IGNORED

Thinking about buying a 5200, 2port or 4port?

Torx

im interested in getting a 5200 collection going, but im stuck on 2 port or 4 port.

from the light research ive done, im aware the 2 port doesnt need the rf switcher periph like the 4 port does.

i wanna be able to use any and all accessories, use a flash cart, play any 5200 game including 2600 games and have a firesafe console :P

last thing i need is sparks shooting out of a crippled rf unit.

on the rarity scale, which is more sought after or rare? 2 port 4 port? which is highly advised to stay away from??

so what would be my best route?

thanks alot

Unmodified, the 4-port model will play all 5200 games but does not work with the 2600 cartridge adapter.

An unmodified 2-port model will not play the 5200 games Pitfall! and Mountain King, but will work with the 2600 cartridge adapter.

In mint condition, the 4-port model looks prettier because it has more shiny black plastic.

In used condition, the 2-port model looks prettier because it has less shiny black plastic to get scratched up.

When I was looking for a 5200 lately, I found a lot more 4-port models than 2-port ones.

But that may be just coincidence.

I have a 2 port with a 4 port BIOS. That way, I get the best of both worlds of being able to play Pitfall and Mountain King, but not have to mess with the screwy RF switchbox, and be able to use the 2600 adapter. However, I don't know if I would let the fact of not being able to use the 2600 adapter on a 4 port really deter you--as you can always invest into a 2600 or a 7800 for not very much money.

The 4-port switch box really isn't that bad. But if you got one and wanted to modify it, you always can, quite easily.

It may even be easier than going through the trouble of finding a 2-port specifically then putting in a 4-port BIOS.

EDIT: I posted the wrong link. The info to modify the 4-port is around here somewhere, I've seen it just this week.

Edited by Mirage1972

I even recently changed my 2port to a 4Port Bios and I can barely use a screwdriver :P

A friend of mine wound up with a dead system he was tossing so i pulled the 4portBios and what I think is the Pokey and whatever controller chips were socketed incase I need them down the line.

I love the fact that now my 2 port has full compatability with my 2600 adapter with Krok Cart stuck in it all the time and moreso the fact that the 5200 games Krazy and Pitfall now both work on it!

I would go with the 2 port if I were you and eventually swap the bios' when you find a chip for it.

Maybe Best Electrionics sells them? G'luck

The 4-port switch box really isn't that bad. But if you got one and wanted to modify it, you always can, quite easily.

It may even be easier than going through the trouble of finding a 2-port specifically then putting in a 4-port BIOS.

EDIT: I posted the wrong link. The info to modify the 4-port is around here somewhere, I've seen it just this week.

Please keep an eye out for the link. I am very interested in knowing how to do this. I am assuming it is a case of pulling some chips off a 4 port and swapping them out with the 2 port.

Please keep an eye out for the link. I am very interested in knowing how to do this. I am assuming it is a case of pulling some chips off a 4 port and swapping them out with the 2 port.

I know I saw an article on someone's (non-AA) website on how to do it... maybe the article is linked to in one of these threads. Either way, here is a posting on how to do it. Also, see the link to another post in the first post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=20871&hl=

I read These threads below before I decided to do it and that and the schematics to show me where to look for what chip and its #'s was all I needed.

Well that and some nerve because I really am not tool savy and I once heard a buzzing noise in my parents speaker, so I cleaned all this black stuff out around inside the speaker casing. LOL! Of course that was supposed to be there and the speaker never worked again but hey, I was 5!

I still get reminded of that gaffe today but I did pull off the BIOS swap :)

BIOS Thread, has chip numbers in 1st post

5200 Schematics

Pull and Keep these chips if you have at a 4 ports chips

for future reference as it seems like a common problem.

Controller Thread

Thread 2

The hardest part for me was being careful enough and the time that took to get the motherboard cover off. Once that was off, it was simple but you have to be careful that you dont bend or break the chips claws (not sure what to call them) when removing them slowly, good thing I pulled a controller chip first because I mangled it on the way out but I had 4 more for spares that I didnt even need at this time.

So to change it to a 4port bios, its one chip, swap it out with the 2port bios and then mark it and put it away incase you ever need it, atleast thats what I did.

Well goodluck, I hope that helps :)

Edited by Phantom

Outstanding. Thanks for the information on the BIOS chip. I bought a 4 port on EBay today. I will post when it arrives and I swap the chips.

You are welcome.

There is one caveat and I assume it only refers to the Controller chips,

it is that some of those chips arent socketed so you would need soldering skills,

which if you are like me, you dont have these skills.

I am fairly certain that only is for the controller chips an the BIOS should always be socketed I think and someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I read a lot about the 5200 recently but the BIOS always seems to be socketed.

Goodluck with it all ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had a bit of a "DOH!" moment. My non-working 5200 4-port arrived last week. Over the weekend I opened it and pulled out the BIOS chip. It was labeled C019156-05. The chip came out easily, but unless you have a chip-puller, you will bend the prongs. No big deal -- they easily go back into place.

Next I opened my 2-port system. As described above, the hardest part of this operation is getting the shielding off. Those little twisted metal things are a pain to line up with the hole. I ended up breaking a couple off (again, no big deal, you don't need all of them to hold the shield in place).

Once I got the shield off, I located the BIOS on my 2-port.....only to discover it was also labeled C019156-05 -- the exact same chip I had pulled from the 4-port. In my defense, I didn't have a Pitfall or Mountain King cart to test, and the Atari2600.com site states that those games don't work with most 2-port systems, so I never picked one up until now. But guess what? They work fine with my un-modded 2-port system.

I now have an extra 4-port BIOS chip. I do have a spare 2-port 5200 in the closet that I could open up as well. But my luck would be that it already has the correct chip too, so I am going to hold off for now.

Anywho, thanks to those who posted on this thread. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest that you get a 2 port because you wont have nightmares about the auto RF switch box murdering you and burning your house down. I swear I think that thing is alive because of the click that it makes when you turn the system on and off.

I suggest that you get a 2 port because you wont have nightmares about the auto RF switch box murdering you and burning your house down. I swear I think that thing is alive because of the click that it makes when you turn the system on and off.

Er yeah, that's it switching from TV to Game mode. It's supposed to do that. I really think you're freaking out about nothing. There's nothing "wrong" with the 4-switch for crying out loud.

Er yeah, that's it switching from TV to Game mode. It's supposed to do that. I really think you're freaking out about nothing. There's nothing "wrong" with the 4-switch for crying out loud.

Yea... the RF switch to the 4 port gets a bad rap, but it is really nothing to worry about. If it ever dies or gets lost, it's not that hard to find one. And if you already have a 2600 or 7800, then you really don't need the 2600 adaptor.