IGNORED

Star Wars Arcade: Genesis 32X

Gunstar

This is a pretty darn cool game! It's my first 32X title I purchased with the unit yestereday and I'm loving it! the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's not FULL 6 degrees of movement, that is, you can't do loops and stuff, it's kind of like Cybermorph or Battlemorph on the Jaguar in the sense that you can only move up&down so much and most movement is left&right 360*...sometimes tiefighters are a bit above you where you can't get at them! This game would have been KILLER on the Jaguar with it's garuad shading&lighsourcing like Battlesphere, maybe even a little bit of texture mapping. It's certainly no Wing Commander or Battlesphere, but it's cool. It reminds me of the GameCube Star Wars game I tried for a bit at EB, just no t-mapping. It's too bad that LucasArts didn't put this game out on the Jaguar as it's from the same era& thye would have sold AT LEAST as many as they did on the 32X, I do believe the Jaguar outsold the 32X at least...Now I just have to get Shadow Squadron on the 32X...is it any good? There are only a handful of 32X titles I want anyhow, those two included, and also; Virtuaracing Deluxe, Metal Head, T-mek, and maybe one or two others...eventually I'll get the SegaCD for a few games like Soul Star (unless Songbird or someone finds the "lost" JaguarCD version...they do have one "mystery" title coming soon...)

Any suggestions people? Any 32X users here?

• 2 weeks later...
Give Star Trek a whirl too, the SNES one was good, but that was by far the superior version.

Yeah, Star Trek had a few miserable bugs in it, but it was cool; at least Accolade spent a good year and a half or so redesigning it before re-releasing it for the PC.

Even though people consider it the "joke" version, Doom was what got me started on that severe obsession of that game (yet I heard the Sega Saturn and 3D0 versions were worse, and the latter's pretty pathetic, especially since they reportedly had the best version of Wolfenstein at the time since they gave you a map!).

Shadow Squadron is a pretty cool game.

Yeah, it's breaking of physics laws and all are absolutely ridiculous--i. e. every SINGLE ship part you have to blow up retains total firepower until the ship's destroyed [!], but it was different.

On another gaming website that I frequent, www.classicgaming.com, they have a Game Of The Week feature, and I wrote one for S. Squadron. But the thing is, they do about 6-8 GOTWs on the main opening page before they all go on the main GOTW page, which it isn't on there yet, so you can't see it right now, or else I'd do the link to it. The guy who edits them is in school and he has to take care of his mother, who has 4th stage rectal cancer, so he's pretty busy right now.

Also, Kolibri was good, although to me it seemed like Sonic the Hedgehog 37, except Sonic was replaced with a hummingbird. But it's too hard on Normal and too boring on Easy, so it doesn't really have replay value, as a lot of the levels are very hard (not to mention weird).

There are only a handful of 32X titles I want anyhow, those two included, and also; Virtuaracing Deluxe, Metal Head, T-mek, and maybe one or two others...Any suggestions people? Any 32X users here?

Geez, I keep on adding to this, although the above I missed the first time around, as I was in a hurry tonight...

Metal Head I didn't really like, as it had some glitches in it, but then again, you liked Star Wars, so maybe you'll like it (I didn't like S. Wars much, sorry!). T-Mek I was disappointed at, since the controls are overly responsive: you barely press the directional button on your pad, you zoom past a bleepin' target. Even if you're shooting a lot, you're still going to miss targets a good 40% of the time (just a guess, nothing approximate). On a minor note, the brief cinematic interludes and pictures of your opponets are also cut out, yet on the box it says the cinematic bits are in the game, which is a lie, or they changed it later in production.

I also heard Blackthorne "kicked ass" (pardon the language, just quoting from a review), although that was released on several platforms. I wanted that game and meant to get it, but I got my 32X late and it was sold out by the time I was going to get it :_(

Gunstar, my opinions:

You absolutley must get Virtua Racing 32X, the definition of the series! I sold my 32X back in the day just to pick another one up a couple of months ago so I could play this game. Must Have.

Star Wars: looks nice but too repetitive for my taste.

Doom: My first experience playing it fully, great game! No save feature! Played all 21 levels in 4 hours and was a big bag of shaking, sweating nerves! It was an experience I'll never forget. I also want to mention that I think Doom on the Saturn is the best console Doom out there, better than the 32X and Jag easily.

And there is nothing more satisfying than the original Virtua Fighter, I wasted many hours with this game.

Enjoy!

Markimus of K.

I never saw Doom on the Saturn -- do you mean the PSX version? Saturn had Duke Nukem & Powserslave (great ports!), and Hexen (choppy), and Quake, but I personally never saw Saturn Doom.

I also played Doom first on 32X, and I remember thinking it was awesome. But it looks like crap compared to any decent PC version, with the 32X version suffereing screen borders, a decent frame rate but lack of color & a bit too much grain IMO.

Anyway, I loved Star Wars for about a month, then i disliked it ever after. The manual said you can destory the Star Destroyers, which would have been so awesome, but YOU CAN'T. Also, it gets too hard after the trench scene, I never beat this game.

It's been stated before, Virtua Racing Deluxe 32X is the BEST version of the game at home. It was coded by Sega of Japan, I've read (though the 32X didn't come out in Japan?), and you can tell -- fast framerate and smooth, fast, competitive racing. 5 tracks which can be mirrored. The Saturn version pushes a bit more geometry but doesn't have the impact or effect of the 32X version, which captures the coin-op version's intensity very well.

The Saturn version was by Time Warner, and I'll play it but its busted.