IGNORED

Help Wanted

bpj1138

If you're reading this, you're either looking for a job (good luck with that) or one of the thousands of pessimists that will undoubtedly make their negative opinions known. Regardless, I'm going to give this my best shot. I'm an Atari kid, both the 8-bit and the ST, though like many of you I've graduated or been forced to move on to the PC/Unix. I've always wanted to write games, and have been working towards that goal for many years. I'm sure you know the story by now. I've had some minor professional success in the computer world, working for some web companies and such, all the while looking for people that I respected and wanted to work with. Well, honestly, I've never found those people, neither among my coworkers or personal friends. So what was left? I had to go on the internet to look for them. Of course I soon found out that people on the Internet didn't trust one another. Nobody was willing to take a chance and work with someone they can't talk to in person. There was a lot of talent, but no trust. So I figured out that there had to be some common link/trust between people on the Internet otherwise nothing would jell. Then it hit me.. There is trust among people who have had that common 8-bit computer experience. If somebody tells me "I can write 6502 code", they're automaticly accepted (at least by me). It's a bit like the computer/game industry itself. They only hire within the family too.

Ok, I'm gonna leave it there. What is the project? I don't know. This isn't about me, and I'm not gonna set those parameters for everybody. I'm just starting the conversation. Give us/me your ideas. One thing I would say from the outset is that even though we love our Ataris so, we have to be realistic, and use a platform that's a bit more mainstream.

That's all for now. Let me/us know your thoughts..

How about taking on a project to make the Atari 8-bit "a bit more mainstream"?

Just what would that need to do?

Bob

If you're reading this, you're either looking for a job (good luck with that) or one of the thousands of pessimists that will undoubtedly make their negative opinions known. Regardless, I'm going to give this my best shot. I'm an Atari kid, both the 8-bit and the ST, though like many of you I've graduated or been forced to move on to the PC/Unix. I've always wanted to write games, and have been working towards that goal for many years. I'm sure you know the story by now. I've had some minor professional success in the computer world, working for some web companies and such, all the while looking for people that I respected and wanted to work with. Well, honestly, I've never found those people, neither among my coworkers or personal friends. So what was left? I had to go on the internet to look for them. Of course I soon found out that people on the Internet didn't trust one another. Nobody was willing to take a chance and work with someone they can't talk to in person. There was a lot of talent, but no trust. So I figured out that there had to be some common link/trust between people on the Internet otherwise nothing would jell. Then it hit me.. There is trust among people who have had that common 8-bit computer experience. If somebody tells me "I can write 6502 code", they're automaticly accepted (at least by me). It's a bit like the computer/game industry itself. They only hire within the family too.

Ok, I'm gonna leave it there. What is the project? I don't know. This isn't about me, and I'm not gonna set those parameters for everybody. I'm just starting the conversation. Give us/me your ideas. One thing I would say from the outset is that even though we love our Ataris so, we have to be realistic, and use a platform that's a bit more mainstream.

Hi bpj1138, interesting post but i'm confused :!: Are you saying you'd like to write a game for the 8-bit Atari and want some ideas? Are you talking about using the PC based cross assember MADS type environment mentioned elsewhere on this forum?

Re Bob's comments: To make the 8-bit Atari more mainstream I think someone should make the emulator's easier to use for the next generation(s)... I'm always trying to encourage my godchildren to play in the HSC and they are really PC literate (trust me) but I have to explain how to use Atariwin+4.0 with a ROM/CAS/ATR/XEX/COM basic/not etc... surely some of this can be better automated or a beginners front end, maybe even linking to atari mania etc for the games (yes there was another thread for this)... just an idea!

even though i know how to use a800win+....If i had some working hardware and a couple of 1050's, I would actually find it easier using real hardware then messing around trying to set up an emulator

All you have to do is pop a disk in the drive, switch drive on and wait till the drive stop's initialising then switch on the computer (whilst holding down option, optional) and there you have it

Boy what i wouldn't give to have my hands around a cx40 and using it, miles better then using a gamepad on an emulator (just doesn't feel right)