IGNORED

Raiden-The Hardest Game on the Lynx

bergbros

I have been "playing" Raiden on my Lynx. Actually it is more like getting my ass kicked in a few minutes. The best I did so far is getting to the second boss screen after two continues. The graphics are awesome and faithful to the arcade, however, the game is so stacked against you its ridiculous. They throw so many baddies at you in a very limited screen that it is imossible to avoid them and the stream of bullets they thro against you. AND your fighter moves so slow. I play this game the "normal" way, by holding the Lynx the regular way. I can't control the game by holding it vertical. I also use my bombs ANY time a big plane that holds a power up comes by. They are the worst and you absolutely need a power up to get far in the game. Any other hints?

Oh great...Now I am addicted to this friggin hard game. I have now gotten past the third level boss with two continues and now I reached the fourth level just beyond the space scene? How far have you guys reached? How many levels are there in Raiden? I really like the graphics in this game and the fact that the game is hard sucks me in. It has become an ego thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got the farthest I ever got on this game, however, there was a wierd glitch that got me there. I got to the third boss with a full powered laser and three homing missles, which is absolutely the weapons you need to take on the bosses. THe boss looks like a battleship. Any way, I waste the boss in a few seconds without using a bomb. Didn't lose a single Raiden in doing so. The next level had NO ENEMIES whatsoever. I was flying over a blank landscape and space scene with no enemies in sight. I did not see the boss ship, but I got a end level and bonus. BTW, what is the fourth level boss? I found out that Raiden only has four levels as the game goes back to the first level again, The glitch still was working as I was flying over the first level with no enemies. Picked up an end level and bonus. I started getting the enemies again at the second (fifth) level, but with my souped up laser and missles I was doing great. However, I was starting to get bugs all over the place. THe landcape was getting weird bugs. The third (seventh) level, the game went black. Dead. So, in all, I racked up 110,000 points but I have to put an asterik there. Any body have a similar story? Has anyone seen the fourth boss? What are you hints? Here are a few of mine:

1. Get homing missles not regular missles. Homing missiles enable you to shoot enemies not in front of you, which I think is a must when things get thick.

2. When you get the poweruped weapons, juke left and right (up and down if you are playing w/ the Lynx vertical), You got to get them before they get shots off. You also spray the screen with so that you can get baddies before they shoot you.

3. Use your bombs liberally and stay within the blast zone. You can use the bomb as a shield by flying in the radius. I tend to use them with bosses and that hover craft with the powerups when I don't have powered up weapons or missles. I also use them when I see two big planes coming at you.

4. In general keep moving. They tend to fire on your position, so that if you keep moving around, you don't give them the opportunity to pin you down.

5. I hold the Lynx the normal way. That is the Lynx horizontally. I find I can control the game better.

6. Try to have the powered up laser when facing the bosses. The laser is absolutely awesome when facing a boss. They cut them down so fast an before they start peppering you with bullets. Look at the first level bosses, the guns on the railroad tracks. You can destroy the first one before you even get to see the second one. I also tend to stay at the far left side of the screen. This is so that I have time to dodge bullets. You never get hit from behind during boss screens.

7. Learn the firing tendencis of the mid sized enemies, like the bomber and hover craft. The bomber fires from the tips of the wings. THe hover craft with the power ups shoot in three directions in set directions. You can fly between the streams of bullets. Still, power ups are really the only way to get anywhere in this game.

I finally got through the fourth screen w/o expereiencing the glitch. The final boss is actually two rolling things that look and fire like the first level bosses. All they do is move back and forth firing in set directions. Pretty easy to kill. The bosses in Raiden are disappointing. Getting to them is a bitch but once you do, they are not too tough. THe hardest is the third level as there just is not enough room between you and the boss to dodge the stream of bullets. The second boss is the second toughest but still if you stay to the far ends while it is shhoting at you, you should be ok. With the max powered laser, it makes short work of all of these bosses. If you got max lasers and homing missles, you are one powerful stud. Highest score: 125,000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Graphically Superb, this is a Title not to be missed if you own a Lynx indeed ... I have played this game now only a Handful of Times since purchasing it retail from Songbird Productions and so far I have Chosen though reading the Above I want to Clock the Game with the 4 Lifes Given ( No Continues ) Best So Far is Being Killed in the 3rd Level, after the score you will read in a Minute, though a Don't have the Score at time of Death Due to pressing yes instead of no to Continue - Clearing the Score : Ok as follows : Stage One Clear with all 4 Lifes and not Dying even once, my score was 30160 and I had 1x Triangle & 8x Bombs, I got an extra 8000 points bringing the Total to 38160 at the Start of Level Two !

Wow huh ... I never missed a Beat and destroyed all enemys and recieved all the level Power Ups One after another, it was such a Rush !!

I will play some more and Post Some More High Scores, for you to Compete in High Scores, you must have an End Level Score that is

higher than Level One Above for Starters, Keep in Mind that only 1 Ship was used for my Current end level score of 38160 with Bonus ! I also never Continued as Score goes back to Zero, I look Forward to seeing everyone elses High Scores in Raiden !

My TOP 5 Fave Games are : Raiden, Ponx, Rygar, Double Dragon & California Games, though I have 43 Mint Boxed Titles at Present looking to add all the Time ..,

Lynx Up, ataimaster1

P.S. Evidently I play Raiden with the Screen Flipped, so my Left hand guides my Ship with the Directional Pad up Top and my Right hand shoots on the Far right button on Bottom playing the Game this way gives you correct control over the Ship in Tight spots with Plenty of enemy fire around, I recommend all Lynx Owners should buy copies of Raiden and enjoy this Title Imencly, infact buy 2 as it's 2 Players ....awesome

And Remember to Play with the Screen Flipped if your Right Handed, as normally is likely for left Handers ....ha, Nah Really - It was Designed this way so the Lynx Looked and Faced the " Right Way " and infact plays Crap this way, everyone who adds to this please Let us know how you play - Normal or Flipped ?

I have to revise my choice for hardest game. Raiden is hard but not so impossible that you can't get it through it. I think Robotron is very hard because of the control scheme. You really need a second joystick for the firing. Zarlor Mercenary is really tough in one player as well.

I have never played Raiden :( Zarlor Mercenary is a tough game, I agree. But I don´t think Robotron 2084 is very hard. When you get use to the control it´s a very easy game. There is five skill levels and you get extra lifes all the time! With every 25 000 you earn. But since there is no end to this game of course you can call it difficult in a way. After wave 99 it will start over on (a harder and different looking) wave 1 again.

Best thing about Robotron 2084: THE MUSIC!!! :music: :music: :music:

What control scheme do you use in RObotron? I use method C, the one where it is firing all the time and you have to press A and B to rotate the fire. I tell you, it is really disatisfying because you need to fire where you want, when you want and none of the control schemes have it. Not a neay game at all with this control scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

I also use method C and I think it works perfect when you get used to it. Still don´t understand why you don´t like the automatic fire. I think it is good not have to think about that. It lets you focus on your footwork instead. The same waves is coming back over and over again as you progress in to the game. You just have to remember how to play each wave the best way. And if you need to fire "where you want" you can always use method C together with Option1. Press it off and then press it on when you what to fire :P

Maybe someone else has an opinion about this game and the control schemes?