IGNORED

TAC-2 Joystick....How good is it?

jboypacman

It's my exclusive stick for systems that utilize that particular type of joystick. I use it for the 2600, C-64, Atari 8-bit computers, etc. LOVE it. Everybody always gushes about the Wicos, but I say bollocks, the TAC beats it hands down.

Its an improvement over the standard crippler controllers. Very solid though. A little small for my meat hooks.
Hmmm...the TAC-2 is huge imo. I believe you're thinking of the Slik-Stik. Its also made by Suncom and is essentially the same design only smaller and having one fire button.

The TAC-2 is solid, but a little on the large side.

Edited by Prodos8

My TAC-2 is hooked up to my computer through the Stelladpator, which is the main way I play 2600 games now.

As far as directional movement goes, this is the best 2600 joystick I've ever used. It feels like an arcade stick, more so than any of the Wico sticks (which I own about a half dozen.)

The buttons on mine are not responsive enough for the faster action games. But I think this is because it has had heavy use and is not a fault of the model.

I found 4 tac-2's at the thrift 2 years back,grabbed all of them.They feel solid as heck in your hand.I heard the design was taken from an actual high quality Arcade joystick.That accounts for their durability.What other criteria is better than the test of an arcade.I like their looks as well,a great stik.I keep them dust free and polished to look better than new.A little over the top i know,but im like that with anything of high quality and performance cus it deserves it.

Edited by Rik

I found 4 tac-2's at the thrift 2 years back,grabbed all of them.They feel solid as heck in your hand.I heard the design was taken from an actual high quality Arcade joystick.That accounts for their durability.What other criteria is better than the test of an arcade.I like their looks as well,a great stik.I keep them dust free and polished to look better than new.A little over the top i know,but im like that with anything of high quality and performance cus it deserves it.

The design is so simple yet so perfect. I took mine apart when I purchased them, cleaned the contacts with a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol. I then clean the plastics with lemon Pledge. Put it all back together and it works and smells better than new!

Nothing is worse than that "trapped in the cellar/attic for decades" smell I find on so many used Atari products I buy online.

Tac-2's are great and a bit better from the slik-stik for bigger hands. But being THE best joystick for the Atari 2600? Far off.. :)

Talking about the absolute best in joystick making for the 2600 platform (and all other 9pin compatible consoles/computers) there is only one king of kings:

The TOMAHAWK

tomahawk-1.jpg

tomahawk2.jpg

State of the art microswitches, indestructible construction.. the ultimate evolution of the one button styled joysticks (came out with two buttons as well in the PACMAN branded series, but nothing beats out the good old Tomahawk).

• Like 2

Tac-2's are great and a bit better from the slik-stik for bigger hands. But being THE best joystick for the Atari 2600? Far off.. :)

State of the art microswitches, indestructible construction.. the ultimate evolution of the one button styled joysticks (came out with two buttons as well in the PACMAN branded series, but nothing beats out the good old Tomahawk).

The Tac-2 fits in your hands, that looks like it would be cumbersome in your hands. If it is better suited as a desktop joystick, then it looks too small for that purpose to me. I'd rather use a Sega arcade stick. But my favorite feature of the Tac-2 is the left-handed button. I never liked the cx40s for that reason. Is the Pac-man stick still named a Tomahawk? Who made them? UK? AU? US?

The Tomahawk is no cumbersome at all. It is actually a bit bigger base than the regular CX40, but still remains regularly shaped and has nothing to do with arcade board sized controls. Just because of the shape of it.. looks deceive terribly, as its not a full arcade sized stick/ball, but a rather miniscale of it.. with the same lethal ingredients of course! Its definition as a desktop joystick.. nah, I always play my joysticks by placing them on my knee, so this one is no exception. In the picture next to the Atari ST, its easy to judge its decent small size.

Both Tomahawk and the Pacman (Later models of Tomahawk were branded as Pacman's till they were replaced by the two button model till their final phase out in mid 90's) were made in Greece in the late 80's and they are highly sought after and hard to find. No wonder on this, since its the ultimate joystick and their owners still use them with no mercy. I have never seen any of these broken or even by chance defective through all those decades.

Edited by phil_vr

• 2 years later...

The Tomahawk is no cumbersome at all. It is actually a bit bigger base than the regular CX40, but still remains regularly shaped and has nothing to do with arcade board sized controls. Just because of the shape of it.. looks deceive terribly, as its not a full arcade sized stick/ball, but a rather miniscale of it.. with the same lethal ingredients of course! Its definition as a desktop joystick.. nah, I always play my joysticks by placing them on my knee, so this one is no exception. In the picture next to the Atari ST, its easy to judge its decent small size.

Both Tomahawk and the Pacman (Later models of Tomahawk were branded as Pacman's till they were replaced by the two button model till their final phase out in mid 90's) were made in Greece in the late 80's and they are highly sought after and hard to find. No wonder on this, since its the ultimate joystick and their owners still use them with no mercy. I have never seen any of these broken or even by chance defective through all those decades.

Just wondering, it seems you're from the US. Where did you get that Tomahawk? Did you have to import it? How much do they usually cost?

I know this is a necrothread bump but I am curious, why do people like the Tac 2 sticks so much or any of the more common sticks that don't use microswitches? My favorite stick so far is the Epyx 500XJ since it has microswitches and a very light throw.

I do not like sticks with a heavy throw to them. That is why I absolutely hate the stock Atari 2600 joysticks and their derivatives.

One of these days, I'm going to build me a nice 2600 joystick using arcade parts.

Just wondering, it seems you're from the US. Where did you get that Tomahawk? Did you have to import it? How much do they usually cost?

Did you note the date of the original post? :P

Just warning in case you don't get a response.