IGNORED

Mario Bros 7800 is my favorite version

Atarifever

I first played the Famicom version of Mario Bros. way, way back in the 80s, then I played the 2600 version awhile after that, then the Super Mario Bros. 3 game, then, just today for the first time I played it on the 7800. Given that I first played it on the Famicom (well Famicom cart on NES), and seeing the screens online for the 7800, and knowing what to expect sonically, I figured this would not be a favorite of mine. However, this is the best version I've played in several respects.

The fireballs feel more dangerous for one. I hardly ever die as a direct result of the fireballs on the NES (being hit by enemies while dodging a fireball maybe), but in this version they're all over the place. Also, for once I feel like the flies are a threat. On the NES I've never gotten why they're supposed to be "harder" than the crabs (coming along later in the order). On this version I miss them during their hops lots of times. Finally, the challenge stages, which I always 10/10 on the NES, I really have to work for on this version. I have to say, this version of the game seems to me to be a much more challenging game. I am sure the NES version is probably closer to the original arcade version, but if that is the case, this is an example of a time I prefer the less faithful port.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The sound effects on 7800 Mario Bros are like stabbing fondue forks in my ears.

I have always had fantasies of having the time to fire up my CCII to do a hack of 7800 Mario Bros. with improved sound, featuring Pokey sound chip support.

You may be shocked to hear this, but Rhindle's hack of 2600 Mario Bros. is right up there with 7800 Mario Bros. as my favorite console version.

Edited by 128bytes

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...