IGNORED

SIO2IDE Questions

Hello flashjazzcat

Maybe the interface got damaged while the adaptor was plugged in upside down. Since the adaptor is connected to a power supply, it's possible that you connected +5 and Ground to something that doesn't like that.

greetings

Mathy

Maybe the interface got damaged while the adaptor was plugged in upside down. Since the adaptor is connected to a power supply, it's possible that you connected +5 and Ground to something that doesn't like that.

Well, who knows. It was working perfectly, and I switched off to put the top back on the case. When I powered up again it has stopped booting and nothing had been earthed in the intervening time. It's obviously not working consistently for some reason: tonight was the first time I'd got it working a week after fitting it, originally with a totally different drive.

...Just got it working again. I pulled the adapter off the IDE interface and pushed it back on again. I'm actually inclined to think there's a loose connection somewhere.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Another question: I've just flashed Diamond GOS to my AtariMax cart. Works great with internal SDX. However, I had to use SIO2SD to boot the Diamond flash ATR. With internal SDX disabled, SIO2IDE won't boot from an ATR, even if I wait five seconds after powerup and reboot the machine. This can't be right. What if I want to disable SDX and boot DOS 2.5 from the CF card? Is there some extra wiring to do? What am I missing?

Without SDX plugged in and with SIO2IDE config set to boot the MyDOS image, the machine polls devices then jumps into BASIC. If I type DOS and then do a warm reset with Option pressed, it just does the same again. The interface works perfectly in all other circumstances.

Ideas?

Seems like I'm talking to myself here... :D Anyway, I think I've isolated one of the problems I've had with SIO2IDE. I don't know if others have experienced this, but this is what I've found and it means I can find workarounds.

The problem of the device not booting the disk image when doing a "COLD /N" restart in SDX (thus turning the cartridge off) only seems to occus when the SIO2IDE config file has D1 mapped to an ATR file whose name contains lower case letters. Pursuing this further, it appears that ATR files on the CF card with lower case characters in their filenames don't mount at all. The device works perfectly with D1 mapped to "LW.ATR" or "PC.ATR" but consistently times out with "MyDOS453.ATR" or "Paperclip.ATR".

The solution in this case is simple: give all the ATR files uppercase names.

No, we're listening...

Seems like I'm talking to myself here... :D Anyway, I think I've isolated one of the problems I've had with SIO2IDE. I don't know if others have experienced this, but this is what I've found and it means I can find workarounds.

The problem of the device not booting the disk image when doing a "COLD /N" restart in SDX (thus turning the cartridge off) only seems to occus when the SIO2IDE config file has D1 mapped to an ATR file whose name contains lower case letters. Pursuing this further, it appears that ATR files on the CF card with lower case characters in their filenames don't mount at all. The device works perfectly with D1 mapped to "LW.ATR" or "PC.ATR" but consistently times out with "MyDOS453.ATR" or "Paperclip.ATR".

The solution in this case is simple: give all the ATR files uppercase names.

Good point. :) Well, I hope I discovered something useful here (about the lowercase filenames).

I did have some problems with ATR's that wouldn't mount once. I don't know if I ever did get them working, and now that I think about it I think they did have lowercase letters in them. Good catch!

• 9 months later...

My interest has picked up in my SIO2IDE again. Does anyone know how to wire it up so that the Atari will wait until the device has initialized before attempting to boot from a mounted drive image? I know that it's possible (in order to avoid the power-up, reset cycle), but I'm damned if I can find an accurate description of it anywhere.

Since it's connected to SIO I don't think there's an easy way to do this.

I think the only way is to make connections to the PBI/CART.

It makes sense. There was certainly a documented way of doing it: perhaps it did involve such connections. Not a problem when booting with SpartaDOS X, but I'd just like to know how to boot from cold with another DOS.

• 4 months later...

I'll help a bit: U17 pin3 (GTIA) lifted and connected to pin 9 of U18 (where's this?). Pin 10 of U18 connected to what? Does the hole vacated by pin3 of GTIA get connected to anything?

Can anyone clarify the reset mod schematic? I just realized that SIO2IDE won't pick up config.sys when the computer first powers up, since the IDE device doesn't initialize in time.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you fill us in on what this is supposed to do? If we knew its function, it may be easier to 'decode'.

From what I understand, the drive does not come ready soon enough? The initial boot finds the drive not ready?

They may be using the SIO READY line to reset the HD from the computer. The 'fix' may be to reset the HD when you power on the SIO2IDE, instead.

Does that look like what their doing? Have you tried a CF card? Does that work with no mods?

Bob

OK. Found this myself:

S2I_SCH_3.0 with Reset Modification.pdf

Can anyone decypher the incomplete reset_out instructions in the boxout at the bottom?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Please...?

Can you fill us in on what this is supposed to do? If we knew its function, it may be easier to 'decode'.

From what I understand, the drive does not come ready soon enough? The initial boot finds the drive not ready?

They may be using the SIO READY line to reset the HD from the computer. The 'fix' may be to reset the HD when you power on the SIO2IDE, instead.

Does that look like what their doing? Have you tried a CF card? Does that work with no mods?

Yeah - sorry Bob. It's been so long since I originally posted this, I forgot it would be appropriate to give some background information.

The mod is as far as I understand intended to prevent the computer from booting until the SIO2IDE firmware has initialized. Normally, it's necessary to power on the computer (assuming SIO2IDE is powered off the 5v line on the SIO), then do a coldstart since the SIO2IDE isn't ready to be polled when the computer first powers up. The modification would result in a successful disk read on the first powerup sequence. That's the idea...

I had thought that SpartaDOS X would boot slowly enough for the device to be ready in time, but it appears to read CONFIG.SYS before it polls the system for available drives, so the mod is still required. The unit works perfectly well with a CF card but the necessity to do a second cold boot is tiresome.

Clearly some characters have been missed off the diagram, and they are critical to understanding the sense of it.

What if you just hold the RESET key down while you power on the Atari? You can add a 1-10ufd capacitor to the 555 timer that will extend RESET, also. Doesn't seem like a great idea since that would run RESET out to 5-10 seconds for every time you triggered it.

If you want to boot SIO2IDE, hold down RESET. If you want to skip SIO2IDE, leave RESET alone.

This is a Bypass feature designed into the machine, isn't it?

Bob

Yeah - sorry Bob. It's been so long since I originally posted this, I forgot it would be appropriate to give some background information.

The mod is as far as I understand intended to prevent the computer from booting until the SIO2IDE firmware has initialized. Normally, it's necessary to power on the computer (assuming SIO2IDE is powered off the 5v line on the SIO), then do a coldstart since the SIO2IDE isn't ready to be polled when the computer first powers up. The modification would result in a successful disk read on the first powerup sequence. That's the idea...

I had thought that SpartaDOS X would boot slowly enough for the device to be ready in time, but it appears to read CONFIG.SYS before it polls the system for available drives, so the mod is still required. The unit works perfectly well with a CF card but the necessity to do a second cold boot is tiresome.

Clearly some characters have been missed off the diagram, and they are critical to understanding the sense of it.

Yes... you're correct. I found a 130XE and tried it. Even if you hold RESET down on power up, it boots the machine normally.

Great.

How about holding down START? That puts you into cassette boot and will do a coldstart when you hit RESET.

Extending RESET for every boot doesn't seem like a good idea, although it would be easy to do. If you could get into the code in the SIO2IDE, you could probably just hold up the STATUS query on the SIO devices long enough to get the drive ready. Maybe do a dummy handler load or some such.

Bob

If you want to boot SIO2IDE, hold down RESET. (...) This is a Bypass feature designed into the machine, isn't it?

This only works on XL. In XE they fixed the "feature": RESET is triggered on the Reset key release.