IGNORED

Is a 360 worth it if you don't have high speed internet?

Hunter Trainer

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 360, but the thing is high speed internet is not available in my area. I don't care about not being able to play online or downloading movies, demos, etc. I am concerned about updates. Will there be any important updates for the system or games that I'll need? What about patches?

My dad lives about 20 miles away and he has cable internet, would it be possible for me to go to his house and download any updates to a flash drive and take them back to my house and install them on the 360?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 360, but the thing is high speed internet is not available in my area. I don't care about not being able to play online or downloading movies, demos, etc. I am concerned about updates. Will there be any important updates for the system or games that I'll need? What about patches?

My dad lives about 20 miles away and he has cable internet, would it be possible for me to go to his house and download any updates to a flash drive and take them back to my house and install them on the 360?

I think the dashboard update comes on games that are being released now. You can also use a flash drive, or any important updates that you absolutely must have can be downloaded and burned to a disk, or requested from MS.

For instance the Backward compatibility files:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm

You can find probably all you need to know here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...stemupdates.htm

Thanks for the help. It looks like I'm going to go shopping for a 360.

One more quick question: on the second link you provided, where it explains how to save updates to a flash drive, it says that the flash drive must use the "FAT32 file system". How do I know if a particular flash drive uses that? Does it say on the package or is it pretty standard?

Thanks again.

Can you also download demo games that way?

I don't think you can download the demo's to a flash drive, (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

There are magazines that come with demo disks though. I'd imagine they'd be cheap to snag off eBay.

I don't think you can download the demo's to a flash drive, (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

There are magazines that come with demo disks though. I'd imagine they'd be cheap to snag off eBay.

I just bought an issue of OXM for the first time, and it says the demo disc has new skins on it for the dashboard or something as well as the games and videos. The magazine is pretty great, so if the demo disc is any good, I'll probably subscribe, allowing my anachronistic gaming style to coexist with demos and updates. I'll have a look when I manage to get tired of the Orange Box for five minutes... so some time in 2012 maybe. :)

Thanks. Hopefully the 360 will work with my Internet connection if I still have one when I get an Xbox 360. There's no way I'm paying $150 a month just for an Internet connection.

I just bought an issue of OXM for the first time, and it says the demo disc has new skins on it for the dashboard or something as well as the games and videos. The magazine is pretty great, so if the demo disc is any good, I'll probably subscribe, allowing my anachronistic gaming style to coexist with demos and updates. I'll have a look when I manage to get tired of the Orange Box for five minutes... so some time in 2012 maybe. :)

Yea, OXM is a pretty good mag. I subscribe (for the kids ;) ) to it, but it's the disc-less edition. The disc occasionally offers things you can't download from XBLM. And if you have an IP that has bandwith caps, the demos are great.

Yea, OXM is a pretty good mag. I subscribe (for the kids ;) ) to it, but it's the disc-less edition. The disc occasionally offers things you can't download from XBLM. And if you have an IP that has bandwith caps, the demos are great.

I'm using the disc specifically because I am offline. I've got the Wii online, because that cost me next to nothing (USB dongle was very cheap) and required no changing of room layout, cords, computer placement, etc. The 360 won't be online for me probably ever. The Wi-fi thing is expensive, wires will not be run through my house anywhere they aren't already if I can help it, and I don't have wi-fi (except the Wii dongle) for anything else anyway. The 360 will only go online if I can get both a general wireless router and the Wi-fi connector used in the wild.

Of course, I say that now having said just a few months ago I thought I'd pass on the 360 altogether. I also said I wasn't having a HDTV anytime soon, and I'm bringing one home later today (although it may be the secondary TV for the 360, as I still like having the 360 in the bedroom). And I also said I didn't want a HDD for the 360, but if I see one used in the wild, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. So never go by what I say about my own plans.