IGNORED

what's the next big retro system to collect for??

I just ment that everything has a timeline to it. Atari will always be popular, but so were baseball cards, starting lineups, comic books, etc. Dealers came along , price guides popped up, and wrecked everything.

Some how, hobbies always seem to gravitate towards to being something collectabile, therefore, causing supply/demand, which creates the "price guide", which, creates "dealers", which creates.......doom

i love my atari stuff and i think the atari people are wonderful, i will always play my breakout, midnight magic, etc.

i just wonder how long before the hobby is saturated...

I know that atari has blown up all over e-bay, the thrift stores, flea markets, etc, but when the atari dust settles, what will be the next retro system that everyone will want? :ponder:

Easy. People are already collecting everything from the 80's right now: Atari, ColecoVision, Intellivision, NES, SMS, et cetera. The "next big thing" will be when the mid 90's systems come back into vogue. Right now some of them are hitting all-time lows due to everybody trading in their last console (or two) to get the new ones, and just today I saw a stack of 15-20 Super Gameboys at my local store. Give it five years and Super Nintendo will be "retro" enough to juice it up. You think $80-$90 for boxed and new Mega Man X3 or Chrono Trigger is bad now? Just wait until people start paying Quadrun prices. :D

I think it'll take longer than you think for Atari to be burned out... when it does fall out of fashion, I think the Nintendo generation will take over and rediscover their nostalgia. Something about the availability and price of Genesis games makes me question whether they will ever get the same popularity... It might get skipped over for the Playstation when the time comes (Atari, NES, and Playstation all seemed to have bigger followings than the 16-bit systems... at least, in my opinion)

--Zero

Im not sure if this is considered Retro but it sure is one nice gaming system to collect for if you can afford it.... Right now I have around 60 games in my collection.

The Neo Geo :lust:

I'd say the replay value is at least 9/10....graffx 10/10...... depending on which games you play. Ever since I got my Neo Geo Arcade Cabinet I can stop playing it....

This is my new toy..."The Sigma 6000" Its very cool.... S-Video/RGB/RCA Stereo and Video Out.... built in Arcade Style Joystick Ports.... This one came with a very nice 8 button Joystick.

You can use most Jamma Boards with this Supergun.... I have played Mortal Combat II and Street Fighter with this one and a few other Jamma Boards, I mainly play the Neo Geo Arcade Games with it though.

;)

post-1228-1032925116_thumb.jpg

The Neo Geo is not very expensive if you first Bite The Bullet and get yourself a Dedicated Neo Geo Arcade ......

I sold my Neo Geo Home System and buy only the Neo Geo MVS games... they can be bought anywhere from 15-350 and up for some of the newer titles.

Just like anyother new games....if you wait the price will fall down. You can buy a US Kizuna Encounter "Super Tag Battle" for the Neo Geo Arcade for 49.00 off of Ebay anyday of the week. Supposedly there are only 2 known US copies of that game released for the US.

There were many titles that were released only in Japan... the market was never high enough in the States for SNK to release much for the US Home System.

I should be getting a 6 Slot Neo Geo Motherboard for my cabinet hopefully today...can hardly wait to plug it in... it comes with 6 more games I dont have...

I've added another screen shot of another one of my fav's Super Dodgeball....for the Neo Geo

:jango:

post-1228-1032975840_thumb.jpg

post-1228-1032975841_thumb.jpg

I think the next big one (or one of them anyway) would be the Pc-Engine, I think it's called the Turbo graffix or something like that in the states.

The NES seems to be big here in AUS now, as well as atari, coleco, all the commons. The pc-engine is currently easy to track down as well as the Hu-cards or discs.

I love the NEO GEO which i think is a pretty good prediction, but i'd say only for the states and japan.

I don't think the TurboGrafx-16 was popular enough to illicit the same nostalgia as the Atari or Nintendo do... same goes for the NeoGeo really. Sure, there are some games for the NeoGeo that are total classics (Samurai Showdown for one), but lots of people probably just think of it as an arcade game that you can't really get. Besides, part of the fun of collecting old video games is that they're fairly inexpensive. I don't mind spending $15 and getting 3 to 5 games for it... I don't think I could bring myself to spend even $50 for Kizuna Encounter....

It's also worth pointing out that the NeoGeo and TG-16 aren't exactly the easiest things to find either. Neither of them sold terribly well in North America, so the chances of finding them in flea markets and garage sales is pretty slim (NeoGeo especially).

--Zero