IGNORED

7800 101?

I was wondering if there ever was gonna be an 7800 101 tutorial like the 2600 one. I really enjoyed the tutorial and learned alot about the 2600's architecture by reading the tutorial. I even managed to start development on my first game, which i'm trying to release on my birthday. I think if a 7800 101 tutorial was made, there would be more people developing for it. For me learning what each register does by looking at source is harder then reading a tutorial that explains it all. Cheers and hope this can come to fruit one day.

Sincerely,

6502Pong

Although you may want a tutorial, you don't need a tutorial. There is a huge amount of information in this forum alone, with links to other information sources. It may not be structured or provide the same level of hand holding as a tutorial, but this means you will have to think more thus improving your ability to learn the subject instead of simply parrotting by rote.

Now, if you decide to document your own learning process as a "7800 101", I'm sure that others will find the information valuable. And if you have specific questions, or need clarification, then there are many here who can assist.

A few years ago I tried to get a 7800 mailing list up & running. It still exists (although rarely gets used). But at that time I put together a list of 7800 related links: http://www.freelists.org/webpage/atari7800

• 3 weeks later...

I have posted up a tremendous amount of original 7800 source code material, in fact Pacmanplus used the Ms Pac Man source code and Asteroids source code and has created a slew of new release titles for the 7800 like Pac Man, Pac Man Plus, Super Pacman, Jr Pac Man, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel and I know he is working on two other titles right now.

Curt

That helped a bit, bit having source code to refer to and an explaination for what everything does would be nice. I still think we need a 7800 101 tutorial.

Sincerely,

6502Pong