IGNORED

Xbox360 scratched our disc

Cafeman

My son moved our horizontally-set 360 while Guitar Hero world tour was on - he was trying to plug in the USB microphone into the back (he didn't know about the semi-hidden front USB ports I guess). Horrible sound, turned off, checked and our GH disc is ruined with a huge scratch mid-way round the middle.

I read in the manual that you aren't supposed to move the system w/a disc in it (makes sense). So, its our fault but what is the best thing to do now? Can game shops buffer-out these 360 dvd discs just like in the CD gaming days? I read that MS has a returned-scratched disc policy - could I use that I wonder? (but its an Activision game..)

One other hope for us - I bought the 2-year extra warranty on this Guitar Hero WT package from Best Buy. I bought it because I guessed the instruments could fail. But the game itself is part of that package too - maybe BB will replace it - haven't checked yet.

Any suggestions or experience with this?

I had a similar accident happen when I first got my 360. My dog had bumped the TV stand and knocked the 360 over. It put a huge gouge my copy of Gears of War. I took mine to Game Crazy. They charged something like $3 to buff it out on their machine. Worked great. You can still see where it was slightly, but it plays fine.

Funny thing is the store clerk knew exactly what happened when I brought it in. His word of advice, "always keep your 360 on it's side." I have never stood it up since. :P

Never understood why people would want to have their console vertical.

"Lets take our very expensive and delicate video gaming electronics and place them in such a way where it has the smallest surface contact area and worst center of gravity possible." :ponder:

It wouldn't be so bad if they used common sense and put the weight of the console towards the side that would be the bottom. 360 is already top-heavy because of the DVD drive, throw on the HDD and it skews the center of gravity even more. PS2 had the same problem with it's DVD & HDD also being on the "top" side. :ponder: :|

Edited by Artlover

I took it to a CD exchange, the girl recognized immediately what happened and told me not to bother paying the $3.00 to resurface it. I told her to try anyway. It made the circular scratch less noticeable,but when we got home the game still wouldn't load up. crap.

I took it to a CD exchange, the girl recognized immediately what happened and told me not to bother paying the $3.00 to resurface it. I told her to try anyway. It made the circular scratch less noticeable,but when we got home the game still wouldn't load up. crap.

If they really love the game and you run out of alternatives, you can snag these guitar games disk only pretty cheap.

There are some of the World Tour on Amazon right now < $20 shipped

You can get the older ones (GH2, GH3) for even cheaper.

Yep, I already own GH3 so we played that tonight. I'll be on the lookout for GH:WT used disc-only games too.

I bought a $30 warranty on the GH:WT instruments from Best Buy. I wonder if it would ever be possible the warranty covers the game too? Anybody know how the BB sales folks will respond to me question?

I tried calling 2 BB's tonight ... do you think ANYBODY would answer the phone? Both places let the phone ring 10 minutes , no answer. So I did what they wanted - I gave up trying.

We put in the fresh copy of GH:WT , making sure to plug in the microphone this time before the system was even on and thus bump it and scratch this copy too! :ponder:

We tried vocals and the microphone for the very first time ... don't expect to see any of us on American Idol anytime soon. :cringe!: