IGNORED

Best home version of Donkey Kong?

Ransom

201 members have voted

1. 1. Which home system had the best version of Donkey Kong?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 7800
    • Colecovision
    • Intellivision
    • NES / Famicom
    • Apple ][
    • Atari 8-bit
    • Commodore 64
    • ZX Spectrum
    • Coleco Tabletop
    • Nintendo Game + Watch
    • Other (explain below)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I have seen the Coleco version in action, and sadly, it lacks the great sounds from the arcade. It looks fantastic though.

Yes, it could have been better on many levels, but for its defense, DK on ColecoVision was a launch game, and as such, I think whoever was involved with the programming did a pretty good job. As the pack-in game, it helped sell a lot of consoles.

Work on Donkey Kong Arcade (Opcode Games' remake for the CV) has barely begun, and probably will not be finished before late 2010, but we're definately looking to include everything that was missing from the pack-in DK game, if only to prove that the ColecoVision can do justice to the arcade game in a much more accurate way. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

One of the biggest problems with any console version of DK as I see it, is the improper amount of girders on the opening screen, and the horiziontal orientation used. Including the platform Pauline is standing on, there should be 7, and Donkey Kong should be on the left side. Now I realized that since most people have horizontally orientated TVs, and to use all of the screen without black bars on either side, they chose to use streched horizontal screens, which compromises height. Personally I'd rather have the proper screen orientation with the side bar(s).

• Like 1

The missing extra girder is unavoidable using lower-res older systems and it never bothered me. The CV version is nice, but several things about it are weak compared to the awesome Atari 8bit version. Such as, the A8 has all 4 screens (I CANNOT understand why the other systems didn't), and the CV version's hammer is really an invicibility power - you can't die even if your back is turned to a barrel/fireball.

Surely most people only ever played 2 or 3 versions? How many people here played the Spectrum version, or the Intellivision version, for example.

My favorite is the Game Boy version, the Game Boy was the best selling Nintendo console in France, everyone had one. The Game Boy version of Donkey Kong has everything, and goes even further. And plays even better on Super Game Boy.

My favorite is the Game Boy version, the Game Boy was the best selling Nintendo console in France, everyone had one. The Game Boy version of Donkey Kong has everything, and goes even further. And plays even better on Super Game Boy.

Yeah it's a great game (one of my all time favorites).. but it's not Donkey Kong. It's a puzzle game.

And just because it has a facsimile of the 4 initial stages at the beginning doesn't mean anything because the gameplay is so different. I mean, I can do 2 or 3 reverse jumps in them and get to the top.. you can't do that in the original :lol:

• Like 1

Surely most people only ever played 2 or 3 versions? How many people here played the Spectrum version, or the Intellivision version, for example.

Are you questioning the scientific validity of an Internet poll?

:D

Edited by Ransom

Yeah it's a great game (one of my all time favorites).. but it's not Donkey Kong. It's a puzzle game.

And just because it has a facsimile of the 4 initial stages at the beginning doesn't mean anything because the gameplay is so different. I mean, I can do 2 or 3 reverse jumps in them and get to the top.. you can't do that in the original :lol:

Indeed...part of the reason why Donkey Kong is so great is the difficulty...nothing beats being chased by multiple barrels and a fireball on the girders level!

I voted the Nes version.

I own the following versions of Donkey Kong:

• Atari 7800 version
  • Atari 2600 version
  • Nes version

I didn't play other home versions of Donkey Kong outside of the versions I own.

I feel the Nes version is the best out of the 3. It has good graphics, sound and playability.

I don't have other systems that have Donkey Kong mentioned in the poll except for the Intellivision version. I will not be getting that version though.

Edited by 8th lutz

All the home ports have flaws; the question is which matter most (to you)?

For me, the cement factory/pie level was such a fantastic reward - you have to play through 7 levels to get to it, on the hard, fast A8 version - that playing other versions without it is just not the same.

But, the A8 version is missing girders, the graphics aren't great, it's missing some of the intro/cutscene stuff. So I can see how others might prefer the NES version (or whatever).

it's missing some of the intro/cutscene stuff.

Actually it's not. Let the game sit for a minute or so and you'll see it. I have no idea why it isn't played when you start a new game though. Maybe someone could hack it to do that?

Tempest

For me, the cement factory/pie level was such a fantastic reward - you have to play through 7 levels to get to it

That really depends on what part of the world you're from. :) Where I come from we got the original Donkey Kong and of course the cement factor/pie level was simply the 2nd level.... and a super easy one at that :lol:

It's an interesting thing though that if you are used to playing the U.S. version of Donkey Kong.. you NEVER get to see the pie level in it's first & second level of difficulty. By the time you see it, it's already at the 3rd level with 3 fireballs popping out and the conveyer belts are fast. Same for the elevator stage. You only see it at the 2nd difficulty level with the elevators already moving fast.

p.s. I do prefer the U.S. Level progression these days.. it has more variety :)

Edited by NE146

I had to go with the C64 version (Atarisoft). Out of all of them it seems the most faithful to the arcade original. I haven't had a chance yet to try out the Ocean made one but as soon as I stop putting off hooking up one of my old PC's to my Commodore then I'm sure it'll be one of the first I transfer.

I have, for one. As with all of my favorite games, I try my best to have every version of them I can get my hands on. I'm doing alright but still have a couple to procure. ;)

post-10357-1236376219_thumb.jpg

Edited by darthkur
  • Like 1

For me, the cement factory/pie level was such a fantastic reward - you have to play through 7 levels to get to it

That really depends on what part of the world you're from. :) Where I come from we got the original Donkey Kong and of course the cement factor/pie level was simply the 2nd level.... and a super easy one at that :lol:

I know; I was referring to the A8 version.

it's missing some of the intro/cutscene stuff.

Actually it's not. Let the game sit for a minute or so and you'll see it. I have no idea why it isn't played when you start a new game though. Maybe someone could hack it to do that?

Yeah, but it is missing some little things, like DK climbing the ladder, grabbing Pauline between levels, plus the little tune and reunion with Pauline after beating the girder level.

I voted for the Apple II version [!!], because nobody else will! :P

It's far from perfect, the music stinks and it's occasionally buggy, but it's the version I grew up with.

It's alright (I grew up with it as well), but it's an odd port. The physics are completely off the wall (just look at the jumping motion) and the 'music' is ear splitting, but I've seen worse. I liked it well enough back in the day.

Tempest

The Atari 8-bit is the most enjoyable.

It's fast-action, challenging like the arcade version, and seems to be the most complete overall (hammer smash effects, intermissions, and the graphic layout is closest to the arcade).

I grew up the C64 version which I detested for it's lethargic play and the stretched out visuals - I actually played the Atari 2600 more often than that one.

The Coleco Adam version with all 4 screens is up there but it's too easy like the ColecoVision 3 screen version.

post-4618-1236619790_thumb.jpg

CoCO3:

The CoCo version shouldn't count for two reasons: 1. It came out many many years after the coco was discontinued (ie. a few years ago) and 2. It is emulated at least partially, which means unlike the other versions it literally is the arcade version.

The 8bit Atari version get's my vote. It is excellent and one of my fav 8bit games.

Unless there are limitations listed in the poll itself stipulating that, it should count.

Frankly, it's not really emulated. He just ported routines, gfx and sound to do the same things.

I've played several old computer versions and the CoCo3 version. That includes Atari, Apple, TI and C64.

CoCo3 version wins hands down, it's not even close.

Otherwise NES is closest except for the missing screen.

The Amstrad version looks good.

What is with the sound on some of these ports?

ZX Spectrum

Atari 2600

BBC Micro (Anyone know of something better than Killer Gorilla?)

Oric?

Edited by JamesD

I've never played (or seen) the Colecovision version, but after watching this video (from the link in the post above) I'm less than impressed:

Is that video accurate? No transitions, missing girders (even on the rivet screen; I've never seen a version with only 6 rivets before EDIT: I guess the INTV version shares that distinction), stages in an odd order (barrel->rivet->elevator? WTF?), and where are the bouncing springs in the elevator stage?

Edited by vdub_bobby

I've never played (or seen) the Colecovision version, but after watching this video (from the link in the post above) I'm less than impressed:

Is that video accurate? No transitions, missing girders (even on the rivet screen; I've never seen a version with only 6 rivets before EDIT: I guess the INTV version shares that distinction), stages in an odd order (barrel->rivet->elevator? WTF?), and where are the bouncing springs in the elevator stage?

There is a hacked version called Super Donkey Kong for the ADAM that fixes some stuff. Info

There is a hacked version called Super Donkey Kong for the ADAM that fixes some stuff. Info

Are there really no springs on the elevator stage?

Are there really no springs on the elevator stage?

Wow then what's the point of the sceen? All you'd have to do is avoid the two fireballs which is fairly easy.

Tempest