IGNORED

Lynx lifespan?

Xot

Has anyone had a Lynx just up and die? I've had a Game Gear and Game.Com just go dead on me, and I'm wondering if they Lynx is more durable. I take good care of it, and I love the system. I'm thinking of trying to get the entire released library of games, should I pick up a couple of spare systems too?

Does anyone already have the entire released library??

Has anyone had a Lynx just up and die? I've had a Game Gear and Game.Com just go dead on me, and I'm wondering if they Lynx is more durable. I take good care of it, and I love the system. I'm thinking of trying to get the entire released library of games, should I pick up a couple of spare systems too?

Does anyone already have the entire released library??

I haven't had a Lynx "just go dead", but I have contributed to the death of a few (using proto cartridges with square edges). Why not get one or two extra units just so you can ComLynx with a friend or two?

As far as collecting, I have most of the released games (missing only some rare Songbird titles) and a lot of the unreleased ones. And just for the fun of it, I moved all the Atari titles onto the original flat cartridges so they stack nicely.

The AC adapter plug on my Lynx 1 broke, but that happened when I lent the unit to my sister&nephew for a while which was a very bad move, they can't take care of anything electronic (I've many examples). But considering that I bought my Lynx 1 used about 5 years ago and by the looks of it (paint chipping, etc.) I'd say it may be a very early model circa '89 or '90 and it works just fine in all other respects. I have had several games die on me though (again, dead when gotten back from my sister&nephew, so who knows what the hell they do with them)... :sad: :x

• 2 weeks later...
I killed a Lynx I screen once by accidentally plugging the ac adaptor into the headphone jack.

If only the damn thing wasn't black I woulnd't be trying to playin it in darkened conditions.

STUPID ENGINEERS

My wife keeps trying to plug the power plug into the headset as well. I made a rubber plug to go into the headset jack. That way she can not make the deadly mistake!

Hmmm...

More than once I've screwed up and plugged my Lynx II power supply into the earphone jack (unlike the 7800, the Lynx SHOULD have a non-standard end).

However, my Lynx still runs fine... perhaps this is only a problem with the original Lynx machines...???

Cheers!

Joey

Hmmm...

More than once I've screwed up and plugged my Lynx II power supply into the earphone jack (unlike the 7800, the Lynx SHOULD have a non-standard end).

However, my Lynx still runs fine... perhaps this is only a problem with the original Lynx machines...???

Cheers!

Joey

That's what I'm thinking because I've done the same thing myself.

I own a few Lynx I's and II's. She blew up a Lynx I and I've heard a few other people talk blowing up a Lynx I that way. The power jack and the headset jack are the same on both units. I never heard anyone killing a Lynx II that way but I don't see how it couldn't happen... I'm too paroniod about it. Thats why I made up a rubber plug anyways... I would rather be safe and playing my Lynx then take a chance of smoking one! 8)

It seems to be a common problem withthe ac adapter port coming loose and causing problem when using AC adapter or external battery pack.

Also my only Lynx is DOA, its internal light is out and I just never had the motivation to fix that or use alternative backlighting solution. I do need another Lynx though as my collection of 32 games are gathering dust and I've been itching to get back in STUN Runner and RoboSquash for a while now.

I've had a Game Gear and Game.Com just go dead on me

While I don't have a Lynx (but I really want one, mainly for that port of Double Dragon), I do have a Game Gear, and take extra special care of it. It doesn't show any bad signs, I'm just more cautious around it (unlike my GBA, which got fricken light scratches on the screen when I carried it and a game in my pocket. Durable my a*s.). Speaking of Game Gear, I need Double Dragon for it, too (only for novelty value, though. Trust me, you don't want to know).

I have had several games die on me though (again, dead when gotten back from my sister&nephew, so who knows what the hell they do with them)...  

Gunstar,

I know what you mean. I once let my cousin borrow a VHS of mine, which was fine, until he lost it (causing me to scream and yell a lot), then found it (under the couch), now complete with scratches and rough edges. That was the first and last time I let anything of mine be borrowed, video game or otherwise. If it was someone who I knew was responsible, I'd think about it, but otherwise NO.

• 4 months later...

I had a Game Gear go south on me, too. The sound gradually died until you couldn't hear anything out of the speaker (or, incidentally, headphones). It seems like that happens a lot.

I'm thinking of buying an extra Lynx just in case mine dies on me. I bought it second-hand, and whoever had it before kept good care of it. They seem pretty durable, but what do I know?

I don't have any scratches on my GBA yet, but I'd be very upset if I did since even a few specks of dust on the screen makes it hard to see.

I currently have 5 lynxes (2 model 1s & 3 model 2s), all were second hand, and haven't had any problems other than one of the model 2s refuses to go left on the d-pad. I was like that when I bought it and the guy told me before hand but it came w/ a couple of games I wanted so I got it anyway. I've had it apart and cleaned the contacts but it still doesn't work. Since I have 4 others I really haven't taken the time to investigate it further. I have one that I primarily use, and it get's fairly heavy use, and I've had not problems w/ it at all.

The gamegears seem to be known for sound problems. I see them available in auctions & online w/ no sound all the time.

Me and two other guys bought lynxes in 1991. it was the Lynx II. All three Lynxes broke within a year allthough we were all very carefull with our Lynxes. I allways thought that they brake very easily. I´ve got mine repaired three times..

What was the problem? Power supply connector?

They suddenly stopt working completely. In my Lynx it was probably just a fuse or something, since they could repair it in a local electronics store several times. But my two friends lynxes they were not able to repair. I recently bought my friends lynxes and telegames has repaired them for me, so now I´ve got a couple of extra lynxes.

If anyone is interested, I will be selling dead lynx's in lots of 4 on ebay for the next couple of months. I have quite a few to sell. They are totally dead and I'm not sure if they can be resurrected or not. But they are quite useful for parts harvesting. On more than one occasion, I have had to replace the A/C jack and comlynx jack as described above. They are just soldered to the board and if you jerk on the cables when plugged in, the solder joints loosen up or the jack dissintegrates. Most of the parts were custom made for the lynx and impossible to find unless you harvest them from another dead lynx. I will be keeping a few of these for myself to keep my four lynx's operational, but the rest will be sold on ebay. You never know when you might need a jack, battery cover, lens replacement, keypad or LCD backlight assembly.

I haven't had a Lynx "just go dead", but I have contributed to the death of a few (using proto cartridges with square edges).

Do proto cartridges harm the Lynx?

What do you mean with "square edges"?

The edges when you look on top of the cart [=]

or the edges on the front ??? -=-

Got 1 lynx II that won't steer to the left when playing Blue lighting. The jet animates to the left though, but the earth's surface will go straight on. Polygon based games don't look right anymore and are unplayable.. So i think a part of the GFX processor is busted. Luckely i got another full working lynx II. It must be about 10 years old by now and never had any problems with it.