IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 10: Gyruss

JellE

I was always a fan of that game... for me it was one of the "killer apps" when I bought a Commodore 64... the Atari 2600 and the TI-99 (the systems I had) just couldn't do this. OK, actually, the 2600 also got a very respectable port of Gyruss (considering its limitations). The C-64 version is even better than the Atari 8-bit one, having a higher resolution and more colors on the screen. On the downside, on the C-64 the sprites start to flicker if there are many of them on the screen at once (most notably during the "Chance stage" and while the formation is forming). On the other hand, the C-64 version is missing the drum track due to the C-64 only having 3 sound generators.

I tried Gyruss on C64 and I think the A8 version is better despite low resolution. Variations of color schemes is nice, I like the sounds and music more in A8 version and as you said, the c64 flickering is really bad, it flickers almost all the time.

- The three bouncing things don't come out if, after all of the formations have passed, less than, I think, 4 enemies are left in the middle. Since the bouncing things give huge bonus points, you should avoid that case.

As I observed you need to have at least 3 enemies left then they will spawn.

- Killing a formation before it settles also gives a huge bonus. However, in this version, "settles" apparently means an earlier point in time than you may think. You may end up destroying the whole formation and still not get the bonus.

You get bonus only if you kill all enemies before any one of them starts going back (heading to the middle). So even if you kill them all in time and just one of them slightly turns it's nose to middle and go there then no bonus for you.

Gyruss probably uses HW sprite collision thus I get sometimes killed by "bonus score" ... it has the same color as bombs, part of ships, meteors so sometimes when I get bonus for killing the formation and then move over the score I get killed.

It looks like that when you have too many ships in the middle the 5th formation will not get spawned.

The key for big score is to learn the formations. IMO there are 5 formations in each stage, so kill the first 4 for bonus, leave at least 3 ships from the last formation to settle in the middle to spawn the orbital stations for bonus points and try to kill all enemies when not settled in the middle (you get only half points compared when the are moving around the screen) and kill the last one flying for bonus. And of course in chance stage kill all ships to get bonus too. For example you can have 15500 points after first stage, after stage 3 (neptun + chance stage) over 50k points see screenshot.

Anyone knows when you get additional ship? It looks to me that you get additional ship maybe at 60k 160k 260k etc.

post-3960-1242372967_thumb.png

Edited by MaPa

I was always a fan of that game... for me it was one of the "killer apps" when I bought a Commodore 64... the Atari 2600 and the TI-99 (the systems I had) just couldn't do this. OK, actually, the 2600 also got a very respectable port of Gyruss (considering its limitations). The C-64 version is even better than the Atari 8-bit one, having a higher resolution and more colors on the screen. On the downside, on the C-64 the sprites start to flicker if there are many of them on the screen at once (most notably during the "Chance stage" and while the formation is forming). On the other hand, the C-64 version is missing the drum track due to the C-64 only having 3 sound generators.

I tried Gyruss on C64 and I think the A8 version is better despite low resolution. Variations of color schemes is nice, I like the sounds and music more in A8 version and as you said, the c64 flickering is really bad, it flickers almost all the time.

Never tried the C64 version, but in this case with so much fast motion the resolution 160 or 320 wouldn't make that much of an impact. C64 has flickering sprites or are they using non-sprite objects?

I just played Gyruss and game went into some state where the spaceship is just flying around with no attack waves; only one meteor keeps coming at me and I can't shoot it.

I just played Gyruss and game went into some state where the spaceship is just flying around with no attack waves; only one meteor keeps coming at me and I can't shoot it.

weird , that happened to me this afternoon.

Real cart on a real Atari :x

Happened to me on real kit too.

My scores on this one are so bad as to be unpostable :(

Happened to me on real kit too.

My scores on this one are so bad as to be unpostable :(

I've had this too, waves 4 and 8, you have to bite the bullet and crash into the meteor. There was discussion of this on a previous Gyruss HSC... at least if it happens on a real cart it's not the copies!!! I wonder if it's something to do with killing the baddies in the middle and the explosion accidentally clears a live one but still thinks it is there, if you see what I mean. Perhaps I'll be more careful towards the end of the waves? Not played today, YET :)

[Edit] 278,900 honest, teach me for moving before the photo had finished :twisted: All this rapid firing is giving my new joystick a good pummelling but it's holding out... just :)

post-19705-1242661125_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob

I was also talking about real atari. It happened on Atari 5200 (using Gyruss cartridge) and Atari 800XL (using disk-based software).