IGNORED

Handheld 2600?

dommie

I would say that after the FB2 portable comes out, there will be no market for a home made device. The retail price of the FB2p is around $70, hopefully it will come out soon.

The FB2 seems pretty cool, but nobody knows if/when it will be coming out. I'm thinking I could build the cart handheld pictured in like a week.

Don't get me wrong, the USB/internal memory deal would be killer and I'd definitely buy one. I just like the look of the Ben Heck one. Plus the custom built one has a built-in knob for paddle games.

A cartridge-based Atari VCS portable (or NES or Genesis or whatever) never made a lot of sense to me, in that the very portability of the thing is negated somewhat by the necessity of keeping cartridges handy, which get bulky quickly.

Now the Legacy-designed FB2p, that works for me. I'm not sure the controller ports make a lot of sense (how are you going to hold the thing when you're using an external controller? Okay, 2 players...who are you going to get to squint over your shoulder at a 4-inch-ish screen? Unless the device can be connected to a television/monitor...), but otherwise a very cool design.

Now the Legacy-designed FB2p, that works for me. I'm not sure the controller ports make a lot of sense (how are you going to hold the thing when you're using an external controller? Okay, 2 players...who are you going to get to squint over your shoulder at a 4-inch-ish screen? Unless the device can be connected to a television/monitor...), but otherwise a very cool design.

Except that the fire button is on the wrong side (should be on the left), and as far as I can tell, there are no difficulty switches.

I did notice there weren't any difficulty switches, but that doesn't really bother me. I don't use them most of the time anyway. They would be nice, but, barring a handful of games, they're not really essential.

I also have no problem with the fire button/d-pad arrangement. It may not be "accurate," if you're trying to approximate a CX-40 (in which case, obviously, a d-pad isn't going to cut it anyway), but it's probably more familiar and adaptable to the general populace, since virtually every d-pad-type controller ever made is laid out that way. So no, it's not the same as a good, old-fashioned joystick, but I think I can understand why Legacy went the route they did.

Except that the fire button is on the wrong side (should be on the left), and as far as I can tell, there are no difficulty switches.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use a right handed D-pad. That would just feel too awkward. As for the difficulty switches, I do intend on including them. Same goes for the color/bw switch. The entire motherboard will be in the unit more or less, so it should have 100% functionality. I did hear that in most cases the driving paddle is a no-go though, so I should say 100% minus the driving paddle game(s).

Forget any of those one-off homebrew hack jobs. Those are basically 2600 units disassembled and re-packaged into a different housing, along with all the associated unreliabilities of half-baked solder joints and loose screws. The long-term reliability and usability has got to suck.

Just go get one of those mini-EE PC's or something, http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=164 , for example and you can game all day long. You can bring multiple systems with you, and you can trade roms with your buddies, as well as keep up-to-date with atariage happenings. The stella emulator is as good as it gets and really is the wave of the future.

Forget any of those one-off homebrew hack jobs. Those are basically 2600 units disassembled and re-packaged into a different housing, along with all the associated unreliabilities of half-baked solder joints and loose screws. The long-term reliability and usability has got to suck.

Just go get one of those mini-EE PC's or something, http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=164 , for example and you can game all day long. You can bring multiple systems with you, and you can trade roms with your buddies, as well as keep up-to-date with atariage happenings. The stella emulator is as good as it gets and really is the wave of the future.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

LOL, if I wanted to do that I'd just use the laptop I'm typing this message on now. Yes they are EXACTLY a disassembled 2600 with a different housing, reconfigured into a much smaller package, that runs off of batteries, with a built in screen and joystick/paddle controller. And it takes carts. Hence the name "portable handheld Atari 2600."

I guess I can count you out on the pre-order list, aye?

p.s. emulators are the work of the devil. ;)

The FB2 seems pretty cool, but nobody knows if/when it will be coming out. I'm thinking I could build the cart handheld pictured in like a week.

Good luck :) Its harder than it looks. What are you going to do for power? How about a backlight? How do you switch from paddle to joystick fire buttons (pins are different). What about ground loop RF after you have removed all the caps on the pcb (pack of 470pf solved my issues). What about CNC code, sublimation supplies and the various knobs, buttons, etc...

More than a week.....:)

CN

LOL, if I wanted to do that I'd just use the laptop I'm typing this message on now. Yes they are EXACTLY a disassembled 2600 with a different housing, reconfigured into a much smaller package, that runs off of batteries, with a built in screen and joystick/paddle controller. And it takes carts. Hence the name "portable handheld Atari 2600."

I guess I can count you out on the pre-order list, aye?

p.s. emulators are the work of the devil. ;)

Don't waste your breath. He's not going to get it.

Heh...sometimes I think I'd be interested in a portable 2600, or how sweet it would be if a portable 7800 were possible, but then I remember I have a MacBook and can emulate anything. :) Really, the only thing a portable 2600 would be good for is what I saw someone do with (a pink) one in 2006 at the Midwest Gaming Classic: use it to test carts before buying them.