IGNORED

How to glue back an atari topcase label

Marius

Hi!

A few days ago I bought a brand new-in-the-box 130XE. I love the machine very much; it even smells brandnew. That smell is better than a new car!

But one problem. The label "Atari 130XE" is releasing for about 60% and since I tried to fix this on another atari in the past (which failed) now I want to know what is the best way to do it?

Is there some double sided adhesive tape to do this? Or another way? It must be very thin tape in that case.

I also have a few 800XL's and a 1050 with this problem. Using glue in a bottle (don't know how to translate that in english... let's say glue to build hobby things) was the reason for my failure in the past. It resulted in a crap and I had to release the label forever.

Another problem is: do I have to release the label for 100% to do this fix? It is very hard to release it. Before you know it, it wrinkles, and then it is lost.

I hope someone has a hint.

Greetz

M.

Are you talking about the metal badge that says "Atari 130XE"? If it fell off completely, than it would be an easy matter to simply coat the backside with some double-sided tape, and stick it back. But if it's still adhered, you don't want to pull it up too much, lest you bend it. Getting glue underneath it would be tricky.

I would suggest rubber cement. It's strong enough to hold this sort of thing, and you can just try to get whatever you can under the label with the applicator brush, and press it down - then simply rub off the excess once it's dried.

-Ian

One thing I would try in your situation to finish removing the label is dental floss. Place your left and right index fingers along the top and bottom of the label with floss pulled tight between them and slow pull the dental floss under the label using a back and forth motion. This is a trick used to remove emblems from cars. Then I would use this Scotch tape to reattach the emblem. Just be careful when trimming the excess tape from the edges.

I absolutely would not recommend 2-sided tape.

It's great when restoring automobile trim, etc. However, the kind that really works is thick stuff - too thick for this.

The really thin stuff, I have no experience with. However, I am skeptical. Anything that is akin to "scotch tape" is going to be as temporary as actual scotch tape is.

I am thinking that contact cement is very likely a good choice.

I have a new-in-the-box 130XE and it's fine. My other 130XE (that I use sometimes) has the emblem lifting up in the middle. Both ends are still attached, but the "Atari.......130XE" label is lifting slightly in the middle.

I was thiking of sucking up some contact cement with a diabetic syringe (have to find one) and injecting it under the lifting part.

I had not thougth of the dental floss to try to remove the label completely beforehand; that may work as well. Any thoughts??

I'd aggree that the scotch tape variant is probably not the best most permanent one to use.

But thickness has nothing to do with the issue. It's all a matter of the quality of adhesive being used.

The roll of scotch tape you can pick up at the local discount store is hardly the same as the 3M automotive grade trim tapes from an automotive parts store. I've used thin & narrow (1/16" wide) pinstripping tape inside the car, and it's held up for years.

So to that end, I'd suggest going to DicountAuto or something and look for a roll of thin, but wide, automotive trim/pinstriping tape. It will even have a backer strip so you're not touching both sides.

I've done several re-attachments of labels to carts and consoles, always used Rubber Cement.

I'd suggest removing the label completely, then applying rubber cement (per those darn instructions on the bottle no one ever seems to read for permanent adhesion) to the unit, and to the label. Let them both dry for a bit, then re-attach and rub off the excess cement. Presto-Change-o!