IGNORED

end of the playstation (one!)

AtariKen64

from what i have seen on the sony websites there are still psone games planned on release until the end of the year.

so when do you think it will truly end?

personally i think they could make cheap conversions and spit out 10$ games until the end of time and leave the advanced stuff up to the ps2

whenever it ends though ill be sure to get the last psone game as im sure it will garner some value someday.

Actually, I've found some of the PS1 "twilight" titles to be more interesting than the games that were released in the machine's heyday. When the PS1 was Sony's Big Product, you didn't see too many interesting little puzzle games like One Piece Mansion hitting the shelves, because it wasn't guaranteed to be a million seller. I've liked a lot of the budget titles so far - Creatures, Sheep, One Piece Mansion, Pipe Dreams 3D, and so on. The Japanese are really getting in on the budget game thing - the Nichibutsu Arcade Classics retro package has been carved up into thirds and rereleased, and there are lots of interesting licensed games coming out over there. Hell, if nothing else, one or two US publishers could probably keep a bit of a minor gravy train going just licensing those games from the Japanese publishers and localizing them for the US market. So in a lot of ways, I'm digging the current PS1 games more than I did in previous years. They're not all fighting games or sports sims or RPGs. I find that refreshing.

from what i have seen on the sony websites there are still psone games planned on release until the end of the year.

personally i think they could make cheap conversions and spit out 10$ games until the end of time and leave the advanced stuff up to the ps2

whenever it ends though ill be sure to get the last psone game  as im sure it will garner some value someday.

I think you are right on target, my favorite Playstation games are Dance Dance Revolution and they are still releasing them for the PS1. I guess they don't want to abandon/ lose the market to several millions with the PS1 and the dance pads :music:

Games like The Italian Job would never have had much of a chance in the "heyday," but this game is a best seller now! I believe we'll still see smaller companies releasing repacked Japanese products or new originals for under $10 from now 'till doomsday. Too many PSX's out there to NOT support them, plus the games work on the PS2, adding more to your customer base.

However, all the big companies are now focussing on PS2, GC, Xbox, etc., so all the budget PSX stuff will be those oddball, screwball, interesting and fun games rather than the latest Super Street Fighter/Final Fantasy/etc....crap.

I can only hope that it ends soon. I've never liked the Playstation from day one, and I won't be sad at all to see it go.

Unfortunately, all this PS2 compatability will keep it around like a dead squirrel under the porch.

--Zero

Thats a bit harsh. Do you hate the Playstation or just what you think it represents.

I feel that the Playstation gave gaming the kick it needed. Gaming was getting stale around 94/95 and it needed some new blood. if I take off the rose tinted spectacles I have to admit that I've had more fun out of the Playstation than any other console. yeah, you had all the usual driving/sports/platform crud but it was the odd, quirky occasional gems that made it great.

The gamecube and the DC are currently collecting dust as I play through Final Fantasy IX and (almost continual for the last 3 years) bouts of Ridge Racer Type 4.

It's done bloody well and good luck to it, it had great games, it had crap games, but most of all it had variety, variety of a type unseen since the great VCS.

It's done bloody well and good luck to it, it had great games, it had crap games, but most of all it had variety, variety of a type unseen since the great VCS.

Better actually. I'd argue that PSX had more original games than VCS, since a lot of VCS games (certainly in the under 4K category) were derivatives of other games. After all, how many vertical shooter games are there on VCS? That's probably 1/3rd of all titles ever made for it. I'm not knocking the system at all though, because I +LIKE+ shooters - I just think PSX had (and still has) an incredibly diverse lineup.

Yeah, and its ubiquity was another thing, there was/is one in pretty much every gamers home. It was perhaps the first modern-era console to not have a 'house-style', for instance, you'd buy a SNES for Mario and a Genesis for the Sports games but the PS1 was just a blank canvas.

Criticising the PS1 for it's games is like criticising the invention of the CD player for the quality of songwriting.

Yeah, and its ubiquity was another thing, there was/is one in pretty much every gamers home.  It was perhaps the first modern-era console to not have a 'house-style', for instance, you'd buy a SNES for Mario and a Genesis for the Sports games but the PS1 was just a blank canvas.

Indeed. :D I think PSX is probably the only system where I own one of every genre or style that I enjoy playing. Sports games, RPG's, arcade classics, platformers, 3-D FPS, hack'n'slash, strategy, puzzle, fighters, et cetera. It really flips my lid to think about it now, because with other consoles I always just concentrated on one style. I think 80% of my NES games are platformers, because I've never been fond of sports games on it. Double Dribble was okay when I was a kid but it's HELLA dated now.

Criticising the PS1 for it's games is like criticising the invention of the CD player for the quality of songwriting.

You tell 'em. :D And what you said about it being in every home is a good point too. The PSX was the first system I owned where enough of my friends had one that we could swap games, bring games over to each other's apartments or dorm rooms to play, and so on. In fact I got into PSX because my roommate in college had one, and I started buying games to play on his - when he moved out I just bought my own and kept right on playing. :D

While I dont like PSX, I know that the system changed the video game industry. But if it were not for Nintendo there would be no PSX. I dont like the Playstation because they were pieces of crap. Sony made them like crap and they know it. Even the new ones are. If you listen to a CD on a good sound system it skips like crazy. Sure, the system had a bunch of good games but I cant stand the long load times on the early one's. :x .

I have to agree that the PS1 was an important system and had a few (very few) great games. The fact is that even a crappy game is at least mildly fun so that's what I consider the PS1 as a whole - mildly fun. I never liked the load times or the controllers so I never had one in its heyday. I think the system did so incredibly well because Sony was able to convince people it was better then it was (ala Sega with the Genesis). On the other hand it definetely paved the way for the DC, GC, etc, so cheers to the PS1.

While I dont like PSX, I know that the system changed the video game industry. But if it were not for Nintendo there would be no PSX. I dont like the Playstation because they were pieces of crap. Sony made them like crap and they know it. Even the new ones are. If you listen to a CD on a good sound system it skips like crazy. Sure, the system had a bunch of good games but I cant stand the long load times on the early one's. :x .

Hmm..never had a problem with mine, though I know the early models had an issue with the read head being too close to the power supply which did that. They sorted that though. My Playstation has given 5 years continued service with not one hiccup.

I know there wouldn't be a Playstation if it weren't for Nintendo, just as there wouldn't be Nintendo (in gaming at least) if there hadn't been Atari. But just imagine if there hadn't been Playstation, Nintendo would still be the hideous ogre of a company they once were, Nintendo are a better, leaner more-focussed company since the Playstation gave them a wake up call. Just for the record, I have a gamecube but not a PS2 so i'm by no means Sony faithful, I just like the old PS1.

Hmm..never had a problem with mine, though I know the early models had an issue with the read head being too close to the power supply which did that. They sorted that though. My Playstation has given 5 years continued service with not one hiccup.  

I know there wouldn't be a Playstation if it weren't for Nintendo, just as there wouldn't be Nintendo (in gaming at least) if there hadn't been Atari. But just imagine if there hadn't been Playstation, Nintendo would still be the hideous ogre of a company they once were, Nintendo are a better, leaner more-focussed company since the Playstation gave them a wake up call. Just for the record, I have a gamecube but not a PS2 so i'm by no means Sony faithful, I just like the old PS1.

What I meant by " But if it were not for Nintendo there would be no PSX" is that the Playstation was originally an add on for the SNES. But Nintendo decided to screw Sony over and go to Philips, which ended up being nothing. So, if Nintendo didnt screw Sony over then there would be no PSX. I bet Nintendo is still kicking themselves for that too.

So you never had a problem with your PSX huh. You never had to tip it on its side so it would actually read a disc? It never overheated on you? Maybe Sony just released crappy ones in USA or something.

as im sure a few here know, i didnt play a single sony game until i got ps2 in 2001 :P and in the days of 94-95 i seriously didnt like it looming on the horizon then of course clearing out atari sega 3d0. well everyone except nintendo,

of course in those days cd rom games ( barring the sweet turbografx cd!) as a majority ments full motion video shit. im sure we can all agree on that, when the sega cd hit and the first 50 games were all movies, it really put a bad taste in my mouth,

thankfully sony (and sega and nintendo) realized that this wasnt the way to go and cd roms had the change to outshine cart rom and truly make some good games

sony, much like nintendo exactly 10 years before needed to have a lock on the market and needed to drive those other platforms out of the game or else the state of games today would probbaly be sad, if not already nonexistent.

getting off the topic a bit though since it has sort of titled to opnions of sony as a whole (which is fine) i think about every 10 years here needs to be an "invisible hand" so to speak since it seems a new tech gets brought in every 10 years or so and people try to jump o it and there needs to be one that sets the mold for the next gen.

think of online games now and think of the next gen when probably the majority of games wil be equipped with, also think that other companies (possible ones that deal in online service, aol im looking at you!) might bring out a system or 2 to play in the game

if yu compare this to cd rom boom, or the 3rd party boom of 1993-ish and 1983-ish respectily then obvioulsy see that sony and nintendo before them may not have been right in what they did but it was needed to keep the gaming game stable enough to move on.

as far as new ps one games, when xbox and game cube hit i sort of was sad because quirky systems with quirky games seemed to be extint, think of systems and games like turbo grafx lynx, saturn even nuon. games that werent madly popular but had a devoted following, with all 3 new

systems in the forfront it seeme to me that this type of game is gone, but i see with the psone it is reborn in a way, im just eternally sad the remake of dragon warrior was cancelled!

and cheap games en masse? well of course, im sure most kids will only keep the gran turismos 2;s the final fantasys and sell off the rest and of course we coudl get them cheap

of course this means i doubt well ever see psone games in thirfts, but most games at EB are cheaper than atari games at thrifts! haha

yeah, I remember now, the 'Playstation' was supposed to be a CD-rom device for the SNES wasn't it? That is the kind of Nintendo arrogance that made developers move to Sony, an arrogance they've thankfully lost now.

I recommend anyone read 'Game Over' for an insight into how overpowering Nintendo actually were back in the day. If it hadn't been for Sony (and in some part, Sega) Nintendos new system would be an expensive difficult-to-develop-for cartridge-based nightmare of a machine.

A quick note. I live in the US. Purchased my PSone about the 2nd year they were out, played the hell out of games on it, Fell asleep listening to CDs on it at night when I lived in an apartment and was using it as my bedroom "entertainment system" and have not had the first issues with it....

Maybe they just sent all the crappy ones to Illinois??? :?

yeah, I remember now, the 'Playstation' was supposed to be a CD-rom device for the SNES wasn't it?  That is the kind of Nintendo arrogance that made developers move to Sony, an arrogance they've thankfully lost now.

I recommend anyone read 'Game Over' for an insight into how overpowering Nintendo actually were back in the day.  If it hadn't been for Sony (and in some part, Sega) Nintendos new system would be an expensive difficult-to-develop-for cartridge-based nightmare of a machine.

Not many people know this apparently but the name of the SNES CD addon was called the PS-X that is why people mistakenly refer to the PlayStation as the PSX. I know this for a fact, I was developing SNES games when the PSX thing blew up in Nintendo's face. I still have the original manual for the SNES addon project.

Oh and Moycon, I have every NTSC PlayStation version made (e.g. 1000,1001,3000,3500,5501,7001,7501,9001 ... blah blah) except the Yarozee and the green debug station and they all still work like a charm so I don't know what he means either. :D

Thats a bit harsh.  Do you hate the Playstation or just what you think it represents.

Mostly what it represents I guess. The Playstation started the whole 3D thing (You could argue that it had already started, but the PSX is what made it what it is now), which normally would be okay... but Sony made many attempts to kill off 2D, which pissed me off to no end. It brought in a whole attitude of "If it's not 3D, then it obviously sucks", which is an incredibly short-sighted opinion. Sony actually would not let Capcom make 2D Street Fighter games on the Playstation because they didn't think it showed off the hardware enough. What kind of garbage is that? Thankfully Sega is a little more enlightened, and I can play Capcom Vs. SNK in peace.

I have also never had any respect for Sony. They have no business being in the video game industry in my opinion. I don't understand how the PSX became so popular... there are barely any games on the Playstation that look at all interesting to me. I seriously like more games on the Jaguar than on the Playstation. Most of them are just ripoffs of previous games anyways. I'm almost surprised that the glut of crappy PSX games didn't cause another video game crash... It also pisses me off that so many PSX games are just burned copies. My brother's whole collection is just burned games. I guess I can't really blame this on Sony, but it still pisses me off somehow.

The Playstation changed the industry in a way that I very much disliked. I would have been much happier seeing the Saturn and 3D0 battle it out for a while. Of course, I also hated the NES for doing pretty much the same thing, so I guess I'm just some weirdo... But if Sony is ever forced out of the industry like Sega was, you can bet that I'll be the first person cheering.

--Zero

Thats crazy. You guys have never heard of the old Playstations skipping while playing FMV's? A couple of years ago videogame magazines were talking about it. You had to tip the Playstation on its side because the transport track got worn out.

Moycon- Maybe Sony did release all the crappy ones in IL :lolblue: . I know three people around me who had their Playstations crap out on them with the same problem.

Thats crazy. You guys have never heard of the old Playstations skipping while playing FMV's? A couple of years ago videogame magazines were talking about it. You had to tip the Playstation on its side because the transport track got worn out.  

Moycon- Maybe Sony did release all the crappy ones in IL :lolblue: . I know three people around me who had their Playstations crap out on them with the same problem.

The FMV skipping thing was admitted by Sony, it is due to the fact that the power supply inside the 100x models and the blue debug station is too close the the laser, so it get's too hot and stops working correctly. However this only happens if you sit glued to your television for 5 hours and more and never turn of the machine.

Well that explains it then. My model # is SCPH-5501.

I was hesitant at first to get a PS because up until then I was very satisfied with NES and SNES and I had just moved on to the N64 . (Of course I also hated the NES when it first came out. I couldn't believe the thing didn't have a joystick!!!!!) I was feeling like I was missing out on the FMV tho staying with Nintendo exclusively. So I got a PS and broke out of the Nintendo only way of thinking. ( Hell, Dreamcast was the first Sega system I owned also)

As far as PS not letting anyone release 2-D games??? Where's that coming from??? Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy VI, GTA, Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 (Japan), In The Hunt (Awesome very early PS game)Megaman X4, Castlevania: SotN.

Granted there isn't a glut of 2-D games. I think it was difficult to program the PS to do 2-D, plus the fact that people are going to make games that are selling at the time. I know early on Sony had a sort of no 2-D, no RPG attitude going on. But come on, Give some credit. There's a ton of great 2-D games and RPG's. So ultimately if you like those games you should have no complaints unless your a person who just likes to hold a grudge.

I honestly can't see a gamer "hating" any system. They all have their highpoints (and low-points) PS one had a buttload of lame games... But at the same time for every 10 crap games they had a decent game and that's ALOT of decent games.

Who cares what company made the system, who cares if they tried to break out of the same ol same ol mold. Everyone hates change... but it happens. And when people embrace the change as they obviously did with the PSone then it's going to continue to change... Then the moaners and complainers become part of a minority and aren't listened to because they obviously have a personal issue with the console or company and at that point their opinion becomes clouded.... Anyone remember Adrian M?? That was a gamer that didn't like any gaming systems but X-Box (and one other).... He must have had a shitty time growing up playing with all those "crap" game systems.

Me I play em all now.... and my favorite system is none of the above, I find something to like about them all.

I do still fire up old PS games on my PS2 so I for one say I hope the PS doesn't die just yet.