip-flops (theres two of 'em) are the heart of the latch/unlatch circuitry on the 5200 for the power switch function. Btw they're not socketed. :(

Yeah, the non-socketed part sucked... I'm a big fan of just being able to yank the chip out and replace. But, the good news is that it's a relatively cheap part to replace.---underneath a dollar.

Coincidentally, I had another system with the same problem, only it wouldn't turn on. I played a game, reached over to turn it off, and it never powered back on. Replaced the 4013, fixed the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Very well could be. The 4013 flip-flops (theres two of 'em) are the heart of the latch/unlatch circuitry on the 5200 for the power switch function. Btw they're not socketed. :(

Thanks for the help, everyone. The replacement 4013s I ordered from eBay came in today. My system has one 4013 (in a socket!) near the power switch/light (there may be another elsewhere, but I didn't look). Popped it out, popped in a new one, and now it turns on and off properly!

On a related note, does anyone need a replacement 4013 (I have 3 extras)?

Thanks for the help, everyone. The replacement 4013s I ordered from eBay came in today. My system has one 4013 (in a socket!) near the power switch/light (there may be another elsewhere, but I didn't look). Popped it out, popped in a new one, and now it turns on and off properly!

On a related note, does anyone need a replacement 4013 (I have 3 extras)?

PM me...I could use one...