IGNORED

Oblivion VS. Morrowind?

cimerians

Ya know after finally getting around to picking up Oblivion GOTY edition and actually playing it, I have to say this...

I understand all the critisim. In particular ZP's review of it. The game has it's issues, not the least being the horrible HORRBILE god awful voice acting. Like seriously, how in the heck did this pass play testing? Honestly, I stopped playing it after a few hours and dunno if I'll bother to finish it. If you want to play a good RPG using this engine, just play Fallout 3 instead which mostly got everything right.

Wow... why am I not surprised that you dislike one of the best games ever made? :roll:

The game has it's issues, not the least being the horrible HORRBILE god awful voice acting.

If the voice acting is your biggest gripe, just do what I always do-- turn off the sound on your speakers. (Yep, I play *all* of my games in the silence, so as not to disturb anyone else in my apartment complex. Of course, they can probably still hear me cursing when I screw up!)

Michael

Wow... why am I not surprised that you dislike one of the best games ever made? :roll:

Meh, Artlover truely is the Mikey of the new millenium. Fallout 3 seems to be his Life cereal (Even though he has in the past ripped on that game as well...my guess is he can't help it.) Rest assured he hates everything else so just get used to it. You've heard of the angry gamer? Artlover is the negative gamer. :cool:

Ya know after finally getting around to picking up Oblivion GOTY edition and actually playing it, I have to say this...

I've been playing it for days and although it is an improvement over Morrowind in graphics and being able to fast travel is cool, I am surprised by how un-alive the characters are. Before the game was released, I wanted to believe the hype about how realistic and alive the characters would be. Now that I have played the game, the characters don't seem that much different than the characters in Morrowind. They're still pretty stupid. They often like to stand around doing nothing and seem to have the same 3 odd sounding conversations with each other. Another weird thing is that someone who hates you might give you a syrupy greeting or goodbye and someone who likes you may give you a nasty sounding greeting or goodbye. As you play, you find that a lot of things don't match up, especially when it comes to a character's emotional state and feelings toward you.

There are plenty of fun things to do in Oblivion, but it's not the huge step forward in AI that we seemed to be promised in various articles. I'm glad I have the game and can finally play it, but it is disappointing in a lot of ways.

I fired up Morrowind on the PC about a month back and played around a little. The graphics are better than the Xbox version of course but it does seem its pretty much the same as Oblivion.....at least the character AI. I havent gotten that far though so I cant comment more but it is a lot of fun.

I speant about 40 hours on Oblivion, Im going to try to do the same on Morrowind.

• 3 weeks later...

Having played both of these (excellent) games to death, I have to say I find Morrowind the better RPG. Sure, it's fugly and has some rough edges, but the highly original setting, fantastic story, ungodly numbers of things to do make it marginally better. Oblivion, due to the new 'all spoken' dialog system had far less interesting character interaction, and I really got annoyed at the enemy 'auto leveling' system (right, I've saved the world, killed gods, fought demons, and goblins are still tough). Oblivion was also vastly easier.

That said, they are both still two of the best RPGs I've ever played, and VASTLY better than the usual jrpg junk we get.

Having played both of these (excellent) games to death, I have to say I find Morrowind the better RPG. Sure, it's fugly and has some rough edges, but the highly original setting, fantastic story, ungodly numbers of things to do make it marginally better. Oblivion, due to the new 'all spoken' dialog system had far less interesting character interaction, and I really got annoyed at the enemy 'auto leveling' system (right, I've saved the world, killed gods, fought demons, and goblins are still tough). Oblivion was also vastly easier.

That said, they are both still two of the best RPGs I've ever played, and VASTLY better than the usual jrpg junk we get.

Totally agreed. Especially with the sad state of almost "play Jrpg or play no rpg" that the world has gotten to at this point.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the little shitty charactures just never got much easier to kill. Even still, I never quiet got to the same level of "walk into town and destroy every living thing in it just for kicks" level in Oblivion that I did in Morrowind.

I still hold to my original post though, give us a rerelease of Morrowind, with Oblivions graphics, that would be awesome.

I have both now and am getting started into Morrowind so far i'm liking it! I have played through Oblivion several times now and still enjoy it! The one thing that makes both games especially great for me? :lust: Lynda Carter :lust: provides the voices for some of the NPC's!

I am just now getting into modding Oblivion and so far it's been a blast.

I haven't played either game, although I do own Oblivion GotR for the 360. So perhaps I should play Morrowind first and then go back and then play Oblivion. I did play Fallout 3 and thoroughly enjoyed it, but never did go back to find the 50% of the game I probably didn't see due to the scope of the world!

If the voice acting is your biggest gripe, just do what I always do-- turn off the sound on your speakers. (Yep, I play *all* of my games in the silence, so as not to disturb anyone else in my apartment complex. Of course, they can probably still hear me cursing when I screw up!)

You do know that you can adjust the volume so that you can hear it but your neighbors cannot? ;) And there's also headphones. :D

..Al

I really got annoyed at the enemy 'auto leveling' system (right, I've saved the world, killed gods, fought demons, and goblins are still tough).

Really? I know there's definitely a bit of that involved, especially earlier in the game, but my character was pretty much Death incarnate near the end. Even afterwards, though I enjoyed the Shivering Isles a whole bunch, there wasn't really much fear of getting killed. Maybe your character is a girlie man? :P :D

You do know that you can adjust the volume so that you can hear it but your neighbors cannot? ;)

Where's the fun in that? But yes, I do turn the sound up just a bit on occasion. :)

Michael

Fallout 3 rules!! lol.. sorry couldn't resist the fanboy plug! Or would that be a pipboy plug? lol

Nah... I'd have a tough time picking a personal favorite between the 2... probably Morrowind as I found myself getting thoroughly pasted all the time... lol. The life of a Magic User (never learned in my D+D days... still never learned! lol)

Fallout 3 rules!! lol.. sorry couldn't resist the fanboy plug! Or would that be a pipboy plug? lol

Nah... I'd have a tough time picking a personal favorite between the 2... probably Morrowind as I found myself getting thoroughly pasted all the time... lol. The life of a Magic User (never learned in my D+D days... still never learned! lol)

I tried playing a wizard type in Oblivion and couldnt get into it although some of the spells are cool. I just didnt have the time.

Archer's and Assassins were always fun but I beat the game with a Warrior in the late 30's. Level 37 or 38 or something.....

I'm doing the same in Morrowind right now but so many other games are getting in the way I may never finish Morrowind, or at least not for a long while.

It would be a treat if they re-released this game on the 360 with Oblivion graphics although the PC version of Morrowind still looks pretty nice. :D

Edited by cimerians

I tried playing a wizard type in Oblivion and couldnt get into it although some of the spells are cool. I just didnt have the time.

I don't remember if I've played as a wizard in Oblivion-- it seems like I have-- but even as a magic-user, I always seem to focus more on developing my physical fighting skills and relying on other non-magical abilities (e.g., picking locks instead of casting spells to open locks). Some spells are fun or helpful to use, and I do like to have at least some magical abilities "just in case," but killing something with a sword or axe just seems so much more... fulfilling! ;)

Michael

Yeah I thought about picking up Daggerfall and seeing if I could get it to run in dosxbox. But something tells me it will be to slow and I'll just have to stick to a real pc.

The part that I had fun with was partaking in ALL of the guilds. Although I thought I would get kicked out of the wizards guild (or whatever it was) when I had to do a certain thieves guild mission.

Saw this interesting thread about Daggerfall..

Wow that was something. I'm a HUGE fan of RPGs and have often wanted to go back and try the ones I never played before (Like Daggerfall for instance) and play through ones I've beaten so many years ago (Dark Queen of Krynn, Loom, Dragon Warrior etc...)

Man I wish i was independently wealthy!!

Thanks for the link.

Yeah I thought about picking up Daggerfall and seeing if I could get it to run in dosxbox. But something tells me it will be to slow and I'll just have to stick to a real pc.

I loaded up the free version of Daggerfall just last week when it was released. On my laptop (Intel core 2 CPU T56 @ 1.83GHZ 1.83 GHZ, 2.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 build 7100) it runs fine in DOSBox, no adjustments needed. It had been a very long time since I had played it and had forgotten how great it really was. No, the graphics aren't as swanky as MW or OB, but the music playing is awesome, the feeling of being in an expansive world is definitely there, and I had forgotten just how hard getting out of the first dungeon was (at least for me) (though it was a bit easier than Arena which I've also tried out in the last couple of weeks and also runs in DOSBox fine, though needed to increase the cycles/cpu a lot to about 24000)

I also like MW better than OB in a lot of respects; there's something about the 'feel' and 'atmosphere' of MW that gives the sense of really being in a large country that lacks for me in OB. I recently just restarted MW and spent the first 6-8 hours actually enjoying the 'slow running' aspect (though I did admittedly finally get the boots of speed and cast the spell required to get my speed up to something a bit more manageable). I'll hit up OB again soon and see if I can approach it and get that feeling that I have found in Arena, DG, and MW.

Daggerfall is the only one I havent tried and I've had it for 10 years. Yeah if you do a search for it on Bethesda's site its a free download now (about 150M)

Arena (the 1st game) was too hard for me especially getting out of the inital dungeon, I found Battlemages the best to play though. I had turn down the cycles for DOSBOX as well to get it to run correctly.

I downloaded Daggerfall last week and I will try it on DOSBOX, I love Arena even though it was hard and I'm sure Daggerfall is a lot better.

:D