IGNORED

atari 2600 frankenstein console

Lincoln

I picked this up off craiglist and posted about it over here, but I didn't get much for a definitive response. I was hoping someone that frequents this forum might have some more information.

backstory: I got this from a guy locally. He tells me this unit came from his uncle, who worked in R&D at an electronics company in Sunnyvale. He referred to it as a prototype.

9QAIT.jpg

9QBAL.jpg

9QCU5.jpg

observations: The mainboard looks pretty much like the few other 4-switch boards I've seen. the guts are mounted to a plastic semi-transparent shell. one controller port appears to be a standard Atari piece mounted in the standard way. The other is a generic piece which has been (somewhat sloppily) wired to the board. The 4 main switches are toggle style rather than the normal sliding switches. They all seem identical. Someone in the other thread mentioned these types of switches are/were common in things like stereo systems. All other switches seem to be standard Atari parts. It seems to function correctly from the limited testing I've done.

The guy was offering this, a heavy sixer, and a box of games and controllers for $20 ($10 after we realized there was no tv switchbox), so I think we can rule out using the prototype line to scam anyone.

So what does everyone think this is?

prototype

test mule, pre 4 switch commercial release

scavenged retail unit with missing pieces replaced as needed

other?

That is strange, it looks like a production board, but the switches are different. I don't think that it is a prototype though, that is pretty much the same as the 4 switch motherboards look like (as you pointed out), plus it is says 'rev. 12', and you can find that revision in 4 switch 2600 units. It is very strange how the right controller port is hand wired though.