IGNORED

Where to next with the "core" system?

Atarifever

So I picked up an Xbox Arcade system last week as I posted elsewhere, and am very, very happy with the purchase. It is an almost perfect model for my needs (I am pretty sure I fit the target market). What has surprised me about it, though, is how much better than the original "core" it is. Wireless controller instead of wired, five download games, six demos, and a full retail game included, and 256MB of internal memory is much better than the original core with wired controllers, no games, and no storage.

My only complaint is one directed to their marketing. I think upgrading the "core" system should be made much easier/ cheaper. For example, apparently for awhile there was a promotion where for $20 one could get a 20GB harddrive for Arcade or Core systems. That is over. Now, I don't require that the deal be quite that good, but I would have liked some coupons with the system, making upgrading somewhat cheaper. Say some money off of a harddrive, or even money off when buying high def cables and a harddrive. They seem to be missing the boat here a little, in that they should WANT upgrading to occur. If I buy a Harddrive, doesn't that mean I will likely download more games, movies, demos, etc? If I want HD, doesn't it imply I am taking this machine seriously in my living room? Doesn't it also mean I may use netflicks? I can see no reason the company would not like to help subsadize something that will only lead to me spending more money on them. The thing is, the "core" configuration is supposed to serve as both the set up for the casual gamer, and as an entry level system for people trying the Xbox experience out. Not making upgrading easier takes away from the second purpose a little.

Anyone think by Christmas the next version of the "core" will include more? I'm thinking with six full games included, and five demos, they don't need to pack in any more games. So I am thinking the next version might include a gold membership (very brief, like say, a month, or even a couple weeks) and probably a AAA title, like Halo 3, to replace Superstar Tennis.

(Sidenote: As predicted by others, I am contemplating a HDTV already).

I wouldn't sweat the upgrades. The > $5 HDMI cables work and look just as good as the $49.99 monster cables.

Here's some:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6FT-Compa...8170&sr=8-3

And as some people have stated in the other thread. The 20 Gig HD can be had for around $20-$40 now used.

I know the promotional offer you are talking about, I think that was just a way for them to get people to buy 360's at Xmas and get rid of the 20 GB drives to make way for the 60 and 120 GB drives.

As far as what they will do next Xmas. Hard to say. I'm sure they will offer something. Seems like there's been so many SKUs this generation already, whats a half dozen more.

As far as what they will do next Xmas. Hard to say. I'm sure they will offer something. Seems like there's been so many SKUs this generation already, whats a half dozen more.

I thought I hated the different SKUs, but I am now a big fan. So long as "plays the retail games, and allows for downloading the others somehow" is part of any console's base SKU, I'll be all over any core that hits the $199 sweet spot. In retrospect, all consoles I ever bought were "core" systems. From my "no Tetris or link cable" Gameboy, to my $139, one controller, no game Gamecube, I'm not one to over invest early on.

I thought I hated the different SKUs, but I am now a big fan.

I hate em, you know why? Because every new one I see I WANT!!!! :lol:

J/K I agree, it's nice when consumers have a choice. Choice is a good thing.

Yeah, I'm tempted to get one of the black ones. :)

Different SKUs wouldn't have worked for the Wii launch though. A Wii without Wii Sports is not a system that would have taken off as well. Outside of that though, I have always preferred the barebones system option.

Edited by Atarifever

I only had one complaint about the multi SKU X-boxes, they should have ALL had a HDD, just small ones for cheap systems and bigger ones for more expensive systems. Because Microsoft didn't go that rout, we lost some neat features the Original X-box had, such as Hdd Streaming (lots of games did it, though the 360's fast enough that similar games are now almost unnoticeable, but still, all games should have had it)

Beyond that, :lol: Hey, The core X-box now gives you more than the Wii does (for $50 more) Well....minus backwards compatibility, but apparently I'm the only one on the plannet that that actually mattered to.

Beyond that, :lol: Hey, The core X-box now gives you more than the Wii does (for $50 more) Well....minus backwards compatibility, but apparently I'm the only one on the plannet that that actually mattered to.

That and Wi Fi out of the box, which actually kinda a big deal for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to point out that one of the "minuses" I listed on here when I bought the Arcade 360 was that they didn't do enough to make upgrading affordable. I think I may have judged that a little prematurely. I checked it out today, and a 60GB HDD was $110 Canadian, and came with some pre loaded demos, an ethernet cable, an Xbox Live headset, and a 3 month gold subscription. Truthfully, that's not bad. That means I basically get a 360 Arcade and get it upgraded to a Pro for $309 total, while buying a Pro in the first place would be $299. Well, actually, I don't get the HD cable the Pro comes with, but in exchange I get a 3 month Gold membership, which isn't a bad trade. That's basically exactly what I wanted as an upgrade option, so I have nothing to complain about afterall, and have basically just completed making my Christmas wish list. :)

Edited by Atarifever

Glad to see you're enjoying the new 360. I love the new Arcade models (new Jaspers). Got mine as a replacement on Black Friday and swapped my HDD over. So much quieter... :)

Not sure if I read your last post right, but if you didn't actually purchase the upgrade at the store, and if you're not object to it, there's always eBay. You can get people's old 20 and 60 GB drives for a good bit cheaper. The 20's especially are fairly cheap and it's more than enough storage space to last you a while.

Edited by 16-bit

Glad to see you're enjoying the new 360. I love the new Arcade models (new Jaspers). Got mine as a replacement on Black Friday and swapped my HDD over. So much quieter... :)

I'm very happy I bought this. I haven't been this happy with a new system since the Genesis.

Not sure if I read your last post right, but if you didn't actually purchase the upgrade at the store, and if you're not object to it, there's always eBay. You can get people's old 20 and 60 GB drives for a good bit cheaper. The 20's especially are fairly cheap and it's more than enough storage space to last you a while.

Nah, I don't ebay. I will be looking for a used HDD though. I'm going into the city this weekend, so I'm hoping to find a used one either at a pawn shop or at one of the stores that carries used games. Still, it'd have to be a good price, considering I'd still need to buy a headset, ethernet cord (not expensive to begin with, but still not free), and an Xbox Live membership. I thought the 3 month membership was pretty good, as it would let me try out Live without having to pay for a full year. Still, if I found a cheap 20 Gig, I'd probably pick it up.

Edited by Atarifever

I'm very happy I bought this. I haven't been this happy with a new system since the Genesis.

Funny, because I've had pretty much the same experience...The 360 is the most enjoyable system I've owned since the SNES. I really liked the PS1, but not as much as my SNES, and the last generation...sorta meh. The 360 (reliability aside) has been great.

Funny, because I've had pretty much the same experience...The 360 is the most enjoyable system I've owned since the SNES. I really liked the PS1, but not as much as my SNES, and the last generation...sorta meh. The 360 (reliability aside) has been great.

I really liked/like the PS2 but the 360 seem's to be the system of choice for this generation. The only thing is all the reliability issues for me. There is something disconcerting about buying a console you know is not gonna last. I know everything Microsoft makes is always plagued with problems when it is first released, but you would think by now they could of designed a reliable Xbox 360, unless this is part of some evil plan.

I only just picked up on this as a newcomer to the 360 scene, but is my Arcade unit a Jasper by definition? It has the internal storage, which I keep seeing listed online as a sign it is a Jasper, and it had Sega Superstar Tennis with it, so I believe that makes it the 2008 Holiday bundle or something?

So would that mean that by buying the cheaper system, I got the superior product guaranteed (over someone with say, an older "Pro"), AND better games? That'd be pretty funny.

I only just picked up on this as a newcomer to the 360 scene, but is my Arcade unit a Jasper by definition?

One way to tell is to check out the amperage of the unit. Jasper will say 12.1A.

Just look on the back of the unit a little to the left and down from the serial number on the back.

EDIT : Here is a picture taken from a Ben Heck article

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-...ythical-consol/

post-544-1240338938_thumb.jpg

Edited by moycon

I only just picked up on this as a newcomer to the 360 scene, but is my Arcade unit a Jasper by definition?

One way to tell is to check out the amperage of the unit. Jasper will say 12.1A.

Just look on the back of the unit a little to the left and down from the serial number on the back.

EDIT : Here is a picture taken from a Ben Heck article

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-...ythical-consol/

Thanks. If it is a Jasper, has the superiority of that version been proven out in any way, or is it still all just belief so far that the Saviour has arrived?