IGNORED

Switch box fires

Poopopyo

I've had it spark but in 27 years of owning one never had anything catch fire or hurt my tv.

nope safe as can be the spark you see if you plug the system wire into the switch box is just a weird combination of the coating they use on the jack and the varous coils and capacitors

sure it could cause an explosion if you are in a combustable environment like a room full of gas or teh switchbox if right over a pail of oily varnish rags

I've had it spark but in 27 years of owning one never had anything catch fire or hurt my tv.

nope safe as can be the spark you see if you plug the system wire into the switch box is just a weird combination of the coating they use on the jack and the varous coils and capacitors

sure it could cause an explosion if you are in a combustable environment like a room full of gas or teh switchbox if right over a pail of oily varnish rags

Looks like I better move my oily varnish rag bucket. :x

Looks like I better move my oily varnish rag bucket. :x

You too? Bummer cuz my nieces have been enjoying throwing those rags for the dog to fetch.

Is it true that the automatic switch box for the 4 port 5200 can spontaneously combust or start sparking randomly???

You probably watch that video clip on Youtube..Anyhow i had mine 12vrs and nothing happen

What Youtube video clip?

He's talking about the AVGN's 5200 review.

Is it true that the automatic switch box for the 4 port 5200 can spontaneously combust or start sparking randomly???

You probably watch that video clip on Youtube..Anyhow i had mine 12vrs and nothing happen

What Youtube video clip?

Oh, nevermind I've seen it than.

I've had my switchbox spark a few times since I've had it (roughly 1 1/2 yrs). In those circumstances, the 5200 won't power up so I pull out my tv & wiggle the switchbox until the system powers on (I've seen the spark in the course of the wiggling). In unusual circumstances, I can see this causing a fire.

Peace

What Youtube video clip?

I really enjoy watching Classic Game Room HD reviews for the 5200. I guess he's reviewing all of the 5200 games and the Controllers! Don't know any place else that has clips for the 5200.

The sparks are normal and I get them all the time. I keep the switch box on a table top behind the TV, so it's a non-issue.

Question: Is it best to keep the 5200 unplugged when not in play?

What Youtube video clip?

I really enjoy watching Classic Game Room HD reviews for the 5200. I guess he's reviewing all of the 5200 games and the Controllers! Don't know any place else that has clips for the 5200.

I'm watching the Missle Command review and is complaining about the analog controller so he's wanting to buy the trac-ball. I never play my 5200 MC game without the trac-ball and they cost nearly the same as a standard controller.

Edited by cyberfluxor

The sparks are normal and I get them all the time. I keep the switch box on a table top behind the TV, so it's a non-issue.

Yes, I unplug it after i'm done.

I'm watching the Missle Command review and is complaining about the analog controller so he's wanting to buy the trac-ball. I never play my 5200 MC game without the trac-ball and they cost nearly the same as a standard controller.

I don't have one either.

Yes, I unplug it after i'm done.

I don't have one either.

You should get one, I promise they don't spark on a normal basis. :)

Yeah, I get sparks as well when I plug the RCA jack into the box while it's plugged in. But that's a minor issue-- the bigger issue is that I have the cable coaxial input going into it and I get weird lines on the display going through the switch box (to VCR to TV) which go away if I directly connect cable coaxial input to VCR.

So in that case, it's better to not to have it plugged in all the time as it causes interference.

Easiest way to avoid any sparks is to plug everything into the switchbox BEFORE you plug the AC into the Power Socket of your wall.

Plug into the wall as the last step and you'll be fine.

You will never have a spark this way, or atleast I never have and I adopted this method because I fried one switchbox in my hands while plugging in the system to the switchbox and I was thankful that the system didn't blow as well. And I seen sparks numerous times before that but failed to come up with this "safety plan" til I actually burned up one and it smelled like burnt hair.

I hope that helps.

I blew up my last 4 port switchbox when some of the TV connections shorted together. I didn't care to go hunt another one up, so I power modded the 5200 I have now. No sparks, no mess of wires, nothing more to cause me fits.

It stays plugged in, but considering how little I use the 5200 I probably ought to unplug it when I'm not playing it.

I blew up my last 4 port switchbox when some of the TV connections shorted together. I didn't care to go hunt another one up, so I power modded the 5200 I have now. No sparks, no mess of wires, nothing more to cause me fits.

It stays plugged in, but considering how little I use the 5200 I probably ought to unplug it when I'm not playing it.

I have my 4 Port in its box tucked away because of the wire mess and I Switched the BIOS on my 2 port to 4 port BIOS and now I have the best of both worlds and the 2600 Adapter works with it too.

I just used it on Memorial Day. Cheers :)

PS> I tried using a Sega Remote Controller with my Masterplay Interface on 5200 games and it would not work. I was highly disappointed.

I need to dig out my AtariAge Redemption Adpater and see if my Sega Remote Controllers are compatable with that maybe? I sure hope so.

When I thought of this idea the night before Memorial Day, I was so psyched for it to work with the Masterplay but then disappointment set in. Maybe for some strange reason, the Redemption will work with it.

Wish me luck :)

Edited by Phantom

I have my 4 Port in its box tucked away because of the wire mess and I Switched the BIOS on my 2 port to 4 port BIOS and now I have the best of both worlds and the 2600 Adapter works with it too.

I just used it on Memorial Day. Cheers :)

PS> I tried using a Sega Remote Controller with my Masterplay Interface on 5200 games and it would not work. I was highly disappointed.

I need to dig out my AtariAge Redemption Adpater and see if my Sega Remote Controllers are compatable with that maybe? I sure hope so.

When I thought of this idea the night before Memorial Day, I was so psyched for it to work with the Masterplay but then disappointment set in. Maybe for some strange reason, the Redemption will work with it.

Wish me luck :)

I also get sparks sometimes when I plug in my Thinkpad adapter into the socket so it's not just true for Atari 5200 4-port switch box, but the Thinkpad may have more protection inside it and the adapter.

My experiance has been, that any laptop computer will do the same thing, and most have thatt stupid multi part power supply to make it worse. It doesn't matter what you hook in first either, as it sparks when the power supply is hooked into the wall regardless, and sometimes when hooked into the computer itself.

Switch for the 5200 is the same way though, sparks either way, or mine does, and while I doubt it will start a fire, unless it's resting place is a tenderbox, it most certainly will burn out.