IGNORED

5200 Emulation Problems

Tempest

I've always used VSS for my 5200 emulation, but I've found that it doesn't seem to play my prototype roms correctly. For instance, in Roadrunner the colors are all off with the Roadrunner being green and the background is pink! It also doesn't like many of my WIP prototypes (which is understandable).

What does everyone else use for 5200 emulation? I need an emualtor I can take pictures in for my website.

Tempest

Well, by TV Tuner card I mean that it has a coaxial TV in jack. If this is what you have, then you can directly hook the game system to the TV Tuner Card. Then there are certain programs to capture whatever comes in the input, into pictures or movies. You can pick up TV Tuner cards on ebay for VERY cheap, and I would recommend doing that for screenshots for your site.

Tempest-

I use VSS for my roms too and nearly all of them have some sort

of color problem- even released games.

Greens turn to Browns etc...

However, VSS runs 90-95 percent of the roms I have ?

Ice Cold has a good idea using the Video card-

I just got 1 and it works pretty good for capturing screenshots.

It isn't the very best quality, but it has 3 different settings to choose from.

Some better cards have s-video too.

If you can't find an emu that runs all your roms-

try your V-card, run all your proto carts thru your 5200

from the vid out on your TV to the vid in on the card.

Atleast the colors will come out right.

You might have to tweak the brightness levels a bit tho'.

If you have a V-card already give it a shot ?

This isn't too bad is it ?

http://personal.riverusers.com/~clghog/52SGoofy2.jpg

Later,[/url]

VSS plays a bit faster than normal for me, but I like it despite some color issues. Colors on VSS are brighter than usual and brilliant. VSS doesn't catch it when certain timings are exceeded, but that doesn't matter so much when you play the real Atari games from the 80's.

Atari800win 3.0 is the most accurate emulator between VSS and itself, I know this by comparing Koffi results on both and the real system for about a half year now. Atari800win has some botched colors too though, and it seems to crash for me a lot, losing all its settings every time. Crap!

Never tried Mess or Jum.

Honestly I couldn't figure it out.  Too many freakin directories and parameter files.  I suppose I could give it another go...

Is Dreanaught Factor that expensive?  I thought it was under $15.

Tempest

Hmm, I just have it setup the same way as my 7800 files and it works fine. Something like this:

Bios goes here: Mess61bbiosa52005200.rom

Games go here: Mess61bsoftwarea5200game.bin

Try that and see if it works. :)

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

You know, I've never ever played or seen Dreadnaught Factor. It looks like a good game, but I just never tried it.  I keep my eyes peeled for a cart but have yet to find one.

When I had a 5200, besides Berzerk, this was the game I played most. It is an intense game...

speaking of 5200 emulators, anyone else burn that 5200 emulator for the Dreamcast (the one reported on the front page)? It's pretty darn good! I had a great time playing Joust last night with it, and it seemed pretty spot-on, I guess it did feel like playing a 5200 on the tv with a Dreamcast controller.

From what I could tell it played about 60-70% of the games, I also played Countermeasure and had a blast (I even killed myself off to see the skull). One improvement they did was when you pull the right trigger, it shows a rendered display of the 5200 keypad, so now that's available.

It's great, especially for those experiencing withdrawal since all my 5200's and games are nowhere near me at the moment. :) But also for those who have a Dreamcast and just want to try out a couple of 5200 games..

Easy to burn too. Aside from the page listed in the front at Atariage, this one gave great directions: http://members.chello.nl/~m.schuitemaker/atari/

And here's the list of games that work: http://members.chello.nl/~m.schuitemaker/a.../5200_start.htm

However the one drawback is it's not user friendly. It's unintuitive to get a game to load (you have to read the directions on the site above). And even then you have to choose the right cartridge type otherwise it'll crash. And Tempest.. sorry, Xari Arena crashes no matter what :(. But overall... a cool thing to burn and have fun with. :)