IGNORED

Pac-Man's enemies: Ghosts, Monsters, Ghost-Monsters?

Pac-Man's Enemies  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call them?

• Monsters
    • Ghosts
    • Ghost-Monsters
    • Something Else

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Personally, I call them MONSTERS, just like all the other kids of the early 1980s. In one intermission, Blinky gets his leg bloodied by Pac-Man.

"Ghosts" is an Atari invention to explain away the horrible flickering of the VCS version. Unfortunately, the name stuck. The (awful) Hanna-Barbera cartoon split the difference and called them "ghost-monsters."

What do you think?

Edited by Flojomojo

Personally, I call them MONSTERS, just like all the other kids of the early 1980s. In one intermission, Blinky gets his leg bloodied by Pac-Man.

"Ghosts" is an Atari invention to explain away the horrible flickering of the VCS version.

If the game in question includes that intermission (or the one following it), they can hardly be considered "ghosts". They are just shy ;)

Tho it's leg isn't bloodied. It's just revealed from it's "sheet" being torn.

"Ghosts" is an Atari invention to explain away the horrible flickering of the VCS version. Unfortunately, the name stuck. The (awful) Hanna-Barbera cartoon split the difference and called them "ghost-monsters."

What do you think?

I've always called them Ghosts but knew people who called them Monsters too...

I always trip off that one intermission in Pac-man for 5200,during the key levels where Blinky looks like he turned into a slug and crawls on the floor. That actually creeped me out when I was little lol. Maybe they are Monsters?? I always wonder if there's any intermissions I have'nt seen yet. How far does that game go?? I made it very far the other night,the later levels are a trip because you can eat a power pellet and the ghost-mosters would stay frightened throughout the whole level.

Edited by lushgirl_80

The original Instruction card on Pac-Man called them Monsters. That's enough proof for me. ;)

^This... but oddly enough , the rear of the Pac-Man flyer refers to them as ghost-monsters.

Pac-Man flyer

Keeping with the inconsistency , by the time Pac-Mania rolls around , they're officially labeled ghosts.

Pac-Mania flyer

• Like 3

They are monsters wearing sheets that look similar to the classic ghost costumes that kids wear on Halloween, except they couldn't find white sheets in the house, so they grabbed the expensive colored ones instead. Totally pissed off their mom. If you want to call them ghosts because they are wearing ghost costumes, that's fine. If you want to call them monsters because they are monsters under those ghost costumes, that's fine too. Do you want to know what they look like under the sheets? Here's a rare shot of three of them out of their ghost costumes:

post-13-1236789331.jpg

It's really hard to get a shot of the fourth one out of costume because he's very shy.

• 2 years later...

Yes sorry I'm bumping a two year old thread but I was just wondering this the other day, thinking about the reason WHY game designers chose the characters that they did. The idea that they're "ghosts" really didn't make sense to me even as a kid since you can't "eat" a ghost, but generic monsters I guess just makes more sense within the world of pacman. They aren't ghosts in the traditional sense anymore than the monsters in Dig Dug turn from monsters to ghosts to move through the dirt and back to monsters again, even though they're described as turning into "ghosts". I've always looked at the creatures in many of these games as simply alien monsters who have special powers to transform themselves.

Maybe I'm just over analyzing and need a break :D

The original Instruction card on Pac-Man called them Monsters. That's enough proof for me. ;)

The original instruction card wasn't in English. (I'd like to see the original japanese one, too... I bet it they translate more closely to ghost-monster than to either individual term.)

They're ghosts to me, ever since I first saw 'em.

As someone mentioned above, in one of the original pacman intermissions, one of the "ghosts" gets his sheet ripped revealing a leg. Makes me think they're monsters or creatures wearing sheets. Certainly not "ghosts" in the traditional way we see them. I'd be curious what the games creator meant for them to be, if the Japanese word isn't properly translated as ghost.

I thought I remember the original term simply being "enemies" but I can't find that link anymore.

Edited by AtariLeaf

At Pac-Man's Japanese Wikipedia page, the term used is "Monsters." I don't mean the Japanese word for "monster" (化け物, "bakemono") but rather the English word "monster" transliterated into katakana.

Personally, I always called them "ghosts," not because I played the 2600 port but because they looked like (colorful) ghosts. It was not until many years later that I ever saw the intermission with the ripped sheet.

Incidentally, those segments in the game that we call "intermissions" in English are called "coffee breaks" in Japanese (as demonstrated in that Wikipedia page). Once again, it is the English phrase "coffee break" rendered in katakana.

onmode-ky

P.S. I don't see anything wrong with edible ghosts, AtariLeaf. :)

• Like 2

I'm used to calling them Ghost-Monsters because of the cartoon.

I just thought of a related question. What do you call the things that turn the enemies blue, Power Pellets, Power Pills, or Energizers?

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1