IGNORED

Marlboro Promotion System...

EricDeLee

I never really looked for these, never really cared too much for something like this, but I may just start grabbing something like this if I can ever find it again. I think I need to figure out how to search ebay better though. Did anyone here see this auction back in DEC?

Look at the pics...

EBAY AUCTION

Went for around $400 US

post-3390-1236218834_thumb.jpg

post-3390-1236218842_thumb.jpg

Check out the cart... it has a serial Number on it. is that a legit released item?

post-3390-1236218849_thumb.jpg

Although I have never seen it before I guess it must be a legit promotional item....the writing is German, so I guess it might have been prices from a Marlboro Adventure Team TV-show or maybe used for live audiences (if there were live audiences at all).

What surprises me is that it is from 1993; pretty late for a Lynx-promotion.

Must have been a good short-term deal for Atari, probably to get rid of loads of remaining Lynx inventory; after all for a product aimed mainly at kids and teenagers usually a company does not wish to be associated with the negative image of a big tobacco-producer.

I remember the Adventure team. It was one of the catalogs linked to the Marlboro points.

You had to collect the UPC symbols off the packs of Marlboro cigarettes years and years ago. (I'm guessing 16 years ago based on the year 1993)

I recall getting a ton of crap from Marlboro... lighters, back-packs, swiss army knives, shirts, jackets, (I worked with my dad at that time and we frequented bars often and I had a great Marlboro points resource in that.) My understanding is that a lot of that Marlboro stuff is worth good $$ these days because it was all high quality items. For instance, The swiss army knives were the real deal, not some knock off. I'd imagine an official Atari item linked to the Marlboro promotion would be worth top dollar. I don't ever recall this item being offered though. I guess 16 years is a long time.

Marlboro only stopped doing this promotion a few years ago. (It was a lot different in the later days) I got my last package from them probably 2 years ago. Sleeping Bags, Blankets etc...I'm happy to say I had quit smoking by then and was using UPS symbols I had gotten prior, or from other people. :cool:

Edited by moycon

If I went to the effort of a theme Lynx I'd color the buttons too. This may have been paint and not dye. With the dye they have these days, it won't scratch, flake, pick off, or anything. Right after the NesProPads, SuperNova, Genesis Kiosk, Homebrew CV title, perhaps in 2012 I'll find the time for a Lynx color change :D if I didn't waste time on the forum all day ;)

AX

If I went to the effort of a theme Lynx I'd color the buttons too. This may have been paint and not dye. With the dye they have these days, it won't scratch, flake, pick off, or anything. Right after the NesProPads, SuperNova, Genesis Kiosk, Homebrew CV title, perhaps in 2012 I'll find the time for a Lynx color change :D if I didn't waste time on the forum all day ;)

AX

Quit wasting time! LOL I have a project for you!

Hell... I would only need the lettering I think. Maybe some wood grain look a like for a section.

Crazy Germans, always spelling words in their own language. Gosh darn it, why can't they use English so us fat Americans can read it :D

NOTE: Even if this was an actual release as a promo, it was just a slick paint job over a shell. Look at the lack of buttom labels, that should be proof enough. Simple to duplicate, and I dare say one could do a better job of it ;) As for the cartridge, that is an awesome/strange PCB... perhaps its the daddy where all the other clones came from?

AX

Edited by the.golden.ax

Looks fake to me. The lettering is off-center and crooked. If it's legit, it sure is a sloppy job....

I have the same impression. I need to dig a few pictures up that I have showing a legit one.

Also, hard to believe a letter "falling off" an original version. I mean these items where specially made for a Marlboro Adventure Tour with Jeeps etc. Hard to believe they simply painted a Lynx and attached self adhesive letters on them without a specific coating.

I´d say the one we are talking about is a fake!

I noticed something as well...

Take a look at Rygar's pictures.

On the portion of the Lynx, right above the screen where the lettering is... see how it SLANTS.

Now look at the picture in this thread. It doesn't seem to do that. My eyes could be playing tricks on me though. Hell... I am getting older you know.