IGNORED

Atari Coldfire Project Reloaded

Will these end up being Falcon compatible or more of an souped up TT?

At the beginning the machine gets Hades compatibility-level. It will be seen by TOS as a normal TT, so every clean GEM-Application will work immediatly. In later stage of the project, it will also be possible to become full Falcon-compatibility. We already got a person working at the famous 56001 DSP in VHDL.

But the really importand thing is, that we develop a hardware which makes the compatibility to every ever built Atari-TOS-machine possible from the technical side. What the great coders are able to implement, what we can provide as project, are other questions. For example if a crew of 5 more people forms up, coding a DVD-Decoder in VHDL, we could deliver the machine with DVD-Playback. But maybe this will need 3 more years, ... ;)

Edited by Mathias

Will these end up being Falcon compatible or more of an souped up TT?

At the beginning the machine gets Hades compatibility-level. It will be seen by TOS as a normal TT, so every clean GEM-Application will work immediatly. In later stage of the project, it will also be possible to become full Falcon-compatibility. We already got a person working at the famous 56001 DSP in VHDL.

But the really importand thing is, that we develop a hardware which makes the compatibility to every ever built Atari-TOS-machine possible from the technical side. What the great coders are able to implement, what we can provide as project, are other questions. For example if a crew of 5 more people forms up, coding a DVD-Decoder in VHDL, we could deliver the machine with DVD-Playback. But maybe this will need 3 more years, ... ;)

Is CF that compatible to the 68K? I understand that you can trap instructions, but afaik there are more differences that can't be fixed so easily.

Basically, I've got an app that I want to run on the cf. Do I have to recompile it or will it run immediately and how?

Edited by Christos

Is CF that compatible to the 68K? I understand that you can trap instructions, but afaik there are more differences that can't be fixed so easily.

ColdFire instructions are a subset of the 68k instructions. As I´m no technician, I can´t tell you how they´ll exactly handle all the issues (there are also two instructions which behave in other ways at CF than at 68k, ...), But Fredi Aschwanden as Wolfgang Förster think that from the beginning the whole machine is as compatible as the Hades is.

Basically, I've got an app that I want to run on the cf. Do I have to recompile it or will it run immediately and how?

Every clean GEM application will run from the beginning. Beside this it´s possible to recompile for the ColdFire, to get the full advantage of 266MHz running natively. And the biggest benefit is, it´s possible to compile applications for 68k AND CF which will than natively run on all TOS-machines.

ColdFire instructions are a subset of the 68k instructions. As I´m no technician, I can´t tell you how they´ll exactly handle all the issues (there are also two instructions which behave in other ways at CF than at 68k, ...), But Fredi Aschwanden as Wolfgang Förster think that from the beginning the whole machine is as compatible as the Hades is.

Every clean GEM application will run from the beginning. Beside this it´s possible to recompile for the ColdFire, to get the full advantage of 266MHz running natively. And the biggest benefit is, it´s possible to compile applications for 68k AND CF which will than natively run on all TOS-machines.

Aha, then that's good to know. It's an awesome thing. I wonder if it could be placed on a falcon+ct60+ctpci, that would be fun :D. It would also be cool if it featured a supervidel but... that's just me dreaming ;).

Aha, then that's good to know. It's an awesome thing. I wonder if it could be placed on a falcon+ct60+ctpci, that would be fun :D.

That´s an absolute crazy idea, but we have to try ;)

It would also be cool if it featured a supervidel but... that's just me dreaming ;).

We´ve been in contact with nature in january about this, but at least they didn´t want to throw in the complete SuperVidel developement for free into ColdFire-Project (what I can understand). But as we are a non-commercial project, we can´t pay so we didn´t talk about other possibilities. The only chance would have been to force everybody to buy a SuperVidel for our ColdFire Machine, ... At least our hardware-crew decidet, that a own graphiccard in VHDL is possible in easy ways (with the 128MB Ram), ...

Aha, then that's good to know. It's an awesome thing. I wonder if it could be placed on a falcon+ct60+ctpci, that would be fun :D.

That´s an absolute crazy idea, but we have to try ;)

It would also be cool if it featured a supervidel but... that's just me dreaming ;).

We´ve been in contact with nature in january about this, but at least they didn´t want to throw in the complete SuperVidel developement for free into ColdFire-Project (what I can understand). But as we are a non-commercial project, we can´t pay so we didn´t talk about other possibilities. The only chance would have been to force everybody to buy a SuperVidel for our ColdFire Machine, ... At least our hardware-crew decidet, that a own graphiccard in VHDL is possible in easy ways (with the 128MB Ram), ...

Yeah, I understand. It's a bit sad to reinvent the wheel. Still a way to connect a supervidel would be nice. Anyway, you seem to have made a great team over there, the names speak for themselves.

• 5 months later...