IGNORED

360 on a 13 inch, Standard TV

Atarifever

Yeah, I know it doesn't work properly, but it's still there (stupid dead sillowette avitar, can't stand the f*#$ker)

Or was that what you meant, to save the avitar and whatever else it lets you do?

Here's an interesting question, how many of you have Joe bob happy ass as their avitar, cause they don't give to shits about it and just slammed the "next" button every time it asked to set something up?

And what pisses me off more, is that you now have a system that is NOT compatible with non NEX consoles, as it will insist even those set up the avitar (but how you get it when you don't have live, or a game that has it?) so our once glorious setup for playing 16 player deathmatches has been rendered to only 4 players (or I guess 16, but you don't get your own TV that way, so you have to do teams)

Edited by Video

Yeah, I know it doesn't work properly, but it's still there (stupid dead sillowette avitar, can't stand the f*#$ker)

Or was that what you meant, to save the avitar and whatever else it lets you do?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. And I think that's a fair way to look at it. What good is something if it doesn't work properly. When none of the exclusive features of NXE works without the extra memory, it raises the questions of why they even allowed it to work on only 64meg at all and why should one even bother having NXE if they don't have the extra memory (ignoring that MS is forcing everyone to have it just to beable to play new games at all).

Here's an interesting question, how many of you have Joe bob happy ass as their avitar, cause they don't give to shits about it and just slammed the "next" button every time it asked to set something up?
It's not just for saving avitar data. But yeah, I understand your point. If I had NXE, I wouldn't use the avitars, netflix, copy to HDD. All I want/need is what I already have with the old dash. So yeah, technicaly, everyone who feels the same can run NXE on 64meg. It's still functionaly crippled tho so you can forget about playing with it just to play with, or learning to love it and wanting it till you invest in more memory in some form or another. I resent that on sheer principle alone. ;)

And what pisses me off more, is that you now have a system that is NOT compatible with non NEX consoles

Whoa, is that so. Yet "another" reason to hate NXE. :cool:

but how you get it when you don't have live, or a game that has it?
You download it from Microsoft's Xbox site and burn it to disc or USB drive.

Here's another question I want to know that it's hard to get an answer for: Will NXE install if I remove the R6T3 resistor and disable the efuses? I seem to recall some babble about newer dashes checking for efuse functionality. Even tho I don't have the hardware needed to downgrade right now, if I can atleast leave that door open for the future, I might bite the bullet and upgrade. :ponder:

I dont like NXE, but it's really not all that serious. You accept a default avatar (mine was a black lady for a long time), and you're off. I don't know about you guys but I dont spend my time on the dashboard. I'm mostly viewing games instead.

And besides, pretty much everyone I know doesn't even look at NXE anymore. You simply hit the middle button to bring up the "blades" menu, and that pretty much has everything you need to launch stuff.

I dont like NXE, but it's really not all that serious. You accept a default avatar (mine was a black lady for a long time), and you're off. I don't know about you guys but I dont spend my time on the dashboard. I'm mostly viewing games instead.

And besides, pretty much everyone I know doesn't even look at NXE anymore. You simply hit the middle button to bring up the "blades" menu, and that pretty much has everything you need to launch stuff.

NXE's "blades" menu is nothing like the old dash, nor is it set up the same way.

I know I use my dash. I use the System and Game blades often. To that end, isn't the Games menu on NXE even slower. Not to mention NXE just looks crappy, even crappier when you use it's pseudo blades mode. Either way, it's my console, and I don't want it "ruined" because some people at Microsoft are asshats and think I "want" this and try to force it on my in everyway they can.

Even if it's not that bad is irrelevent to the entire fundamental issue. Would people be defending this kind of act if it was on Windows? Install some update and in the process, it forceably changes your interface and themes to something different, and doesn't let you restore your old settings. Yeah, this update adds blu-ray compatabilty (Oh, and makes your windows look like OS/X). People would be bitching up a storm if they pulled that crap. They have no right to pull this crap on the 360 either for the same reasons.

If I can revert, hey, no problem, I'll play with it and try to force myself to like it, then revert back when the puke starts rising in the back of my throat. But as a permenent, once it's done it's forever upgrade, no. MS can go f--k right off.

There was/is no need for it. It's just about a few dim bulbs at Microsoft playing "lets be like the Wii". :x (All it needs now is a joyboard and huge library of colorful kiddy games that give people the gay and the metamorphosis will be complete. :P )

NXE's "blades" menu is nothing like the old dash, nor is it set up the same way.

No one said it was. :P

But yeah, at the end of the day it is what it is, it's just the front end of the console and to me it's pretty irrelevant. :lol: Just like I changed the dashboard of my Xboxes often (which ironically is currently set to look like the old 360 style), so it is with this. It's just the useless front-end which I'm trying to speed through. I go in, I launch my disc, or I launch my xblive title. That's about it :)

One thiing that really gets me with NXE, is the old blades setup was hailed (by microsoft) as a new cool, perhaps even "revolutionary" thing, so they dump it, for the obviously kiddy wii inspired gay NXE thing. But even more than that, the old blade had different blades that did different things, one for Xbox live, one for downloads, one for games, one for system data, and one for somethiing else. Now, with the NXE, everything has been dumped into one slot, and the other five or so are dedicated towards various "live" features (which I will never use anyways so...) It's just trying to push live crap on you.

I can kind of see where microsoft is comeing from with wanting more mention of live, but seriously, people that want it are already useing it, and people who don't still wont, so...

Besides, like Artlover said, it's not so much the stupid dash or gay avitar, as it is, the REQUIREMENT that you take this upgrade that works differently from what original users are used to. I, and I'm suree most people that do care, wouldn't havve, if they had had a choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it finally happened, I upgraded to NXE and I'm an unhappy camper.

I really didn't want to, I've been avoiding it like the plague for months now. But I just got f'in sick & tired of seeing all these new games and DLC that I was interested in. So here I sit with this crap, downloading Broken Steel.

Yes, it IS slower. Sometimes A LOT slower. Even trying to browse the DLC on XBL is slow.

Not very well organized.

Avatar's. :roll: Not that I care about them, but I wish there were more options for configuring them. Maybe I would sorta maybe care about them then. As it stands, options are way too limited to allow me to create the "Mii" I want.

<Sigh>

Broken Steel had better be worth this!

Well it finally happened, I upgraded to NXE and I'm an unhappy camper.

I'm wondering if a person was to buy a new 20 GB drive off eBay for like $20 if when installed the NXE wouldn't be on it yet.

I would seriously consider doing this on days I wasn't planning on playing online if only to reminisce when the dash wasn't so crappy.

I'm wondering if a person was to buy a new 20 GB drive off eBay for like $20 if when installed the NXE wouldn't be on it yet.

I would seriously consider doing this on days I wasn't planning on playing online if only to reminisce when the dash wasn't so crappy.

Wouldn't make a difference. NXE is stored in two places. The core of it is stored on the 360's internal flash bios, it's only the extras that are stored in external memory like mem cards or the HDD.

If you got it, you got it, and you're stuck with it.

Wouldn't make a difference. NXE is stored in two places. The core of it is stored on the 360's internal flash bios, it's only the extras that are stored in external memory like mem cards or the HDD.

If you got it, you got it, and you're stuck with it.

Yep, it's pretty terrible. Know who it's especially terrible for? People like me who don't go online and would rather just have that interneal storage still available. Hooray, I can make a fake version of myself that only I will ever see. That's so much better than extra storage and more intuitive menus. The current menus look a lot like Wii menus. Those are GREAT on the the Wii. Reason being that the Wii has a device you use to point at the frigging channels! If you're just using a stick or d-pad to navigate a menu, a menu driven interface makes a lot more fucking sense. Microsoft really has "core" gamers as their base. So I don't understand forcing this cutesy garbage on people instead of making it an option. Heck, it could be the default option, with the old system as one you have to actually work to install, but in the end, it should still be an option. Everyone I know with a 360 would prefer the blades. I'm sure there are lots of casual gamers who would be happy to have Miis on their 360. Good for them. Me, I like the Miis on the Wii, and the blades on my 360.

Edited by Atarifever

Yep, it's pretty terrible. Know who it's especially terrible for? People like me who don't go online

I don't understand.. why don't you go online? Are you just not interested in the multiple games available there? R-Type? Robotron? Scramble? Caslte Crashers? Galaga? Duke Nukem 3D? Banjo Kazooie? Mega Man 9? Space Invaders Extreme? I mean.. the list goes on and on :P

Unless of course you're just the type who only wants the full blown $60 disc games.

p.s.. No one cares about Miis. I don't think anyone notices they're there anymore. It's not all that serious.

Edited by NE146

Yep, it's pretty terrible. Know who it's especially terrible for? People like me who don't go online

I don't understand.. why don't you go online? Are you just not interested in the multiple games available there? R-Type? Robotron? Scramble? Caslte Crashers? Galaga? Duke Nukem 3D? Banjo Kazooie? Mega Man 9? Space Invaders Extreme? I mean.. the list goes on and on :P

Unless of course you're just the type who only wants the full blown $60 disc games.

It's not that I won't go online. It's that I can't as of yet. Thus, I don't. I go online on the Wii all the time. I have two screens of downloads on the Wii (Megaman 9 among them), and have taken a bunch of games online, either for leaderboards or multiplayer. But there all I had to do was buy a USB dongle for $20. With the 360 I need to buy something to give myself general Wi-fi, then buy the Wi-fi adaptor for the 360. I'm certainly not running wires through my house like some kind of caveman. So in the meantime, until I can get a used USB adaptor for both the computer and the 360, I have to stay offline with the 360.

Edited by Atarifever

I'd imagine it'd take 1 single 50' or so ethernet cable from your 360 snaked across rooms to your router. Personally though if it was me, I'd snake that cable, and then just roll it up when done. It'd be worth it. :lol:

But yeah.. point taken.

of course you can enjoy any game with a shitty tv but its so much better with a nice one-especially something like the 360. I refuse to give up my 60 inch 1080p tv with HDMI for my 360! Before I got my wifi adaptor (100 bucks!!!) for my 360 elite I drug my 360 to the computer office and hooked it up to download things etc it sucked. I buckled down and got the adaptor

Edited by otaku

Well, I've been using this crap for 10 days now.

About the best thing I can say a about it is that it's not THAT horrible looking. It's bad, but not gouge your own eyes out bad. That and the download queue was expanded. That's the extent of the good things.

Lets talk about the bad.

Interface. They need to pick a style and stick with it. When you start playing around with things like exploring and trying to download demos or DLC, you discover that the new dash has 3 different styles of menus, not including the pesudo blades one, some of which (like the download confirmation) are the same as from the original blades dash, flip/flopping around back and fourth depending on how deep in submenus you are. If you want me to like the dash, atleast consistantly use the f'in thing. Don't go mixing it up and dot go reusing some of the old menus from the original.

Game installs to HDD. It sucks. First let me qualify this by saying I don't give a crap about DVD noise or wear. For me it's about convienence and speed, and it fails on both. --- First convienence - I don't want to have to get up. If I have to get up to change the bloody disc anyways, I might as well just play it off the disc to begin with. And I don't want to hear any it's about anti-piracy BS about it either, as the feature works with copies & backups anyways. The nitch is too damned small to justify the inconvience to consumers. --- Second speed. I've tried several games and did not notice any signifigant change, nothing that made the copy time and used HDD space worth it. As a matter of fact, in many cases, it caused various aspects to be slower. In Fallout 3 for example, playing from the HDD made accessing the game saves much MUCH slower, and in my cases with over 500 saves across 3 profiles, it was talking over 3 seconds to flip between each one where as it was less then half a second off DVD.

They seemed to have removed features. At the very least the automaticly download new XBMA trial games. Which is something I used to use.

Speed. Did anyone at MS actually use NXE online before releasing it. I've read the complaints about it Games menu being slow, but holy crap, is it SLOW. I've got 100's of XBLA trial games and Community demos installed, so maybe that is a factor, but it can take well over a minute just for the Games menu to load if I'm on-line. If I'm off-line it takes maybe about half that, but still agonizingly slow. - Another very slow aspect is the Game Market Place. Every freaking thing you select wants to load custom backgrounds and screenshots and this and that and the other thing. The Featured Downloads window always takes atleast 8-10 seconds alone. And it's not my connection speed because downloads are fast. Even if you know exactly what you want, you're still going to be fighting BS wait times to get it. It's absolutly ridiculous to the point of where you just want to give up out of fustration. This is NXE's biggest deal breaker. The slowness makes it's unpleasent and tedious to use, which is not what an interface should be.

Terrible, absolutely terrible. :x