IGNORED

Help with choosing games

daznic

Hi all, total newbie here to atari but with lots of other 8 bit experience ( C64, spectrum, Amstrad )

I`ve just got my first Atari, a 65XE and I`m waiting delivery of an SIO2PC cable.

I`m searching for the best games to try on my new toy but I`m a bit confused, there are so many Atari models with different capabilities and memory, but I want to find games that were specifically made for my machine ( 800xl equivalent ) I`ve downloaded lots of games to try ( searching for "Atari 8 bit games" ) only to find they are early pre-800xl games and not utilizing the full capability and memory of my machine.

I`m not asking for a full list of games or anything, just some pointers in the right direction would be great !!

Cheers !!

Hi all, total newbie here to atari but with lots of other 8 bit experience ( C64, spectrum, Amstrad )

I`ve just got my first Atari, a 65XE and I`m waiting delivery of an SIO2PC cable.

I`m searching for the best games to try on my new toy but I`m a bit confused, there are so many Atari models with different capabilities and memory, but I want to find games that were specifically made for my machine ( 800xl equivalent ) I`ve downloaded lots of games to try ( searching for "Atari 8 bit games" ) only to find they are early pre-800xl games and not utilizing the full capability and memory of my machine.

I`m not asking for a full list of games or anything, just some pointers in the right direction would be great !!

Cheers !!

Since you got an SIO2PC, have you considered a maxflash cart? If you are up to spending another $44, most of my favorites are on this image.

Well since you have a 65XE I would think you have the base 64K ram to run pretty much anything. Most games tend to aim for <64K as a rule, but if you like demos you'll want to mod it up to more.

So, when you have your SIO2PC setup running, a few games I hit up on my APE playlist:

Yoomp! (just... gorgeous. I can see into infinity...)

Alternate Reality: The City (if you played other versions you'll be shocked as to how good this is on A8 - it was meant to be on this hardware)

Jet Set Willy 2007 (do NOT play the official JSW on A8 - ick)

Montezuma's Revenge! (find the version with the intro - again, the best version is on the A8)

Archon (just finally learned how to play this - wowza)

Drol (the bane of the A8 High Score club but I love it :D )

Thanks guys, what a friendly lot you are ( unlike some forums I`ve visited )

Yes my Atari is a PAL 65XE

Now really looking forward to getting my SIO2PC !, I`l try some of your suggestions on an Emu while I`m waiting.

B.T.W I`ve just been in our loft and found something I did not know was there, a boxed 2600 with joysticks and loads of Carts !!

I think I got it from a car boot sale years ago before I was into Retro and never tried it. Its an early woody model.

:)

Update, just got my 2600 I found in the loft unboxed, the games are:-

Jr Pac-Man

Combat

Joust

Pitfall

Starmaster

Asteroids

Pac-Man

Dig Dug

Indy 500

Q-Bert

Pole Position

Miner 2049er

Decathlon

Keystone Capers

Defender

Popeye

Kanagroo

Space Invaders

This will keep me busy for a while !! :)

Update, just got my 2600 I found in the loft unboxed, the games are:-

Jr Pac-Man

Combat

Joust

Pitfall

Starmaster

Asteroids

Pac-Man

Dig Dug

Indy 500

Q-Bert

Pole Position

Miner 2049er

Decathlon

Keystone Capers

Defender

Popeye

Kanagroo

Space Invaders

This will keep me busy for a while !! :)

Well 5 minutes until the flicker drives you mad and you run back to your XE begging for forgiveness :P