IGNORED

SF354 Floppy Speed Adjustment

I have two SF354 drives and I'm having problems. I can format disks in each drive; however, drive A will not read a disk formatted in drive B and vice versa. I know that the SF354 drive has a speed adjustment; however, I need a program that monitors the speed of the drive. I know STart magazine published a version, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have a good procedure for adjusting the speed of the SF354 or point me in the right direction to find one?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Found the speed checking program. It's called speed.prg and was published in Special Issue #4 of STart magazine (1988, vol. 3, # 2) in the article titled Small Tools by David Small and Dan Moore. Does anyone have a copy?

Update: Found the speed checking program. It's called speed.prg and was published in Special Issue #4 of STart magazine (1988, vol. 3, # 2) in the article titled Small Tools by David Small and Dan Moore. Does anyone have a copy?

I may have that disk.

EDIT: Here it is.

SPEED.ZIP

Edited by TwiliteZoner

TwiliteZoner: If you have it, can you send me a copy? I'll pay for the postage and disk. I don't have a way to transfer files from my PC to the ST. Any suggestions?

PM your address and I'll send it out to you. Does your computer have a floppy drive? Do you have DC Utilities for your ST? There are several ST programs that will write an MS-DOS boot sector on your disk that will enable your PC to read it.

Let me know.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

• 3 weeks later...

Got the speed.prg program in the mail today. My drives still wouldn't read the disk, so I cracked them open and adjusted the potentiostat at VR02 slightly until I could get each drive to read the disk, then I ran the program and fine tuned the drive speed. Obtained 300 +/-1 on each drive. Both drives work beautifully now and can read disks regardless of which drive has written files to the disk. Much thanks to Twilitezoner for your help.

For anyone else who is having problems with their SF354 drive, I highly recommend giving speed.prg a shot. I didn't realize just how sensitive disk drives are to such small variances in drive speed.