IGNORED

"black and white"

420fourtwenty

Hi,

Im in Canada and I bought a Jaguar on Ebay from France. after I bought it I realized that Europe uses different plugs and tv wires. So i just bought a composite wire and a american plug.

First time i tried it the screen was jumping and black and white. then I found out how to change from 50hz to 60hz! it worked for the jumping screen but everything is still in black and white.

I read on this forum that pal gives a different signal that my tv may not recognize. Then I read that if you have an ntsc and if you want to use it in europe you can do something with the R19 resister which should make the euro tv's recognize it better.

**If you have a pal, is there a way to modify it for the american tv's to recognize the signal using a composite wire?**

I also have the scart wire and i ordered a scart to composite adapter($3), maybe that will give my color?

If not I will also order a pal to ntsc converter . theyre about $40.

Yeah, you need to put in the 50\60 Hz. switch at R140 underneath the board, rip out the resister there and solder in a switch, since you have a PAL Jag and it must match all your other NTSC components -TV, PS, video cable. You may only need to put in or rip out this 0-Ohm resister at R140.

Go here dude, for the proceedure:http://mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm

Edited by ovalbugmann

European Jaguars output PAL signals, which your TV doesn't like, apparently.

The 50/60 Hz switch will change the refresh rate only, but the color system will stay the same, so that will not solve your problem. To convert a PAL Jaguar to a NTSC one, you would also need to change a resistor connected to the video encoder chip, and to replace two crystals which have different frequencies for NTSC (and if you're nitpicky, replace the green LED with a red one ;) ). I don't know if anyone ever tried it.

If your TV has a SCART socket on the back, a Péritel cable is an ideal solution : besides solving the format problem, it also gives a much crisper picture than composite.

The 50/60 Hz switch will change the refresh rate only, but the color system will stay the same, so that will not solve your problem. To convert a PAL Jaguar to a NTSC one, you would also need to change a resistor connected to the video encoder chip, and to replace two crystals which have different frequencies for NTSC (and if you're nitpicky, replace the green LED with a red one ;) ). I don't know if anyone ever tried it.

If your TV has a SCART socket on the back, a Péritel cable is an ideal solution : besides solving the format problem, it also gives a much crisper picture than composite.

Thanks!

Sounds like fun!

i took off the 140. the only thing now is the black and white screen.

Where can I get a new resistor and crystals of NTSC frequencies?

Thanks!

Sounds like fun!

Thanks!

Sounds like fun!

you could try http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/text.htm.

Is the motherboard the same on NTSC and PAL systems? if not you may be hitting big problems, but BEST do have NOS motherboards available (at a price!)

The problem is that the only schematic we have is the one for the NTSC version, and it doesn't mention all the parts that are different for the PAL version.

But AFAIK, 95% of the system doesn't care about NTSC/PAL, the PCB is the same for both, and only a handful of parts have different values.

Differences I know about :

- R140 (0 ohm resistor) : absent for NTSC, present for PAL

- R19 (0 ohm resistor) : present for NTSC, absent for PAL

- Y1 : 14.31818 MHz for NTSC, 17.734475 MHz for PAL

- Y2 : 26.590906 MHz for NTSC, 26.593900 MHz for PAL

- D3 : red LED for NTSC, green LED for PAL

There may be others, but I think that's all. The crystal frequencies for Y2 are non-standard, I believe the only place that sells them is indeed Best Electronics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

Revisiting this topic nearly 15 years later, because someone asked about getting a PAL Jaguar to output true NTSC. In addition to what I wrote above:

- Y2 may be hard to get. Best Electronics may have this crystal in stock: https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm

- The chroma bandpass filter (U1) and the few parts connected to it may be different too, but I don't have any precise info on that. Using the video encoder datasheet as a guide may help: https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/167384/MOTOROLA/MC13077P.html

• Like 1