IGNORED

Handheld 2600?

dommie

I used to really want a portable 2600...but then I got a psp with custom firmware :)

I just saw a PSP 2000 clearanced at Best Buy for $125 out the door. What does the custom firmware do?

Lets you play homebrew, play commercial games from the memory stick, and play countless emulators. Right now mine has emulators for the 2600, 5200, Colecovision, Inty, NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, MAME, Genesis...all on one memory stick :)

How do you upgrade the firmware?

I found these forums really useful:

http://www.psp-hacks.com/

I also have a local AA member that already had everything needed. Thankfully he hooked me up. Thanks again shadow460!

That's what I need. Someone to show me how to do it, or just do it for me and put the emulator and games on card for me.

Okay, got the book today. Just by skimming through it I can tell there is quite a bit of work involved. Cases is something I can easily do though so I will begin work on my own original design. Let's see what happens :)

I have the book also, and planned to make one myself but then scaled back my plan and got into a couple of other projects. I recently scored a couple of cheap four-switchers from a craigslister who was clearing out an huge collection(wish I'd had more $ at the time), and maybe your quest for VCSp fire will inspire me.

Good luck and happy modding!

I'm actually attempting one too. Only real reason I want a portable is so that when I purchase games on the like yard sales, I can halfway test some to see that they work. Maybe one day I can find a pepsi invaders.

Hey, that's a really good idea... I've never really felt like I needed a portable 2600, when I can just emulate it on something portable, but that would be very handy.

If I were to make a handheld Atari, I would just use the Atari Flashback 2. ON the board, there are small contacts that are labeled with numbers. One can hook a cartridge port up to those contacts by soldering each connection.