IGNORED

Atari 5200 for $60?

STICH666

A *little* pricey, but not overwhelmingly so. You'd probably save $20 maybe a few bucks more via ebay but then spend that right back on shipping since it's such a big heavy beast.

I don't where someone would expect a working 5200 unit with 2 controllers to cost only $20 bucks. :roll: Working controllers often go for $20 alone on Ebay.

Like I was saying in the thread I started about the Play N Trades in my area. Overpriced can mean different things. Is $60 too much? Well if you demand you're going to hit the garage-sale/going out of business stupid-crazy closeout price at a place like that (like $20 bucks) then certainly $60 is overpriced, but you're just wasting your time even looking for that. Overpriced is more like going to a thrift store (you know where stuff is *SUPPOSED* to be cheap since it was donated to them for free!) and seeing that same 5200 for $125.00 with a pair of N64 controllers that the guy tells you he tested and work fine with the unit.

Do you have a 5200? If not I'd say snag that. Maybe offer him $50, or ask if he'll take some of your 2600 (or whatever classic system) dupes as trade. It's an awesome system and well worth having. Most of the best games are real cheap on both ebay and CTCW (and from members selling dupes on sites like AA and DP for that matter)

If you want it to sell or use for tradebait then don't spend the $$

I think $50 including shipping is what I paid in various venues for 5200's with controllers that were mostly-working.

I did get that one good deal for a boxed 5200, two controllers, four CIB games and one bare cartridge -- $65 including shipping.

Edited by Ransom

$60 including working controllers is not a bad deal if it is local. I would check to make sure that all buttons work on the controllers.

You would not believe the number of 5200 systems that I have bought online that have arrived damaged. Often the plastic cracks while being shipped. You are better off buying local if you can.

$60 including working controllers is not a bad deal if it is local. I would check to make sure that all buttons work on the controllers.

You would not believe the number of 5200 systems that I have bought online that have arrived damaged. Often the plastic cracks while being shipped. You are better off buying local if you can.

When I was in Oklahoma a few years ago, I bought a tested and working 5200 locally from GameXchange complete with hook ups and controllers for $29.95.

If the system is working and in good to excellent cosmetic shape, I don't think that is too much to pay. $50 would be better, but think of it this way: $60 means $15 for each controller and $30 for the system and power adaptor. If the controllers work, then they have been fixed (likely with the Rev 9 circuit).

Sure, you can get one cheaper if you are willing to be patient and spend some time looking through craig's list, garage sales, flea markets, and/or web deals. But I am of the opinion if you find what you want in good condition, and it is in a reasonable price range, then get it. You might find a better deal later, but you also might end up saving money on travel, shipping, or a system damaged via mail.

I've seen a crappy one e-bay, with certainly non-working controllers and a few commons (with high shipping charges) go for more. If the controllers are re-built/working and the system looks okay (no cracks, major blemishes or missing bits), I'd probably buy it. Yeah its not a garage sale or thrift store find but, you'll likely never see one of those nowadays.

I'd prefer a 2-port since you don't need to worry about the switch-box or a power mod if you do a video upgrade later.

It's high, but since it's local and you can see what you're getting, buy it. Plus you'd probably have a return policy. There's a good bet that one of the controllers will fail soon. If you don't want to deal with that, take it back and get your money back.

If it was $60 shipped, I'd say no, but being able to get it locally makes the deal here.

Someone just paid $250 for a 5200 with 20 common games, four controllers, and all the hookups from Vintage Stock. They refused top part the games out of drop the price, that's why I didn't buy it. I'd have offered them $120 tops, and that's 'cause of the 20 games.

No it's at Play-N-Trade and the controllers work.

If the controllers work *for sure* offer him $40 and settle for no more than $50 and he better have a game to test it out with or even better throw in for free.

My thoughts exactly pricewise :)

Working controllers are better than paying less for 'untested' AKA borked controllers on ebay for less surely?

Hey Stitch. I personally go no higher than $50. $60 a bit tough but close. At least get them down to $50 and you'll have at least a decent deal. Not a steal. I paid $45 for my boxed beauty.

wow no games if the owner cant find a cheap pac-man there is something wrong with him heck i got 3 pacmans and i didn't even try

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my 5200 for $50 with all the wires, the auto switch box, the gigantinourmous cardboard 5200 box, 2 controllers, and 5 boxed games with manuals & overlays, so if it comes with just the controllers and hookups you should aim for a much lower price than $60. Maybe $30-$40.