IGNORED

Does installing a new version of Windows affect 'D:\' ?

GOTHCLAWZ

I have a laptop which has 2 hard drives, C:\ drive which is the system & D:\ drive for some reason. If I installed a new version of Windows on it by formatting the C:\ drive, will it affect D:\ drive in any way?

The reason I ask is because I want to put XP on my Vista laptop but keep all my personal files.

Edited by GOTHCLAWZ

Although it seems rather redundant to point out this flaw in light of some other rather glaring obvious issues - pictures in signatures are not allowed.

You are as intelligent as you look. :rolling:

Kids these days. :roll:

What's a matter smart ass, can't you see the C: and the D: :?: :?

:P

Edited by remowilliams

Windows will usually call the System drive (the one with \WINDOWS on it) C:

The remainder of drives/partitions are usually ordered by their positions on IDE or SATA channels.

Sometimes SATA drives get precedence, sometimes IDE drives. It's often controllable in the BIOS.

IIRC, extra drives as partitions on the boot device can actually come after other drives in some cases.

With WinXP, it's not totally critical... you can reorder all the other drives on the system other than the boot drive. I've done that with my system since I like the HDDs, then optical drives in the list. Also I've got a 4-in-1 3.5" card reader which shows up as 4 drives, so I've renamed those to reflect the media type e.g. X: for XD cards, S: for SD cards.

That's 2 hard drives right? question.gif

Nope, that is one hard drive, 2 partitions.

Oh cool, so whipping the Laptop with my CD shouldn't affect anything on the Data drive?

Stop breathing that fresh air, it's needed by another human that actually has some worth. I dunno who it is but I bet they need it more than you. Same goes for food.

Stop breathing that fresh air, it's needed by another human that actually has some worth. I dunno who it is but I bet they need it more than you. Same goes for food.

Come on, I whip my laptop with CD's all the time, just leaves some scratch marks every now and then. :lol:

Oh, I second that. Especially since if his computer is new enough he'll have to redo the drivers as well. If he knew how and had the time he could make Vista work pretty well and configure it to something that better suits him. I just hope he's not stupid enough to touch the "D Drive" in any way because he'll need it once he screws the downgrade up enough. Especially with a laptop, it's easy enough to do.

Reminds me of this thread sadly - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=138881&hl=.

If you don't know what a partition is you should not be thinking about re-installing windows.

Come to think of it - if you don't know what a partition is you should not have a computer!

Formatting the first partition shouldn't affect the second. In that case, they are indeed handled as separate drives even though they may be one physical drive. I don't know much about laptops, but heck that picture might be from a system with a USB hard disk hooked up for all we know.

How big is the drive on the computer supposed to be? Like, how many GB does it say on the side of the retail box? From the look of your partitions, it has roughly 120GB on the single physical drive.

The problem is this: IMO, to really clean up the drive, that is, to ensure that the Windows install doesn't simply locate the old files that were deleted and re use them or to ensure something you want gone doesn't stick around, you have to write scan the drive. Sometimes this is called a zero fill or a low level format. This over writes parts of everything on the drive. All data becomes corrupted and unusable by the write scan. Partitions go to data heaven. That's how it works now, back in the day the entire drive used to be over written with zeros and it really could take all night.

Of course, you'd have to back up all your data files before trying this.

Once the write scan done, the next step is to re partition and reformat the drive, then you install your OS to the primary partition and away you go.

I always go with a dual drive setup in a desktop environment. One drive holds the programs and OS, the other holds data. That way when the OS gets jacked, I pull the plug on the data drive and go through the procedure above on the main drive. Too bad there's only one disk in the laptop, though, 'cause my little plan doesn't work too well without that second physical drive.

Why not run a USB hard disk as your data drive at home, and install just what you want to have on the go on the main drive that's inside the laptop?

The reason I ask is because I want to put XP on my Vista laptop but keep all my personal files.

Why? Is it just because you do not like Vista or is it because you need the HD space?

Personally I found Vista to be better that I expected but then I only have the Home Basic edition so I did not get a lot of bloaty crap I did not need like the scrolly windows thing clogging my HD, the only real pain is the UAC and that is does not correctly handle multicore processors roll on Windows 7!

If you had more space on your HD, you could have installed XP and dual boot it that way if XP install did not work you could still use you laptop under Vista. If you are intent on doing it I suggest you go find the hardware devices in the control panel, make a note of them and download the drivers before removing Vista as XP may not have all the drivers you require.

If the XP install goes wrong I have heard that you can only install Vista 3 times before you have to go cap in hand to Microsoft, the fact that you do not appear to know that you had one HD that had been partitioned is worrying as you really need to know a reasonable amount about this stuff if you are going to attemp it therefore if you have a friend who knows what they are doing ask them to do it for you, espically if as with my laptop Vista installed from a HD partition so you do not have a install/recovery CD/DVD because you do not want to remove those file by mistake.