IGNORED

Here's one for insane shipping

MegaManFan

This is getting so bad it is actually quite funny. Now someone is actually cheating on the insurance fee. $4.28? Here is the actual schedule from the PO site.

0.01 to $50.00 $1.30

50.01 to 100.00 2.20

100.01 to 200.00 3.20

200.01 to 300.00 4.20

So the guy expects the cart to sell for $200 :? Maybe there is a $3 "handling" fee for buying you the insurance. That must be it :D

Yeah, shipping is out of control. A single cartridge like this can be mailed for $3.85 priority mail, and for much less via first class mail in a simple padded envelope. It's also interesting that this seller lists the cartridge in "Excellent condition", but lists the label separately in "Good condition". I don't know, but with that big hole in the middle of the label, I wouldn't consider it in "Good" condition.

..Al

This is getting so bad it is actually quite funny. Now someone is actually cheating on the insurance fee. $4.28? Here is the actual schedule from the PO site.

Where in the auction does it say the seller is shipping by the regular Post Office? :ponder: Maybe he is using another service? Do you know for sure? Some sellers ship the way they want to ship and that's it - some will work with you and ship however you want. Why does everyone here automatically assume if someone seems to be charging more than they should for shipping, it's a "rip-off" or a "scam"???

Where in the auction does it say the seller is shipping by the regular Post Office?   :ponder:   Maybe he is using another service?  Do you know for sure?  Some sellers ship the way they want to ship and that's it - some will work with you and ship however you want.  Why does everyone here automatically assume if someone seems to be charging more than they should for shipping, it's a "rip-off" or a "scam"???

Sure, it's quite possible that this seller is using UPS or FedEx to ship his packages. But of the hundreds of items I've won on eBay over the years, virtually all of them have been sent via the US Postal Service. So I think it's a pretty safe to assume that most sellers are using USPS to ship, unless otherwise stated. I'm sorry, but over $11.00 to ship a single Atari 2600 cart with insurance is excessive.

.Al

Where in the auction does it say the seller is shipping by the regular Post Office? :ponder: Maybe he is using another service? Do you know for sure? Some sellers ship the way they want to ship and that's it - some will work with you and ship however you want. Why does everyone here automatically assume if someone seems to be charging more than they should for shipping, it's a "rip-off" or a "scam"???

United Parcel insures up to $100 for free. Only $0.35 for every 100 after that. Using them would be even more of a ""rip-off or a scam".

What other service did you have in mind?

What other service did you have in mind?

It's not for me to decide how this person ships his packages. I've been around long enough to know not to make any assumptions. If I have a genuine concern, I'll ask the seller and if he doesn't answer to my satisfaction, I'll pass on the auction. I won't harass his or send out some punk-assed email looking to argue with him over why he is out to rip everybody off with his insane shipping scam! Has it occurred to anyone that the shipping info listed in that auction may be incorrect to begin with? Maybe they just made a simple mistake, you know, a typo? :roll:

Seems like people here are so uptight over some of these issues and are looking to start a real witch hunt. You guys really need to relax a bit. :|

I could bitch about this auction as well that i just won $6.50 for shipping, i know its alot for shipping as i got 3 complete boxed Genesis games (heavy ones) from Ice Cold shipped (priority mail w/insurance) for less then $6.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1381015428&rd=1

but i think $16.50 for a complete miracle warriorsw/map for the SMS a good price,

and i always add the shipping in with the most i will pay for an item i'm bidding on

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1381015428&rd=1

but i think $16.50 for a complete miracle warriorsw/map for the SMS

It's not bad. I did the same thing with this seller and bought a complete in the box King's Quest for SMS. Once in a while it's worth paying the ridiculous S&H if you factor the cost into the price and it's still less than what you'd pay for a copy of the game otherwise.

BTW if you're collecting rare SMS games I have a few duplicates that I'd be willing to sell. I would trade, but only for overseas games or for US manuals from the 39 or so US games I have that are incomplete.

$6.85 is overpriced no matter which service you provide. You can ship across country this package fully insured using Airborne or UPS for under $5.00. I'm sorry, but I think this person is way out of control. Where does he get this $4.32 from? That is a strange number to pick for insurance since every company rounds things off. I'm not going thru the whole free boxes, packing material, tape thing again either. That was covered in the last overpriced shipping topic.

Phil

:x

First off: My prices are arranged according to MY AUCTION NEEDS. Do you ask Mc Donalds to lower their food costs because you don't agree with them? Secondly, These items are for mature collectors who can AFFORD the peanut priced shipping! If you can't afford shipping, then obviously you shouldn't be spending your money because you are poor like most of us!! If you don't like the auctions prices, CLOSE YOUR EXPLORER WINDOW. If you want free shipping, PAY ME FOR MY TIME AND MATERIALS. I do not appreciate your immature haggling over such a small amount of money. If you can't afford to buy it, you shouldn't be browsing or bidding. I do the best I can. I LOWERED THE INSURANCE PRICE TO 2 DOLLARS DUE TO THESE COMPLAINTS, SHIPPING COSTS WILL REMAIN THE SAME. All those who have business experience will agree that this is fundamental to the survival of your services. I'm sorry some of you are disappointed, but again, I'm not getting paid to type these letters am I?

I actually contacted Matthew and linked him to this thread. Though I received a much more pleasant email than what he posted here. I told him that many of us were disappointed with him and similar sellers charging high shipping. Most people understand that it is a business for some, and even a living, including myself. I pay many of my bills with ebay and if it wasn't for ebay, I might be in the street. Personally I don't make much on shipping, if anything at all, and I explained this to Matthew. But as a seller, he has a right to do what he wants, and as buyers, we also have the right not to buy.

What he considers a business, most of us consider a hobby. As a collector, most of us do not want to pay a higher price for the shipping than the actual item. But I do understand that if an item doesn't sell for much, a seller may actually be losing money. Though they take this risk, some sellers see this as a fair way to "make up" for lost money. I just suggested he lower his shipping prices so he can possibly see more activity and a higher return on his product.

When I contact a seller about something like shipping, or a highly outrageous price on a product, I do so with the highest respect and courtesy. I've had many assholes email me when I am either charging too high, or somehow am misinformed on what I am selling. So I try not to take that tone when giving advice about too high prices or shipping.

Again, I think that if this and other similar threads were handled a little better (less flaming on the seller), and your words were put slightly milder, a seller would learn how our hobby is, what our gripes are with less voice, and may even give us a little respect. Of course you will run into those "assholes" who won't give a damn what you think, but if you try and treat sellers a little better and inform them that what they are doing will not yield positive results, then maybe they will negotiate on friendly terms. (sounds like war) :)

Phil

First off: My prices are arranged according to MY AUCTION NEEDS. Do you ask Mc Donalds to lower their food costs because you don't agree with them? Secondly, These items are for mature collectors who can AFFORD the peanut priced shipping! If you can't afford shipping, then obviously you shouldn't be spending your money because you are poor like most of us!!

Nice rant. I'm sorry you don't "appreciate our immature haggling over such a small amount of money", but when the shipping costs as much or more than the game itself, it's not a "small amount of money", especially when added up over many auctions. You'd be surprised at how much money you can spend just on shipping alone if you buy games from many different sellers on eBay. It adds up very quickly. Just because people want to be frugal and don't want to pay your inflated shipping costs doesn't mean they are "poor".

I see you still have no bids on this auction, guess that's working out really well for you! Perhaps if your shipping was more reasonable, you'd actually get more people bidding on your auctions and might actually make out more in the end. And messages like this in a public forum attacking people who are discussing your auctions certainly is not going to encourage anyone to deal with you.

..Al

I received a 2nd email from Matthew and actually took a look at his feedback. He is new to selling and actually seems like a nice guy. His "rant" as Al called it didn't help his ice breaker here, but I think with some advice and help, he'll turn out to be a much more friendly seller and reasonable businessman. I spent the better of a half hour giving him advice, so hopefully things will work out for him.

It's tough trying to become a seller on Ebay. Some people do it for extra money, some to get rid of stuff they have lying around, and others for a living. If your choice is making a living, it'll be hard in the beginning. You need to have quality material that will be profitable in the long run. The big problem is that there is no easy way on how to get started. Most people don't realize the amount of time it takes to actually "do" an auction.

I figure my average time on an auction is no more than 5 minutes. This includes the picture/scan, typing, and uploading. Though I consider myself an expert now. I've had to post at least 5000 auctions in the past 4 years doing this for both myself, and several others. There are many shortcuts to save time, but you have to spend initial time learning that. There is no simple rulebook for this. Maybe I should make one. :)

So hopefully Matt will come back to Atari Age, read how awesome most of you guys and gals really are, and have a change of heart at this initial flaming thread. It's better to have friends than enemies.

Phil

:D

Hello again! Every good turn deserves another. I only replied to the numerous comments, some helpful but more were INSULTING, within the same range of anamosity. I realize that lower shipping prices are more attractive to bidders, but I can't imagine passing an item up just because I paid 3 dollars more in shipping charges than a different auction (if there is one). Although; I know exactly what you mean when you say "Ebay shipping totals add up", which is why you have to budget your money when bidding. I never cheated anyone on an auction, nor do I want to get cheated. My auctions are based on my Ebay buying experience. Thanks to a little HELP from Phil, I'm a little more confident in selling at lower shipping rates but am still slightly offended by the witch hunt on this forum. The comment about the "POOR" was directed at the inconsiderate people who have made my Ebay selling experience an insulting one. If you sugar coat shit, at the very least, it tastes sweet! Thanks Phil for being a great Ebay friend with your honest replies and more than helpful information. I wish everyone followed your lead. I'll be in touch.

BY THE WAY! This "UNFAIRLY PRICED SHIPPING, EBAY SELLER, has allot in his closet. The current experience has led me to believe that I should sell my collection in one lump sum to avoid "UNFAIR" shipping. I currently have a COLECO VISION with steering wheel, special controllers and numerous games, Atari 2600 with almost 300 games, (some in boxes). NES with almost 200 games with various controllers etc... Sega Master system in box with games in box.....etc..... I have a huge collection of almost every game system. I am selling everything! MY whole collection will be up for auction on Ebay within 2 weeks with a starting bid of $0.00 and only $8,000.00 for SHIPPING! J/K. Shipping will be BASED upon the cost of the shipping and supplies. Trust me; It won't be $6.85! I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out and also forgive everyone who used my name as a verb "Matt" and trampled my reputation. All is fair and all is forgiven.

So hopefully Matt will come back to Atari Age, read how awesome most of you guys and gals really are, and have a change of heart at this initial flaming thread. It's better to have friends than enemies.

I spent some time going through over 20 pages of Atari 2600 auctions on eBay and didn't see anyone approaching the prices Matt is charging for shipping on a single cart. The highest I saw was $5.00, and the average price for mailing a single cart was probably around $2.50. And a good number of these auctions are run by people doing it "as a business", judging from some of the very high feedback sellers as well as those where it's obvious a business is involved.

While I haven't run nearly as many auctions as you, I have run several large batches of auctions (over 70 items simultaneously) and know of the work involved. Obviously you want to be as efficient as possible in taking your pictures, writing descriptions and getting the auctions online. This is definitely something you get better at as you gain more experience. If you can do these things efficiently as well as manage the actual auctions efficiently (communications, payment and shipping), then you shouldn't have to fleece people for shipping. Using excessively inflated shipping charges to help pad your profit just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as a seller and a buyer. If the profit you are making on the items you're selling is not covering your time and expenses, then you need to find other items to sell. :)

..Al

The current experience has led me to believe that I should sell my collection in one lump sum to avoid "UNFAIR" shipping. I currently have a COLECO VISION with steering wheel, special controllers and numerous games, Atari 2600 with almost 300 games, (some in boxes). NES with almost 200 games with various controllers etc... Sega Master system in box with games in box.....etc..... I have a huge collection of almost every game system. I am selling everything! MY whole collection will be up for auction on Ebay within 2 weeks with a starting bid of $0.00 and only $8,000.00 for SHIPPING! J/K. Shipping will be BASED upon the cost of the shipping and supplies. Trust me; It won't be $6.85! I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out and also forgive everyone who used my name as a verb "Matt" and trampled my reputation. All is fair and all is forgiven.

The easiest way to avoid allegations of "UNFAIR" shipping is not to charge obviously inflated shipping rates. :)

As for selling your entire collection, while that will certainly be much easier than selling everything individually, you will make considerably less as a result. You'll save a great deal of time in not having to take pictures of individual items, writing up descriptions for everything, managing a ton of auctions, dealing with many different winners, and shipping everything out piecemeal. However, large auctions like what you're planning will always net quite a bit less than the items might fetch individually.

If you do sell it all together, then I assume you are familiar with setting a reserve price so you can ensure that you fetch what you consider the minimum you're willing to accept for the auction? My advice would be to start the bidding low (like you stated) and set your reserve to the appropriate value. This will attract more people to the auction early on and will net you many more bids than an auction with a high opening bid. The more people paying attention to an auction, the better the odds of a bidding war near the end. :)

Good luck with your auctions.

..Al

I agree with Albert on this. Shipping is way out of hand on Ebay.

As a buyer mostly, I could really care less what a seller charges though. I just WILL NOT bid.

Now, with that said, I am so frustrated with Ebay shipping and handling and some other seller demands, I am contemplating quitting using it.(Now before some meathead chimes in that "One person quitting Ebay won't make a sh*t of a difference!"), You are right, but many people feeling the same way will.

A seller NEEDS a buyer more than a buyer needs a seller! Ebay sellers seem to forget this a lot of the time! Sellers have no problem trying to demand a mailed payment in five working days or some garbage, but have no problem waiting until their "shipping day" to mail my parcel off to me.

Another new problem is the seller not leaving feedback until I have left mine!!!! NO NO and NO!!! Once my payment has been received, my part of the transaction is complete! I will actually email a seller now and ask him if he does this. If he does I do not bid. I have never left anyone a negative feedback, but do not like to be blackmailed into leaving a positive one.

As a buyer, I am quite important to a sellers livelyhood. See "Capitolism!", Now for the people who called this a witchhunt...Whatever!!!! I appreciate seeing the guys here bring up the pathetic sellers who make more on shipping than their crappy product....I know to avoid ANY auctions with their name on it!!!!It saves me time, and MONEY, in case I don't read an auction well enough(I'm human too!!)

Now mrretrogamer, who cares what method of shipping is done,,for all the buyers I know,cheaper is better on anything under 50$$$$ I do not need my combat cart brought to me by armored car!!!!!

Any business assumes operating costs. If you want to recover your "operating costs" do it with the product(ie up the opening bid) .....One scamming seller can ruin it for fifty others...If i get really frustrated with it, I just turn the computer off. No buying that night! Sorry to the other "reputable" sellers, but you just lost some business because the other one just made me vomit in my toilet.

I hope some sellers read this, just to see what buyers are starting to think of them...........If Enron can fall,,,,So can Ebay!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion....And you CAN NOT make me change it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Regards, Julian Scott

I really like voiced opinions. It's always fun to read. I agree that you leaving fb should have no effect on the seller leaving fb. I leave fb based upon how fast a bidder pays. The biggest problem with selling is the fees. The ebay fees are high, and thus selling items under $5.00 isn't even worth the effort. So the seller has to make a decision on whether or not to group said items to bring that total over $5.00, or to just not sell the item at all. A seller's job is not an easy task and takes much work.

Phil