Mitch

Who has a 7800 dev card?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who has a 7800 dev card?

• Yes, I own a 7800 Dev card!
    • I have the 2600 Dev card!
    • No, I do not have a Dev card.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So who has an official Atari dev card? The DP guide says that on 20-30 7800 dev cards were built. I wonder how many are now in collector's hands.

Post a pic if you can and what rev you have.

Here's a pic of my Rev1 7800 Dev card.

Mitch

Devcart.jpg

I have both and two 7800 proto dev-boards. :)

Rev 0 boards?

Mitch

They have all kinds of crazy 30 gauge hand wiring on the back, not sure where they are at the moment, otherwise I would post a pic. I've posted pics of the other two in the past.

Are people still using Atari ST's to connect up with these dev cards to do development?

--Selgus

Well, since no one has written a PC app the ST is your only choice. That is for using the offical Dev Card. If you are using emus/CC2 for dev then probably PC or maybe Linux/Mac.

Mitch

I used to have one - and it was stolen ( along with the 7800 ) - as that was the only 'boxed' console in the house when the breakin occurred - must have been a surprise when opened..

I guess I was lucky though , as my TV & Atari ST were left untouched ( surrounded by a maze of midi and serial cables :) )

Here's pics of my own home-made one. The switch is for "write enable" ;)

I never had one from Atari, at the time I believe they didn't even have them available. As a matter of fact, we never even got their "official" development environment for the ST, I built my own on an IBM-XT using the parallel port to the joysticks. Later, we got the ST environment, but never used it as my IBM-XT/AT version worked very well.

My supervisor/co-worker built a setup that would do it serially through one joystick line, I think he did it from a C64. No idea what he used for a Dev card, but I do believe I was the one who made one for him.

I wish I could find my EPROM images for the bios, as well as the stuff I had for the IBM side. Can't find the software anywhere in my disks.

post-7284-1239159592_thumb.jpg

post-7284-1239159604_thumb.jpg

Edited by krewat

I never had one from Atari, at the time I believe they didn't even have them available. As a matter of fact, we never even got their "official" development environment for the ST, I built my own on an IBM-XT using the parallel port to the joysticks. Later, we got the ST environment, but never used it as my IBM-XT/AT version worked very well.

My supervisor/co-worker built a setup that would do it serially through one joystick line, I think he did it from a C64. No idea what he used for a Dev card, but I do believe I was the one who made one for him.

I wish I could find my EPROM images for the bios, as well as the stuff I had for the IBM side. Can't find the software anywhere in my disks.

That one is way cooler than the official one :cool:

I'm amazed that Atari would launch a new console but didn't even bother to give you guys devcarts for it. Programmers actually had to waste their time building this stuff for themselves?

It's like they thought new software would just fall from the sky.

I don't mean to be overly critical of something I have no first-hand knowledge of, but it appears they completely ignored the needs of their programmers.

I'm amazed that Atari would launch a new console but didn't even bother to give you guys devcarts for it. Programmers actually had to waste their time building this stuff for themselves?

It's like they thought new software would just fall from the sky.

I don't mean to be overly critical of something I have no first-hand knowledge of, but it appears they completely ignored the needs of their programmers.

I'm not entirely sure of what the business arrangement was between Atari and Computer Magic Ltd. (the company I contracted for).

I started working for them circa September 1985, and first worked on something Atari related in (I think, going back into my sources for 7800 stuff I did) around July 1986.

The 7800 was released in June 1986.

It's possible that either Atari didn't have a whole lot of cards initially, OR Atari wanted too much money for the cards and development environment.