IGNORED

Windows 2K/XP/VISTA Compatible Dev Tools Released!

belboz

I have an update almost ready for the Windows version, and an initial release for Linux. If you want to test the linux version just drop me a PM.

If there are any OS X users still interested let me know. (I know some did earlier, but let me know again! also let me know if your wanting a PPC or x86 build of the tools or both)

Hi belboz! Was wondering if there was any news on a linux version or a source release for

vasm/vbcc/vlink targetting jaguar? Thanks very much for any info!

If I can do anything to help (incl. stop bothering you), let me know too...

I have an update almost ready for the Windows version, and an initial release for Linux. If you want to test the linux version just drop me a PM.

If there are any OS X users still interested let me know. (I know some did earlier, but let me know again! also let me know if your wanting a PPC or x86 build of the tools or both)

intel mac :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi belboz! Was wondering if there was any news on a linux version or a source release for

Thank you belboz! Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Is there any reason not to do a universal build?

Well having the time to do it is the big factor. I am not an OS X guru so there might be an easy way to tweak a makefile to generate a universal build, but I am not aware of it.

Generally to make a universal build app in the past I have compiled on an x86 and ppc Mac and then used a command line tool to bundle them both into a universal app.

For now the few responses for OS X tools seem to have been from x86 Mac users.

Is there any reason not to do a universal build?

Well having the time to do it is the big factor. I am not an OS X guru so there might be an easy way to tweak a makefile to generate a universal build, but I am not aware of it.

Generally to make a universal build app in the past I have compiled on an x86 and ppc Mac and then used a command line tool to bundle them both into a universal app.

For now the few responses for OS X tools seem to have been from x86 Mac users.

Well it happens that I maintain the OS X build for the project in my sig (on top of working on Linux issues for it) and for the parts of it that are built with gcc (or g++) it is quite simple to make a universal build. Simply add this to your cflags and link flags:

-arch i386 -arch ppc

That's all there is to it.

I am pretty sure I tried that, but ran into issues with some of the tools that require a big endian / little endian type define at build time. Doing what you list below would work, but I would get a universal binary that wouldn't run properly on one of the architectures. (e.g. it would be built as little endian and the universal binary would work fine on x86 Macs, but PPC macs would not run correctly because the code was still thinking it was a little endian system).

-arch i386 -arch ppc

I am pretty sure I tried that, but ran into issues with some of the tools that require a big endian / little endian type define at build time. Doing what you list below would work, but I would get a universal binary that wouldn't run properly on one of the architectures. (e.g. it would be built as little endian and the universal binary would work fine on x86 Macs, but PPC macs would not run correctly because the code was still thinking it was a little endian system).

-arch i386 -arch ppc

That shouldn't be the case unless sections of code are making an assumption about endianness. The compiler itself knows that x86 is little endian and ppc is big endian and it should take care of that. When I compile socket code I have no endian problems in universal builds. I would be curious to know where these problems lie. It would be easy enough to test ppc builds of your tools by building them for ppc only and then they should run through rosetta.

Yes, some of the code was endian specific and had #ifdef's arround the code. Basically if HOSTBIGENDIAN was set it would handle things assuming the system was a big endian machine. Else it was compiled assuming little endian.

I think it was the assembler or linker. Not sure which.

That shouldn't be the case unless sections of code are making an assumption about endianness. The compiler itself knows that x86 is little endian and ppc is big endian and it should take care of that. When I compile socket code I have no endian problems in universal builds. I would be curious to know where these problems lie. It would be easy enough to test ppc builds of your tools by building them for ppc only and then they should run through rosetta.

• 3 weeks later...
Lastly, I do not want to take w/out giving anything back, so if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Know anything about writing machine descriptors?

One for the RISC's would be rather sweet. It would

be nice to have it set up to run out in main or in the

local depending on what you need using a directive

or something. However, descriptors are a science in

their own right. I only wish I understood it better.

Hi Gorf! Hope you like books!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558603204?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1558603204

Chapter 6 Producing Code Generators Automatically

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558603204?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1558603204

Chapter 15 Code Generation and Local Code Optimization

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321486811?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0321486811

Chapter 8 Code Generation

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155860698X?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=155860698X

11.1.1 Building Retargetable Compilers

disclaimer: I purchased those recently, it will be years years years before I read them, let alone

grok any of their contents. I will post back here in 2026.

I guess I have no excuse now, but neither do you, so we are even :)

• 2 months later...
This compiler works really well. I have used it to compile the Doom source and it worked beautifully.

Holy cow, this is huge! Is it possible to post your modified Doom sources?

Thanks again. I still do way too much work in DOSBox and this could finally mark the end of that...

- KS

Well now we know why Boz was tinkering around with the Doom source. :P

Edited by JagChris

• 3 years later...